Multistrada Special build thread - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2018, 5:10 am Thread Starter

Multistrada Special build thread

Last winter I built a Multistrada special out of an accident damaged 1000DS. I finished it in April and I have ridden the bike all summer… I LOVE it! Been finding excuses to just go for a ride on it!

However, there are aspects of the bike I really don’t like… first, the plastic tank… with the advent of ethanol in fuel, I can only see problems in the future… and also the electronics, already the LCD screen has failed, and some of the warning lights, which is a pain as they are a fortune.

I have been planning to build a bike that would be a “keeper” for years, and this may be it… So I have decided to rebuild it again over this winter… this time with a steel tank, a simple Electronic ignition, (Ignitech) and Carbs, yes, I know I am a dinosaur!

If people are interested I will update this thread as I progress with the build, but for now here are a few pictures of last year’s build, and a couple of progress so far…,

Here’s how it started out….

Here it is finished….

Couple from the engine rebuild…

[

Here it is now… I have cut the back end of the frame and will be making a seat unit. I have also mounted the ST4 tank, and am in the process of making a blanking plate for the big hole where the fuel pump used to sit!

Here are the carbs mounted on the home made manifolds, which need finishing. Carbs are slightly offset to allow use of a throttle position sensor to fit on the end of the spindle. Took hours to make the manifolds from scratch!
Not sure yet if I will make an airbox, or use POD filters…

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2018, 6:33 pm

So the 2nd photo is the finished bike? Or is still in progress? Either way, looks awesome. Can you post more photos of the finished one?
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2018, 3:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danonano View Post
So the 2nd photo is the finished bike? Or is still in progress? Either way, looks awesome. Can you post more photos of the finished one?
the second bike was finished, but I have taken it apart again as its not what I want going forward. there are more pictures on my blog...

https://jtccc.wordpress.com/our-moto...i-multistrada/

next step is to make a seat unit from scratch
wmfleet2 likes this.

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2018, 9:07 am

Garage
What don't you like?... I think the front looks fantastic. The only thing I might change is the chunky tail... but maybe that's not easy to do with the tank going to the back.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2018, 6:23 am Thread Starter

A bit more progress... I have decided to go for pod filters, took the easy option! I have finished the the tank blanking plate, save for putting in a couple of outlets. one will go to a vacuum tap, the other will have an ON/OFF tap. that way I can use the tap as a reserve if the inlet for the vacuum tap is a lot higher. I can do this bu unseeing a filter in the tank. I have started the work on modifying the frame to have a removable rear subframe, this is tacked into place and can be fully welded when its easier to turn the frame. next job is the seat, so the subframe arms are movable at the moment. trying to decided on a side of under seat exhaust at the moment, which will influence the seat.

Also managed to find an alloy front mudguard in a style I like... made out of 3mm alloy, its a work of art, makes me want a wheeling machine!

Lanesmatb likes this.
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2018, 9:49 am

Great work! I wish I had a fraction of the skills required to get do something like that.

2012 Arctic White Multistrada 1200S Touring Model
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2018, 11:09 am

Garage
Those long intake manifolds should work well with the 1000's low end power. I would think they will drop power above 7500-8000 but the long stroke motor is more of a 4000-7500 motor anyway. You should ditch the CV carbs for some mechanical slides though. I will not be surprised if it makes more midrange power than the short manifold injected bike did.

Keep up the good work!
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2018, 7:41 am Thread Starter

One of the reasons I got the tank cheap on Ebay was it had been welded on a seam in the past… it was a poor repair using MIG and had leaked, so I blended it in with the TIG welder. It looked OK, and I was not going to bother dye pen testing it as its a 20 mile trip to my mate with the kit… so glad i did! there is a pin hole which immediately showed up as soon as the developer was sprayed on!

post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2018, 1:20 pm Thread Starter

I have finished tacking up the rear now and finally pleased with the result. Decided on rose joints rather than the home made ones... the frame hoop was quite difficult as I couldn't find any dies the right size for the pipe bender. In the end I resorted to the old method and welded a cap on one end of the pipe and a nut on the other. I then filled it full of sand and compacted it with the bolt. it then bent a treat with no kinks!

next step is to make the seat from scratch

post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2018, 7:25 pm

I look at that vertical back side of the tank and it gives me concern. I’m reminded of a Hodaka Combat Wombat and a particularly bad incident with my man berries. Of course, that involved an ill fated MX jump. My suggestion is to keep at least one wheel on the ground. ��

2010 Multistrada 1200s

Last edited by Earthshake; Oct 12th, 2018 at 6:30 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode