Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/)
-   Multistrada (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/)
-   -   Chain Wear Question (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/720839-chain-wear-question.html)

Hardwrkr13 Mar 29th, 2019 3:58 pm

Chain Wear Question

I just purchased a 16 1200S last week from a dealer. It has 23,800km on it and looks to be the original chain/sprockets. Sprockets look great and chain is well within stretch limit per Ducati's bulletin but I can push the chain to the side to make contact with the tire or cat (chain is at correct tension and their is a rub mark on cat from chain already). Is this normal or should the dealer have replaced it before sale (I have to go back soon for a recall they didn't complete so I'd like to know if I should push for them to replace the chain/sprockets at their expense).

tzoykas Mar 29th, 2019 4:19 pm

Clearances are really small, both from the cat and the tire. It shouldn't happen by itself but you should be able to touch the tire and the cat if you push it by hand. Since it looks clean I wouldn't worry too much. But I'd definitely monitor it. Scuff marks may be due to chain chatter during shifts. Pics maybe?

P.S. Enjoy the bike ... it's a beast.

porkrind Mar 29th, 2019 4:57 pm

Contact with the tire doesn't bother me a ton if it's slight. My bike did that from new at the slightly looser than spec setting my dealer liked to use. Went away for me when I ditched the stock tires, they must have been slightly wider at the shoulder than any of my replacements.

Contact with the cat is a little more worrisome for me, as I've never experienced that even when I had contact with the tire. Got pictures? That kind of suggests to me that the chain was run way too loose for a while and it's possible that there's chain wear just from that metal to metal contact.

Hardwrkr13 Mar 29th, 2019 5:42 pm

Thanks guys. I'm not good at posting photos. I'll ask the dealer when I'm there and if they don't feel it needs replacing I may do it myself as I might try the 42T rear as it feels geared high.

RafaMG Mar 31st, 2019 2:50 pm

I changed my chain with about that much KM. The sprockets were still fine so i just went for new chain. Witch was way stretched out. I never have luck with Regina Chains so i bought a RK to replace it.

porkrind Mar 31st, 2019 5:07 pm

For the sake of expediency, I went down a tooth on my front sprocket shortly after I got my bike. Its a change I 100% endorse. If youre doing it the right way by adding teeth at the rear, Id got with stock up front and +3 at the rear. That's what Im doing as soon as I kill this chain.