Multistrada VS other Sport Tourers? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 12:59 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Multistrada VS other Sport Tourers?

Looking to pick up a sport touring bike before my planned bike trip in just a couple weeks.

I have been looking at a couple ST's from various manufactures this past week and really want to pull the trigger on one this week to give me enough time to get it inspected, serviced, tagged and titled before the trip.

I am looking to spend around 7k for it, and have found a few bikes in my area in that price range.

Out of the Mulitstradas, the years I have found in my price range (not extensively searching, like literally just today) were 2010 to 2012. All with under 20k miles on them.

Is there a big difference between the 2010,2011, and 2012?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I support the police, just not the spelling ones.

Last edited by CinKo; Apr 1st, 2019 at 1:14 pm. Reason: Shortened
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 1:21 pm

Garage
@CinKo
In my honest opinion, any of those bikes mentioned in the first edition of your post will do the job. I'd pick a Japanese for the low maintenance cost.
Reason being is that I just didn't feel any passion based on what you wrote originally.
It's the passion that drove me to buy the Multi. I can equally say the same for the Monster.
What I read (in your pre-edited draft) was a need not a want.
Have I misinterpreted what you were saying as your shortened post is now completely different than your original long version?
Shubz likes this.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak ------ 2016 Monster 1200 R
2016 Panigale 959 (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by DarR; Apr 1st, 2019 at 1:35 pm.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 3:36 pm

Garage
Passion should be important in choosing to own an Italian bike... otherwise you may find yourself regretting it pretty quickly. Part of the reason for that is that they're expensive to own and they can be finicky... and you need to feel that your money is well spent or it'll just annoy you and ruin your experience with the bike.

I'd say your budget of $7k makes me worry - it means you're price conscious and maybe need to stretch your dollars a bit. There's nothing wrong with that... most of us have been there (I sure have been)... but it makes me think that bang for your buck is going to be important. Japanese bikes are often hard to beat for "bang for the buck"... both in purchase price as well as operating cost.

If you wrench on your bikes yourself and are comfortable with that then this doesn't apply as much (though materials can be expensive too) - but if you take your bike to a shop for routine maintenance then you really need to factor that in... I figured it out for a thread a week or two ago but I think I spend on average around $1500/year (which is about 7 months long here in NY) for routine maintenance and consumables on my Multi (tires, chains, desmo service, oil service...) and I've spent even more than that per year on farkles (wheels, rapidbike evo, pipe, tire pressure monitor, other electronic gizmos, carbon fiber bits). Stuff for this bike is expensive.

So - think about the whole package and what really fits your needs and wants (and abilities and budget).

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 6:46 pm

Garage
Keep in mind the valve adjustment is at 15k miles, which is often around the time guys sell them. It's a significant expense if you take it to the dealer, unless you're mechanically capable of performing it yourself.
The initial investment isn't what's draining; that's the easy part frankly. It's the running costs that really add up. My previous bike was a Yamaha FZ-06 and I could buy all the parts for an oil change at Autozone for <$40 and do it in my garage in 30 minutes.

I did a search for 2010-2014 Multi's within 400 miles on Cycle Trader, and the cheapest one was $6900 and had 28k miles. The average is about $10k. Considering that's the bottom of your price range, I would suggest getting something else that aligns more with your budget. There's always going to be insurance, registration, maintenance, gear, farkles, etc. to consume any left over cash. I'd hate to see you buy the cheapest one available and then have to shell out a couple grand for an issue that popped up.
For around $7k I'd recommend a FJ-09. You can find used ones around $6-7k with 5k miles. The triple is a good midrange engine and they're reliable and have much cheaper running costs.

I can say my right side brain really loves the Multi as an emotional experience, but the left side brain constantly points out all the pitfalls of Ducati ownership:
You have to take it to the dealer to reset the oil service light? What do you mean an oil change is $180 and I have to wait 4 hours? I can do it in my garage for $60 and a half hour if it weren't for the resetting the damn light!
You spent how much and they still can't get a fuel gauge to work? Wait, the fuel gauge brake AGAIN!?
What do you mean Italy is on shutdown the entire month of August? I have to wait an entire month to get parts?

If Yamaha or Honda could make a competitor to the Multi that had some character I would go back in a heart beat.

2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring

Last edited by engineered2win; Apr 1st, 2019 at 6:54 pm.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 7:03 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys for the feedback, let me start with the reason I shortened my first post, I realized I wrote a dang novel for a thread post and didnt want to waste anyones time trying to go through that all, when all I really want to know is my best options for sport touring bikes...and as this is a ducati forum, just wanted to switch right to the basics and ask about the multistrada.

Personally I do work in my own bikes, I've done tear downs and rebuilds before, so I'm not to terribly worried... the issue in this stage in my life is I'm more time restrained then any thing else. My budget is my immediate cash at hand "approved" for another bike. Not that I will be strapped when it comes to service cost.

I really just cant find that perfect bike I want... and I think trying to rush this decision before the trip may in fact be the worst way to start it.

Honestly I'm now thinking I may just rent something and verify if that's what I want to buy or not. The sport touring field is new to me and quite frankly the options are overwhelming.
jheurte likes this.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 7:26 am
North Carolina, USA

2012. All the niggles from the first two years were worked out.

'12 Multi Touring these days
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new Thruxton R
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 8:43 am

Garage
@CinKo
Given you already own a Ducati 916, a sport tourer is a nice offset.
From a purely economical perspective without passion or emotion, I'd take a Yamaha 900 FJ-09.
BTW, I liked your original long post.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak ------ 2016 Monster 1200 R
2016 Panigale 959 (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 11:11 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
@CinKo
Given you already own a Ducati 916, a sport tourer is a nice offset.
From a purely economical perspective without passion or emotion, I'd take a Yamaha 900 FJ-09.
BTW, I liked your original long post.
Lol and yes fj-09 is a good bike, and there are plenty set up already in my price point... I actually only excluded this bike because it's my friends bike who I ride with and I'm doing the trip with him. I'm a bit opposite to the fact that I actually don't want something other people have... but maybe in this case I have to revisit the thought of that bike as a good option.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2019, 10:51 pm

Garage
Buy the FJ and you will always wonder what it be like to own a Duc

2016 PP Multi
2016 BMW GSA
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2019, 6:39 am

In my opinion, the Multistrada isn't a true sport touring bike when compared to something like a Yamaha FJR for instance. It is definitely more on the sport side than the tour side for a couple of reasons when compared to those other type of bikes.

My previous bike was a Yamaha FJR 1300 and it was a great sport touring bike with more "touring" blood than the Multistrada. While the Multi has good ergonomics, the FJR was setup for long hauls with the electronically adjustable windshield and the adjustable seat, all it really needed was some highway pegs.

That said, the reason I went with the Multi is because it is sportier, lighter, and more fun to ride. If I was doing more touring, I'd probably try to get back into something like the FJR.

As far as maintenance costs go, I am not super mechanical. But with the help of a buddy, we just did the 15,000 mile service on my bike and 45,000 service on his. It was pretty straight forward and cost us about $250 for each bike.

Ryan - Apollo Beach, FL
2013 Multistrada Pikes Peak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode