Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

took a "nap"

2K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  Rex Coil 7 
#1 ·
So my bike decided to take a "nap" yesterday while I was trying to turn around on a dirt patch. :crying: It went down in slow motion...I have tried searching online for parts, but have been unsuccessful. I have a 2017 1200S and I need a need clutch lever, and left hand guard. I believe I can remove the light and install it into the new guard? Other than that no other damage sans some fairing scrape. I think I should be able to replace the guard myself, but the clutch lever i'm not sure on. Ugg...and it was such a nice ride until that moment. please help.
Fed

#2 ·
#3 ·
We all feel your pain, I think most of us have had something like that happen.

The clutch lever is easily replaced, there are lots of aftermarket ones out there. You should be able to order any OEM parts through Ducati Omaha online, or through your dealer (Ducati Omaha stocks A LOT of parts) if you don't mind waiting the "6 weeks away from Italy".

I don't know how the hand-guard mounted lights install, but if they're like my mirror-mounted signals the wiring needs to be disconnected around the steering tube someplace and pulled back through the bars. If you have to do this then tie a string onto the end connectors before you pull it through so you can pull the new wiring back easily.

#22 ·
Seems I was wrong on this price, it's $75 at Ducati Omaha website, part number 4601c312aa, and they call it a knuckle guard. Mine was a 2014 so...sorry. It was a couple years ago at least that I replaced it.

The clutch lever, price $140 part number was 62610131A.

After breaking mine I bought a set of Barkbuster alu wrap arounds.

#5 ·
Only the last 3/4" of the lever snapped, it is still functional. If the guard is only $25 I need to order than now, I have it held together with gorilla tape :( I sent them emails, as I can not find the part numbers online. thanks for the quick replies guys.

#13 ·
If you don't want to wait for a response from the dealer, diagram and part numbers are in the online catalog on page 96-97 in the link I posted above. From there, you can go to Ducati Omaha's homepage and enter the part numbers to get pricing...

#6 ·
As many levers I've swapped over the years I can pretty much tell you they're interchangeable, 999, sf, multi, same thing, if you're going to get new ones get a set of foldable ones, on a tip over like that they flip right up

Reactions: TheFeds
#10 ·
Probably no brand, can't remember having one that why they weren't very expensive.
I think I have another set with a different color combo, let me look, you may be in luck

#12 ·
No good, sorry, they're on Ebay for around $50 or $60, probably Chinese but I can vouch they're very nice and every bike of mine has had a set.
Cheers!

#14 ·
Just inspect the Chinese ones very carefully. There have been instances where guys have reported the Chinese brake levers that weren't machined properly caused their brakes to drag and boiled their brake fluid causing them to lock up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Not to open a debate or side with the cheaper ones but there's adjustments that need to be looked at no matter what you install, not always plug and play.
The fit and finish is above a brand that sells for over $300, I speak for my own experience soo..... my point is don't knock it until you try it, I had at least 6 sets so far and never ever had a single issue with them, believe what you like!
$.02!

You need to cure brake drag?
The plunger needs adjusting!
Cheers!

#17 ·
#20 ·
Mine is a Monster. I found a helpful youtube video. Iirc, I had to push out bushings at the pivot point of the old levers and put them in the new levers. Ymmv.

#21 ·
Your hardest job is the pushing back in the plungers, make sure you don't pinch the boot and coat them with vaseline, biodegradable and slippery enough to soften up the boot.
5 min., 10 if you never done it

Reactions: Monster4Lee
#27 ·
... coat them with vaseline, biodegradable ...
Vaseline Petroleum Jelly? I didn't know anything made from ~petroleum~ was biodegradable ... news to me!

:grin2:

"Vaseline is a versatile fix-it solution, it is composed of unsustainable and unhealthy materials that are hazardous to the environment around it."

LINK = https://www.designlife-cycle.com/vaseline

:rolleyes:

#23 ·
The signal light unit attaches with some f'n tiny screws. I can't remember if they're Torx or hex; whatever I thought they were at first, I was wrong. Replacing the lever isn't difficult; at least the brake side wasn't...that's the side mine took a nap on.

#26 ·
Sorry for the really late response.

I have a Craftsman set of small Torx drivers that I got when the local Sears store closed. They should still be available; I think that both Ace Hardware and Lowe's carry Craftsman tools now. That's so small, I would probably not trust the Harbor Freight version (if there is such a thing). HTH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.