Front Forks Frozen - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2019, 11:04 pm Thread Starter

Front Forks Frozen

I am mostly finished rebuilding the second '14 MTS that I purchased that I purchased totalled. Took it for a little ride today and realized that the forks are not functioning. I have been looking in both the shop manual and here for any input on why there would be no travel at all to no avail. Does anyone have any input on this? I tried all 4 of the riding modes. The rear seems to be functioning correctly. No engine light is on. Are there any Skyhook suspension gurus out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2019, 1:54 am

Garage
I am by no means a SkyHook (or even other) suspension expert, however I recently did a fork seal and oil change on mine, there really isn't much to see inside the top of them even when separated to replace the seal; they are much like other USD forks and the springs would seem to do most of the work.

The electronics are only in the left leg and handle compression/rebound damping only and it was not clear to me exactly how that might work. The right leg is just a normal fork and has the preload on the fork cap. Aside from checking that they aren't bent, I think I'd start with preload and check whether it has been set to maximum (fully turned in) and is thus reducing fork movement. Beyond that, I'd pull the legs one by one, starting with the right one, and see if you can compress them when they are off the bike. If not, then I'd probably at least pull the fork cap, drain the oil and take a look.

Unfortunately, pulling the legs is a bit of journey, see the fork seal thread for the steps I went through.

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2019, 7:04 am

Garage
When the bike is off, the fork is very stiff. Only when the bike is on does it work. I'd check the wiring first, hopefully it is something easy.

t_bare

1 Ducati = Ducatista
2 Ducatis = Mechanic

2013 Multistrada GT Touring Grey
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s
2002 Ducati 998 Faster Banana!!!
2000 KTM 300 EXC

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 6:23 am

Garage
These forks are easily damaged. I had a friend in a mild crash and his forks were stiffened also. They had to be replaced.... So I think your forks are damaged by the accident.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Multistrada 1260S DVT 2018 Touring pack, the Netherlands
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 9:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschemkes View Post
These forks are easily damaged. I had a friend in a mild crash and his forks were stiffened also. They had to be replaced.... So I think your forks are damaged by the accident.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
I covered this in another thread...the right tube was indeed damaged and according to several who have looked at it cannot be straightened, so I am on the lookout for another one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode