Weak battery or normal Multi starting sequence? - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2019, 6:59 am

Yup, from 2-valve supersport and hyper to 4-valve multi. That was pretty fast. It does seem to take longer as valve clearances get out of spec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2019, 7:30 am

Normal....my new 18 multi is always on a tender and it always seems like the starter turns the motor over kind of slow. Bike always starts though.....
SRdigital likes this.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal Labotamy!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2019, 8:26 am
Supermoderator - I┤m special!

Garage
The weak link in starting on the MTS has always been batterycables. Replace with thicker and the startups are faster and surer.

Yours actually sounded pretty fast for a Ducati.
I┤ve seen new biokes crank 2-3 seconds before lighting up.
SRdigital likes this.

2010 Multistrada 1200s - engine mapped by tomtom, Íhlins mechatronics SCU and alot of mods to make up for poor skills

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2019, 9:21 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amullo View Post
The weak link in starting on the MTS has always been batterycables. Replace with thicker and the startups are faster and surer.
Totally agree. Did both mods to my Multi and Diavel.
Lithium Battery also helped.

1965 250 Fuller-Custom Scrambler; 1998 916 SPS; 2002 MH900e; 2006 Paul Smart 1000 LE; 2011 Diavel Carbon; 2013 Multistrada GT; 2016 Scrambler UE
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2019, 12:00 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Thank for all the feedback. I had similar 'challenges' with the thin battery cables on my MV Brutale.

2016 Ducati Multistrada PP
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2019, 10:26 pm

I have a 2018 1260 S and it always cold or hot seems to struggle the first few revolutions. A friend and I rode in the Alps last year and both bikes did the same. The tour guides said all the Ducatis were like this.
SRdigital likes this.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRdigital View Post
Ok, still new to Ducati and trying to understand what is 'normal' and what could be a symptom for a weak battery. Bike is under batter tender when in garage, but it might have sat at the dealer in consignment for a few months. My only point of reference is BMW and GS which seemed to crank up faster.

I took the video of a cold start. Bike was on battery tender prior to starting and tested fine.

What do you guys think? Normal? (sorry for the shaky video)

https://youtu.be/ugfIJJOCCHk
Normal... I did buy the heavy cables (which were a bit of a pita to install) and the bike sounds EXACTLY the same cranking but it does start more reliably and faster so I think they make a bit of a difference even on DVT bikes (which have better cables than the earlier 1200's according to some).

Nice to hear a Multi cranking... mine has been sleeping since November - but soon - VERRRRY soon...
SRdigital likes this.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2019, 8:32 am

Garage
My dealer agreed to change the boxed unused Yuasa lead acid battery for an AntiGravity Lithium Ion with re-start technology prior to PDI and delivery of my new Ducati Multistrada. Just paid the difference in price. The re-start feature prevents the battery from draining beyond the low voltage threshold. Consequently, it will go into sleep mode while holding a charge to start the bike when awaken. On this note for extreme cold starting, lithium batteries need to wake-up with an active draw such as turning-on the headlights for 30s or so prior to pressing the start button.
The battery weighs only 3 lbs (vs 9 lbs for the OEM Yuasa) and this big boy has 480 CCA (vs OEM 210 CCA). Ok, 6 lbs savings is not that much but heck, it's located at the top of the bike. Besides, I already paid a king's ransom for the lighter Pikes Peak edition. I'll give it a boo and report later, especially on the cold start.

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co.../at12bs-hd-rs/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	at12-bs-hd-rs-lithium-motorsports-battery.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	939311  

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak All purpose fun
2016 Monster 1200 R Rambunctious fun
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 4:21 pm

chad-ANTIGRAVITYLITHIUMBATTERIES's Avatar

Hi guys, I do realize this thread is a couple months old but we just recently came on as site sponsors and wanted to make sure and let those of you know who might still be looking at lithium as an option about our post in our vendor section. Please also feel free to reach out to us with any questions you might have on lithium options.
-Chad

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/641-ant...ht=antigravity

SPECIALIZING IN LIGHTWEIGHT, HI-POWER LITHIUM-ION MOTORSPORT BATTERIES
The most Advanced Lithium Ion Starter Batteries Available..
Antigravity Lithium-Ion Batteries // 310-527-2330 // shop.antigravitybatteries.com
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 4:40 pm

Garage
@chad-ANTIGRAVITYLITHIUMBATTERIES

Good to have you here. I purchased two of your LI batteries. One on my previous Panigale which I traded last fall just following installation. Really didn't have a chance to test it.
However, I just picked-up a new Multistrada where my dealer agreed to upgrade the stock Yuasa for a 480CA Antigravirty. No issues so far but I only have been riding the bike for a couple of weeks. Notwithstanding, I don't expect any issues. When will the remote for the re-start feature be available?

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak All purpose fun
2016 Monster 1200 R Rambunctious fun

Last edited by DarR; May 22nd, 2019 at 7:15 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode