2010 1200s Check Engine Light - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2019, 8:53 pm Thread Starter

2010 1200s Check Engine Light

I've been gearing up for my first long trip on my Multi. The weather has sucked here in Ohio, so I really haven't had a chance to get the bike out. Today, I wanted to test out a new windshield so I went for a quick 10 mile blast down the road. Bike ran great, no issues, but before I got back to the house, I noticed the yellow check engine light had come on. I've never noticed it before and it isn't throwing any noticeable codes.

What's weird is that the check engine light is really dim, almost like it doesn't want to be on. On startup, the check engine light flashes bright when going through the normal startup procedure, which I'm sure is normal. I did give the bike a bath over the weekend, so I'm wondering if some moisture didn't get pushed into a connection somewhere once I actually got it on the road.

Any other thoughts? I may haul it up to the most local dealer this weekend to run a diagnostic on it. I normally wouldn't worry too much about it, but it does have me a little anxious since I am about to leave for a longer trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2019, 9:32 am

Well, my engine light has come on twice: last year and on Saturday....and both were 'owner' induced. Last year I replaced the battery, simply because after 75,000 miles of 'starts', and getting ready for a 5,000 mile road trip, I wanted a fresh battery. After replacement, I took her a ride out 36 and the engine light came on. Hmmm....battery issue? YUP! The terminals were slightly loose, or slightly snug....take ur pick. Titened 'em up....no more light. Saturday, after bolting everything up from doing the 90,000 mile service, the light came on 100 yds from home. WTF? Now, I had started her after my service w/no issues, but.....after installing the forks, after a service/rebuild, I double checked the pre-load and hadn't totally seated the left fork electrical connection.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2019, 12:55 pm Thread Starter

Sounds like the moral of the story is that it could be anything. I will try and check out some connections tonight, but I haven't really messed with anything electrical, so I doubt that would be a cause. I'm still thinking humidity somewhere.

After washing the bike I did use the heated grips. Seems logical any moisture in there could cause a throttle position sensor to trip. Wish it was throwing some code so I could confirm. My questions is whether it will dry out or not if it is a moisture issue?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2019, 3:55 pm Thread Starter

Went for another quick ride today. As soon as the ABS light tripped off the engine light went off. Stayed off for the duration of the ride. Put the bike in neutral and the engine light came on again, but dim like before. Shifted into a gear and it went off. Seems anytime another indicator light is on on the dash the check engine light has a dim glow. Beats me.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2019, 2:46 am

Garage
It sounds like the common faulty dash led problem, they glow and light up, dimly, other warning lights in that cluster, they can be repaired i have used a company in the Netherlands to repair mine.
Tony
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2019, 2:50 am

Garage
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2019, 5:56 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the link.

Is this something that needs fixed? Doesn’t bother me terribly now that I know what it is doing. As long as it doesn’t lead to other issues, I’m inclined to leave well enough alone.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Garage
On mine, a real check engine light also comes with the error message.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0460.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	855.0 KB
ID:	939599  

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2019, 9:52 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3B43 View Post
Now, I had started her after my service w/no issues, but.....after installing the forks, after a service/rebuild, I double checked the pre-load and hadn't totally seated the left fork electrical connection.
Interesting, surprised it wasn't a DSS error? I did my forks way back in January and test rode the bike, all good. First ride out a week ago once the weather returned to normal and I'm suffering with an intermittent check engine light. Makes me wonder, its a real pain to get to that connector though...

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode