Pirelli Scorpion Trail II vs Rosso III vs Angel GT - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2018, 11:28 am Thread Starter

Garage
Question Pirelli Scorpion Trail II vs Rosso III vs Angel GT

Just joined the Multistrada family as I purchased a 1260 Pikes Peak this week.
Would you suggest replacing the OEM Scorpion Trail II on the Multistrada with Rosso III or Angel GT's?
I don't do dirt roads and if I did, it would only be because I'm forced to by road construction or a detour of some sort.
I have experience with Rosso III's, Rosso Corsa's and Supercorsa's but none with Scorpion Trail II or Angel GT's.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak All purpose fun
2016 Monster 1200 R Rambunctious fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2018, 11:44 am
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+

Garage
It seems to me you now have experience with all the tires you mentioned except the Angles. Are you wondering where they fall in that good chain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike
2006 999, 2007 S2R1000, Ninja 400RR
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2018, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMan View Post
It seems to me you now have experience with all the tires you mentioned except the Angles. Are you wondering where they fall in that good chain?
Somewhat I suppose. I don't have experience with Pirelli Scorpion Trail II either. For a pure sportbike like the Panigale, I would never go back to Rosso Corsa's after having mounted Supercorsa's as the later provides more grip and confidence while lasting just as long. They just don't warm up as fast and must be kept at operation temperature to work right. However, the Monster 1200R came mounted with OEM Supercorsa's and I chewed right through the rear center in no time. Thus, those were replaced with Rosso III's with good results although I felt a few mild wobbles when pushed which never happened with the SC's. Now, I'm trading the Pani where the Multi will be taking over the Monster's previous role. I don't intend touring very far thus wet weather traction is not a concern but cold weather grip is.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Garage
Is there something about the Scorpions, that you are riding now, that you donít like? If you havenít ridden them enough to have an opinion I would suggest riding them until you do and base your choice for a next tire on what you learn from that.

I will say the Rosso III is my current favorite tire for all around sport touring and I would choose it over the Angle for my needs.

Mike
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2018, 12:47 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMan View Post
Is there something about the Scorpions, that you are riding now, that you don’t like? If you haven’t ridden them enough to have an opinion I would suggest riding them until you do and base your choice for a next tire on what you learn from that.

I will say the Rosso III is my current favorite tire for all around sport touring and I would choose it over the Angle for my needs.
I have not taken delivery of the Multistrada yet therefore I have no experience on those dual purpose tires. Since the bike is still at the dealer, I have the option to either 1) keep the OEM's or 2) swap them now at a reasonable cost. I really like the Rosso III's as well. What I don't get is why Ducati chose the Scorpion Trail II's as OEM's on the MultiStrada Pikes Peak, when they chose the Rosso III's as OEM for the Hypermotard?

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Garage
Pirelli Scorpion Trail II vs Rosso III vs Angel GT

We have a friend here that might chime in. T-bills.

He just got a new PP with the Scorpions and I rode with him some back in September. On the Cherohala Skyway the Scorpions were not holding him back much. He did mention they got a little slippy at the limit. But honestly he was holding his knees up so they wouldnít scrape (no sliders) and the tires were new.

And youíre right why they put those tires on that bike Is a little strange.

t-bills and DarR like this.

Mike

Last edited by DuckMan; Nov 25th, 2018 at 3:11 pm.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2018, 10:15 pm

I run the Rosso III on my light weight MV (170kgs) but on the Multi and 1290 i run the PR5s, the Rosso's wouldn't last any touring rides i do, even my 800MV eats them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	643.5 KB
ID:	932757  

multistrada 1200.. 2010... Black with full system...2016 KTM 1290 GT. Remus can and link pipe. 2018 KTM 790 fun machine.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2018, 10:47 pm
Sophomore Member

First, let me say you have incredible taste in motorcycles.

If you can get the dealership to swap out the tires and not just lose the expense of a set of tires, go for it. I really don't understand why Ducati put these tires on the PP. If swapping tires is you just tossing the stock tires and the cost of a new set of tires, give them a chance first. I've hustled them pretty well and not run into any real problems. My complaints are that they don't handle rain as well as the Michelin Pilot Road series and that they don't warm up quickly in the cold. Their grip is appropriate for riding a brisk, but reasonable pace on the street. They feel pretty well planted at heavy lean.

As for a replacement, I'd recommend the Pirelli Angel GT or the Michelin Road 5. I've been a big Michelin fan for years and never been overly fond of Pirellis. The new Angel GTs have my blessing. The Road 5 is also a wonderful tire. It handles wet weather unbelievably well. I'm recommending these tires assuming you are going to be doing similar riding as me which is touring and playing in the mountains. Needing some miles out of a tire and capable of handling some wet weather while also being great in the mountains. If you aren't putting many miles on the bike, hell, get something sportier like the Pilot Power 3 or or Rosso III.

Thomas Williams
2018 Multistrada PP, 2012 Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP, 1995 900SS/SP
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2018, 12:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
Just joined the Multistrada family as I purchased a 1260 Pikes Peak this week.
Would you suggest replacing the OEM Scorpion Trail II on the Multistrada with Rosso III or Angel GT's?
I don't do dirt roads and if I did, it would only be because I'm forced to by road construction or a detour of some sort.
I have experience with Rosso III's, Rosso Corsa's and Supercorsa's but none with Scorpion Trail II or Angel GT's.
Angel GTs are ok, I've been through 4 sets on veering bikes, but i find the PR5s a step up, far better in the wet, and i find the very edge grip and feel on the PR5 better, i wouldn't have recommended the PR4, as they were vague near the edge and limit. Rosso III are great, great grip once warmed up, but id struggle to get 3000km out of them, but will get at least 6000kms out of the PR5s with the same effort in riding.

multistrada 1200.. 2010... Black with full system...2016 KTM 1290 GT. Remus can and link pipe. 2018 KTM 790 fun machine.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2018, 6:41 am Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys for your input.
Parts manager at the Dealer is looking into a swap pricing.
I'll see what my dealer can do and take it from there. If not, I'll wear-out the scorpions and replace them accordingly.

PS. @t-bills
Any regrets sacrificing the Skyhook?

Last edited by DarR; Nov 26th, 2018 at 5:52 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode