Multistrada Special build thread - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2018, 3:25 am Thread Starter

Thanks! I would have liked a rounded tank... in fact i tried an early Monster tank on there but due to the frame angle, and tall engine it didnt anywhere near fit, hence the ST4 tank. I have recently bought an AC TIG welder so can now weld alloy at home, so in the near future i will be having a go at making a tank for it out of Aluminimum, but i need to make a wheeling machine first!

The handlebars... they are wide... one of the reasons I like the bike so much is that I love the rideing position, and the handling. In the design brief for this build i made the decision to keep the ride height, foot peg position and handlebars the same. So while i will modify the footrests, they will be in the same position. A couple of years ago i made the mistake of building a bike that was so uncomfortable for me to ride, form over function! That got sold pretty quickly! Picture below.

Which brings me onto the seat... I must have made 5 or 6! They are easy to make to get the basic shape out of insulation foam, so i made various ones... thin.... wide... angled... futuristic... in fact my wife asked me if I was OK as she noticed me sitting in the garage staring at the bike for long periods

In the end i opted for what you see. I knew it would polarise opinion! Usually i sell my projects on, much of the pleasure for me is in the build... but this one is a keeper, hence the brief for simple, light, carbs, minimal electronics, ( i almost wavered the other day on this... past builds have used cheap and effective keyless electronic ignition swithches, but I opted for a simple key switch!)

The seat will be finished soon... i will post a picture later.

DaveK likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2018, 7:36 am

That bike is gorgeous! Nice work!!!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal Labotamy!
post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2018, 9:43 am

I've got an '07 1100S as a project bike. The main feature will be the Panigale fairing I'm installing....it'll be a 3/4 fairing so that the horizontal cylinder is visible. I was going to have a custom exhaust built, which would look like Ducati's WSBK exhaust, but couldn't find anyone that was willing to do the fabrication. She'll have a full Arrow header/mid-pipe, but I haven't decided on the cans. At the moment, I'm shortening the stock cans off a 1098 and will get those mounted.....as a start. There are some big cosmetic issues to overcome, e.g. Panigale fairing side panels mating the MTS tank, but I've decided to get it running/rideable then tinker w/cosmetics. Id luv to get OZ wheels, but haven't decided to spend the $$$$$ yet.

Pics? I have NO clue how to post a pic, so......

post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2018, 4:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3B43 View Post
I've got an '07 1100S as a project bike. The main feature will be the Panigale fairing I'm installing....it'll be a 3/4 fairing so that the horizontal cylinder is visible. I was going to have a custom exhaust built, which would look like Ducati's WSBK exhaust, but couldn't find anyone that was willing to do the fabrication. She'll have a full Arrow header/mid-pipe, but I haven't decided on the cans. At the moment, I'm shortening the stock cans off a 1098 and will get those mounted.....as a start. There are some big cosmetic issues to overcome, e.g. Panigale fairing side panels mating the MTS tank, but I've decided to get it running/rideable then tinker w/cosmetics. Id luv to get OZ wheels, but haven't decided to spend the $$$$$ yet.

Pics? I have NO clue how to post a pic, so......
here are a couple of photos you sent me, looks amazing!

wmfleet2 and ozzie_ostrich like this.
post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2018, 8:33 am Thread Starter

some more pictures... the seat came back from the trimmers, I was very pleased with the results, and its comfortable for me which is the important bit. not as comfortable perhaps as the original though!

I am getting to the stage where it all needs to be stripped down, and the frame, tank and seat painting. just a few more jobs to do...

I am very undecided what colour to do the frame and the tank and seat... suggestions welcome!

post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2018, 11:43 am Thread Starter

playing around in Photoshop.... my skills are limited here! best I can do but it gives an idea...

post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2018, 3:42 am
Supermoderator - I´m special!

Garage
Yellow and black always works..
Orange and blue
Red and White

Maybe two-tone the tank to make it look smaller somehow? The upper primary color and the lower part grey to match engine maybe?
Google Aprilia 6.5

And it also depends if your thinking oldschool or modern.
Oldschool is easier to sell I reckon.

2010 Multistrada 1200s - engine mapped by tomtom, Öhlins mechatronics SCU and alot of mods to make up for poor skills

Last edited by amullo; Nov 13th, 2018 at 3:56 am.
post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2018, 8:32 pm

I'd love to see in british racing green and gold ala John Player Special Lotus F1. I like gulf colors as well, but I don't think it works on this one.
post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2018, 2:48 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevedkitten View Post
I'd love to see in british racing green and gold ala John Player Special Lotus F1. I like gulf colors as well, but I don't think it works on this one.
or black and gold JPS colors from Ronnie Peterson and Emerson Fittipaldi years.

2004 S4R 996 - Ohlins rear shock & 1098S Ohlins forks with Brembo M50 calipers in Corse Dynamics 53/56mm triple.
post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2018, 11:02 am Thread Starter

a little bit more progress... I am almost to the stage where I can take it all apart and have the frame powder coated. I have decided its going to be silver on the frame, the tank and seat colour can wait a while to decide.

I have finished off the fuel tank plate. there are two outlets, going to the fuel tap, so I can have a reserve position, hence the varying heights of the outlets.

that was an expensive piece of tube... £4.90! Sold to me

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode