2016 DVT Battery Options - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By CRFan1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2019, 11:29 pm Thread Starter

Garage
2016 DVT Battery Options

I just went on the first Spring ride since November to the dealer to have the Key Fob recall taken care of. I was thinking as my bike will be 3 years old in July (purchased in September 16 assembled in July) whether to proactively change the battery so I don't get stuck - I have 7k miles on the bike and keep it on a Battery Tender all year including in the summer when I ride it every few days. I noticed there is the Shorai that is put forth here and several other options on Revzilla including Yuasa and Anti Gravity as well as several power levels for each brand.

The battery sucked on my 2009 MTS, and I always carried a charger kit.

I would appreciate any experiences or recommendations. Also - Do bad things happen like on my Benz's if you change the battery without having it powered (electronic resets, errors etc.)?

It was interesting that the service manager recommended against a battery tender.

I rode the new GS 1250 while waiting and while it is a sweet bike - I still prefer the MTS 1200. While it is getting closer it still does not provide the same thrill factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 8:31 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by therapyrider View Post
It was interesting that the service manager recommended against a battery tender.
I wonder why? My dealer not only recommends a tender, they install a CTEK charging pigtail on the bikes they sell and keep those chargers in stock.

I believe modern Duc's have a constant current draw with their electronics and eventually the battery will be drawn down to a potentially damaging level. That is particularly important for those that keep their bike in freezing weather. Maintaining the charge state is imperative for some level of freezing protection.

M. Brungard
Carmel, IN
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 10:13 am

Quote:
I just went on the first Spring ride since November to the dealer to have the Key Fob recall taken care of. I was thinking as my bike will be 3 years old in July (purchased in September 16 assembled in July) whether to proactively change the battery so I don't get stuck - I have 7k miles on the bike and keep it on a Battery Tender all year including in the summer when I ride it every few days. I noticed there is the Shorai that is put forth here and several other options on Revzilla including Yuasa and Anti Gravity as well as several power levels for each brand.

The battery sucked on my 2009 MTS, and I always carried a charger kit.

I would appreciate any experiences or recommendations. Also - Do bad things happen like on my Benz's if you change the battery without having it powered (electronic resets, errors etc.)?

I rode the new GS 1250 while waiting and while it is a sweet bike - I still prefer the MTS 1200. While it is getting closer it still does not provide the same thrill factor.
A few thoughts-

Did the service manager recommend against a Battery Tender 'battery' or the BT charger?

We have a direct fit battery for the Multi that has a full battery management system. This basically means that it is all but impossible to drain, since the BMS cuts off power when it gets below a safe level.
Our stuff also has what amounts to a built in jump start, so youll be able to jetison your charger. For the 1200, the 360 cranking amp version is the way to go: https://www.fullspectrumpower.com/co...-battery-p-12l

Ive written extensively about lithium here on MS, and in more detail on our website- so if you are interested in what goes into our products, here is a good place to start: https://www.fullspectrumpower.com/bl...ery-technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard View Post
I wonder why? My dealer not only recommends a tender, they install a CTEK charging pigtail on the bikes they sell and keep those chargers in stock.

I believe modern Duc's have a constant current draw with their electronics and eventually the battery will be drawn down to a potentially damaging level. That is particularly important for those that keep their bike in freezing weather. Maintaining the charge state is imperative for some level of freezing protection.
I wondered about that as well. Im guessing that the SM actually meant the Battery Tender brand, and not a 'tender' type charger, like the CTEK- which is a really nice charger. we use a CTEK on our shop truck and van.

All modern Ducati's do have varying amounts of parasitic draw, which can definitely damage a battery- unless you get a lithium battery with a battery management system (BMS) that prevents that from happening.

The Multi is a good candidate for that, as it uses a really nice Shindengen MOSFET regulator.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 1:25 pm

I have used battery tenders on everything I own for years and my bikes are always plugged in. NEVER had an issue. That service manager is an idiot.
Full_Spectrum likes this.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal Labotamy!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 7:22 pm

Donít buy shorai. They have a bunch of fire lawsuits against them. Cheap lithium batteries are never a good option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2019, 11:57 am Thread Starter

Garage
Battery Tender

The service manager recommended against a Battery Tender trickle charger and stated that his observation was that the batteries lasted longest when not on a trickle charger.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Garage
Quote:
The service manager recommended against a Battery Tender trickle charger and stated that his observation was that the batteries lasted longest when not on a trickle charger.
All I'll say is that a quality tender for winter storage is a must, especially in an un-heated garage. Notwithstanding, Ducatis have parasitic draw. A quality tender that manages both current and capacity will keep it topped-up.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak All purpose fun
2016 Monster 1200 R Rambunctious fun

Last edited by DarR; Mar 24th, 2019 at 1:32 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode