Dunne's MTS at PP - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By t-bills

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2019, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

Dunne's MTS at PP

What's the tune of his motor? Is it a semi-stock MTS motor, or more 1198/SF tune?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2019, 6:54 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3B43 View Post
What's the tune of his motor? Is it a semi-stock MTS motor, or more 1198/SF tune?
there've been a couple Pikes Peak runs... I do recall one of them talking about how the bike was basically stock (termi and some suspension tweaks) but don't remember if Dunne ever discussed his setup.

I'd think given the nature of that race that having more of a superbike power curve would make sense but with the DVT thing you can't just swap cams to get there.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2019, 6:25 am
Sophomore Member

The first year he ran it on the Multi, it was pretty much stock minus the tires. That's because he took it off the showroom floor. I just saw his 2018 in person. Obviously, I couldn't determine anything with the motor, but the bike has been modified more than I was expecting. It had OZ wheels, cobbled together rearsets, and a custom titanium exhaust with a short termi can on it. Handlebars had been changed along with some cutting on bodywork to make the bars work. The part that surprised me was the suspension. I didn't get a picture of it, but the rear shock wasn't the stock Ohlins unit on the PP.

I got a laugh out of the brake reservoir. With the handguards removed, the mount for the reservoir goes away. The reservoir was zip tied onto the mirror mount.

Thomas Williams
2018 Multistrada PP, 2012 Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP, 1995 900SS/SP

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2019, 8:52 am Thread Starter

The reason for my question, is that I've heard two different stories on his motor: semi-mod'ed to 1198+ status. Granted, my sources for this info are sketchy, but with KTM running their 1290R, the MTS would be giving up quite a bit in HP/torque. Yes, I've seen the OZ wheels/pegs/exhaust/etc., just wondering about the motor. We'll probably never know.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2019, 10:18 am
Sophomore Member

The DVT motor might be giving up hp, but not torque, which is desirable for pulling you out of the sharp, steep corners. I cant see Ducati Ducati putting an 1198 motor guts in it with the DVT covers, etc. For the appearance.

I think the honest answer for the speed of the Multi up PP lies with the operator.
DuckMan likes this.

Thomas Williams
2018 Multistrada PP, 2012 Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP, 1995 900SS/SP
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2019, 11:44 am Thread Starter

Sorry, I should have clarified. I wasn't talking about the DVT motor, but the non-DVT.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3B43 View Post
Sorry, I should have clarified. I wasn't talking about the DVT motor, but the non-DVT.
So you mean the 11 or 12 Multi he won with that year? Might be tough to figure out if it was stock or not without going to PP and asking Dunne this year:

Quote:
Despite what you will hear from the privateers, the Ducati team is running fairly stock machines. All the street-legal pieces have been removed of course, with Tracyís #555 machine getting a bit more attention to its modifications than Dunneís #5 machine. Both bikes benefit from upgraded brakes, which feature Brembo MotoGP radial master cylinders and brakes pads, as well as the Ducati Superbike 1198ís monoblock brake calipers.

Suspension is stock, but has been massaged by Paul Thede at Race Tech, while Akrapovic has built a special Evolution exhaust for the Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Pikes Peak race bikes (six were made for the team, with only 50 units built for consumers worldwide, 20 of which will be coming the US). Glossy aluminum superbike wheels are courtesy of OZ Wheels, while the subframe and bodywork have also been modified by the team.

Both bikes feature a full-band auto-tuning ECU system, which should help the Multistradaís deal with the massive altitude change over the course of the race (the starting line is at 9,300, while the finish line is at 14,100 feet). Ducati wonít talk openly about modifications to the motor, though it was suggested that not much work has been done to the machines internally. We can imagine that both the #5 and #555 bikes have had their engines blueprinted, and that none of the major components have been altered.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Garage
The regs for the PPIHC motorcycle event require that the engine used be basically stock, and available for purchase by the public. Since the 1198 motor is no longer in production, and the 1260 DVT is the engine used in the MTS, I think we can reasonably say they're running a mostly stock 1260 engine. AFAIK the regs don't talk about tuning, and with that custom Termi system I'm sure they have a custom tune as well. If the internals are stock, though, there is only so much you can do with a tune.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2019, 10:45 am

Pikes Peak

I was at the 2018 Pikes Peak. They started with two stock Multistradas from Ducati. They used engines out of a Diavel with modified transmissions from the race shop in Italy. The WSB team gave them some brake parts. The team did their modifications, including a ram air system etc. They said they where under horse power compared to BMW bikes entered. I have photos of the bikes on this site under REDDOG50 pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode