Multistrada 1260 Top Speed - Stock - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2019, 11:34 am Thread Starter

Garage
Wink Multistrada 1260 Top Speed - Stock

What's the measured top speed of a stock Multistrada 1260 w/ (15/40) ?
GPS is best as the speedometer is overstated by 5%.
P.S. 1200's also.
Post your photos or video link if you have'em.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak All purpose fun
2016 Monster 1200 R Rambunctious fun

Last edited by DarR; Apr 1st, 2019 at 8:29 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2019, 2:53 pm

249 km/h without Termignoni.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2019, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawidk1978 View Post
249 km/h without Termignoni.
GPS or speedo?

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak All purpose fun
2016 Monster 1200 R Rambunctious fun

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2019, 5:30 pm

I thought I had a problem!

I took my new-ish (8000 km) 2018 1260 ST in to the dealer because it won't redline in 5th or 6th gear. This just didn't seem right to me. I could get it up to about 8200 rpm in both 5th (about 235 km/hr) and 6th (about 250 km/hr) but no higher. I wondered if it was a speed limit thing or a fuel problem. On that ride I was going pretty hard in 2nd and 3rd for about 1 hour keeping revs between 7000 and 9000 on a great back road out to the west coast of Vancouver Island. My low fuel light came on just as I was heading home so I figured I used about twice as much fuel as on the several previous trips. I thought I had a significant fueling problem and the dealer installed an ECU update, calibrated the throttle and checked all electronic settings.

I took it out to test and got the same result although the fuel consumption seemed generally better. I took it back and the dealer dyno-ed it yesterday and apparently it went to redline in all gears.

Is this some kind of speed limiter issue or a constricted breathing/exhaust characteristic of a stock Multistrada. At redline in 5th I think it would do about 175 km/hr and in 6th probably close to 300 km/hr.

I typically don't ride this fast (don't want to lose my bike and go to jail) but I want to make sure my machine is running up to spec.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2019, 6:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexApostoli View Post
I took my new-ish (8000 km) 2018 1260 ST in to the dealer because it won't redline in 5th or 6th gear. This just didn't seem right to me. I could get it up to about 8200 rpm in both 5th (about 235 km/hr) and 6th (about 250 km/hr) but no higher. I wondered if it was a speed limit thing or a fuel problem. On that ride I was going pretty hard in 2nd and 3rd for about 1 hour keeping revs between 7000 and 9000 on a great back road out to the west coast of Vancouver Island. My low fuel light came on just as I was heading home so I figured I used about twice as much fuel as on the several previous trips. I thought I had a significant fueling problem and the dealer installed an ECU update, calibrated the throttle and checked all electronic settings.

I took it out to test and got the same result although the fuel consumption seemed generally better. I took it back and the dealer dyno-ed it yesterday and apparently it went to redline in all gears.

Is this some kind of speed limiter issue or a constricted breathing/exhaust characteristic of a stock Multistrada. At redline in 5th I think it would do about 175 km/hr and in 6th probably close to 300 km/hr.

I typically don't ride this fast (don't want to lose my bike and go to jail) but I want to make sure my machine is running up to spec.
The Multi has a big cross section and is an aerodynamically very dirty bike. I'm not surprised it can't rev out in 5th and 6th.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2019, 6:21 pm

Garage
I rode across Ontario last year and got three speeding tickets......so clearly too fast for Law Enforcement.

Clearly there are lots of factors...... with or without bags......windshield height......fuel type....tires....rider position.....etc

1965 250 Fuller-Custom Scrambler; 1998 916 SPS; 2002 MH900e; 2006 Paul Smart 1000 LE; 2011 Diavel Carbon; 2013 Multistrada GT; 2016 Scrambler UE
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2019, 7:40 pm

Garage
The mechanically limited top speed of an MTS 1260 is roughly 165MPH. That's using the primary, 6th gear ratio, and final drive ratio data provided off the Ducati website, with a standard 17" tire. So unless you either do gear work or raise the engine RPM, you aren't going much faster than that even if you added a 100HP shot of nitrous.

How close you can get to that theoretical maximum is a function of many things, as previously stated. The Multistrada is a big brick of a motorcycle, with a lot of air between the body and the ground. Not a good recipe for high speed.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2019, 11:30 pm

I thought I had a problem!

OK, thanks, all great points. I was tucked with windshield low but I am 6' & 210 lb., so yes, a big "dirty" cross sectional area. Thanks for the input to all of you. The fact that it does redline in all gears on the dyno has me satisfied that all is well. I am looking into a stealth installed NetRadar DSP + ALPriority laser radar detector/jamming system, hopefully that and some common sense will keep me out of trouble.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2019, 3:49 am

GPS
tzoykas, DarR and DarR like this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 8:20 am

265 with full Termignoni, speedo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode