Rear suspension "clunk" - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By Rex Coil 7
  • 1 Post By DaveK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 2:16 am Thread Starter

Garage
Rear suspension "clunk"

I was wondering if anyone else was also experiencing this? Whenever I go through a pothole in the road, or drive off pavements or across a manhole cover or just hit a bump in the road (It can be 5cm to 10cm high), I hear this very loud "clunk" coming from somewhere in the back of the bike. It sometimes sounds as if there was a tool that was forgotten inside the swingarm, like a large socket or something. I am able to reproduce this clunk at will. Whenever I hear this "cluck", I can also feel it on the footpegs. If you have a person standing on the pavement and you ride off the pavement (at between 15km/h-30km/h) next to that person, he can hear it clearly. I initially thought it was the chain hitting the swingarm, but there is a thick piece of Teflon underneath the swingarm which prevents metal-to-metal contact between chain and swingarm. I have checked if it was not caused by the toolkit under the seat bouncing around, and subsequently wrapped the toolkit in some cheesecloth, but sadly this did not help at all. I am at a loss to what it can be, and very irritated with this noise coming from a supposedly "premium piece of kit".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 5:34 am

Center stand?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 8:09 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilears View Post
I was wondering if anyone else was also experiencing this? Whenever I go through a pothole in the road, or drive off pavements or across a manhole cover or just hit a bump in the road (It can be 5cm to 10cm high), I hear this very loud "clunk" coming from somewhere in the back of the bike. It sometimes sounds as if there was a tool that was forgotten inside the swingarm, like a large socket or something. I am able to reproduce this clunk at will. Whenever I hear this "cluck", I can also feel it on the footpegs. If you have a person standing on the pavement and you ride off the pavement (at between 15km/h-30km/h) next to that person, he can hear it clearly. I initially thought it was the chain hitting the swingarm, but there is a thick piece of Teflon underneath the swingarm which prevents metal-to-metal contact between chain and swingarm. I have checked if it was not caused by the toolkit under the seat bouncing around, and subsequently wrapped the toolkit in some cheesecloth, but sadly this did not help at all. I am at a loss to what it can be, and very irritated with this noise coming from a supposedly "premium piece of kit".
Mine's a 2016 DVT and I had the very same clunk and I always thought it was the front suspension. The technician tried finding the fault. Could never. I used to get the "cluck" on going over a speed bump or hitting a pothole.
Tried "harder" setting. No luck.

Finally post the Desmo service, I've lost the "cluck". Doesn't seem to be happening anymore. and the tech's still claim, nothing different was noticed or done on the bike - just followed SOP for the Desmo Service.

2012 KTM Duke; 2014 Harley Iron 883; 2015 Harley Fatboy; 2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200S DVT

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 3:57 am

My 2018 1260S is having the same problem...clunky sound from the rear when the rear wheel hit a bump or a pot hole. The sound is quite clear at lower speed. Third time going into the dealer who still couldn't figure out the cause.

Shock? IMU? Will update once they found out, if ever.

2011 Multistrada S Sport
2010 F800R
2009 FXDF 103"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 6:30 am

Try putting a zip tie around the kickstand to tie it up to the frame (or other spot) so that it's secured and not able to move down. Then go ride the bike and see if the clunk has gone away.

Be very careful when doing this ... you will need a helper. One of you will need to hold the bike upright while the other person ties the kickstand in the ~UP~ position. Same thing when you're done with the test, one person will need to hold the bike upright while the other person removes the zip tie from the kickstand. The zip tie might be replaced with a short length of tie wire.

The idea being to secure the kickstand snugly in the up position to determine if it's the cause of the clunk. It may be banging against something when you ride over something, producing that sound and feel in your footpegs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdnf View Post
Center stand?
Could just as easily be this.

Beyond that, the clunk could be any number of other things (worn out swingarm pivot, loose swingarm, loose engine mount bolts or perhaps even a broken engine bolt, loose or broken rear brake caliper mount, some other loose or broken item, and so on).

DaveK likes this.

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ...Go, Blow, Or Put A Hole In The Fence.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 6:38 am

Garage
Do the easy stuff first... on a 16 it's really unlikely to be wear (even if you put crazy miles on the bike). If you have a weak spring on either stand that would absolutely do it.

One thing you can do quickly is just rest your foot on the centerstand while you go over a bump that caused the noise. My left foot touches the centerstand regularly while riding (probably when the ball of my foot is on the peg... which is my normal riding position when I'm not actively shifting). If the sound is dampened or made worse by you putting a little pressure on the stand then you may have your culprit.
suruppak likes this.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 1:49 pm

Garage
I ve 2013 pp since 2 months.exactly the same clunk.l ve no center stand either.asked to mechanic, he says chain touch to swing arm.so l start not to care.problem over for me
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 2:35 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harun View Post
I ve 2013 pp since 2 months.exactly the same clunk.l ve no center stand either.asked to mechanic, he says chain touch to swing arm.so l start not to care.problem over for me
Oh yea... didn't even think about that but if your chain needs adjustment it can make a lot of noise when you hit bumps (you'll also get noise when changing accel... more or less throttle).

Also if your chain is at end of life it'll non-uniformly stretch and then will clunk around and click.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode