DIY maintenance - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2018, 10:28 am

DIY maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkrind View Post
It's strange. The service manual doesn't call for the use of the tool. It specifically has you...

1. fit the axle
  2. thread on the main nut
  3. tighten the right side pinch bolts
  4. tighten the axle nut
  5. loosen the right side pinch bolts
  6. bounce the suspension
  7. tighten the pinch bolts.

My Multi service manual says to torque the axle first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redbrit likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2018, 12:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1000a1 View Post
I think it may be considered as a violation of consumer rights. Essentially, Ducati forces you to service a bike at their dealerships only, which is against the law. How any other (independent) shop can work on a bike without having at least torque values and such? I wonder, if there is something that could be done about it?
+1
I think unless someone wants to take Ducati to court in a class action suit, it will always be that way.

New Ducati owner and MotoGP Fanatic
2016 Classic Ducati Red Multistrada 1200S Touring
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2018, 6:47 pm

Quote:
I think, 1260 DIY owners are badly screwed up by Ducati. I asked the owner of Aprilia dealership (my good friend) if he could get me (not for free, I'm willing to pay for it!) Workshop Manual for 1260. He called several Ducati dealerships (he knows the owners) and was told that it's not possible. Ducati made workshop manuals accessible online only. Dealers can't save or print the manuals anymore. Also, Ducati refuses to sell the manuals to anyone.
https://amsducati.com/ducati-service-manual-collection

Just wait they update this with 2019 models

Macs are like Harleys... For wannabe different people, who get all the same sh!t

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2018, 8:17 pm

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...EsxVEJTa24zeE0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2019, 10:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
OK, how about one for the 1260?

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 7:13 am
Just visiting your planet.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motozen View Post
Geez. This question is getting as popular as oil and tires. I think the handful of you guys asking about the 1260 manual should get together and buy it. Then you can share it for everyone else.

2005 ST3
2003 749s
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 10:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motozen View Post
Geez. This question is getting as popular as oil and tires. I think the handful of you guys asking about the 1260 manual should get together and buy it. Then you can share it for everyone else.
Lack of initiative for most of them

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"](2007 S4Rs, 2004 MV Brutale, 2006 999R, 2007 1098S Tricolore, 2010 1198S Corse, 2010 SFS) SOLD, 2012 Multi PP (SOLD), 2006 999S, 2016 Multi PP
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 10:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRossa View Post
Lack of initiative for most of them
I floated the idea on another 1260 thread, but so far no PM's taking me up on it.

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 10:48 am

Quote:
I think, 1260 DIY owners are badly screwed up by Ducati. I asked the owner of Aprilia dealership (my good friend) if he could get me (not for free, I'm willing to pay for it!) Workshop Manual for 1260. He called several Ducati dealerships (he knows the owners) and was told that it's not possible. Ducati made workshop manuals accessible online only. Dealers can't save or print the manuals anymore. Also, Ducati refuses to sell the manuals to anyone.
I'm not surprised, but that really sucks. For me, half the point of owning a motorcycle is tinkering on it. It seems more and more manufacturers are pulling this stunt so DIYers can't DIY.

It used to be, I just assumed a shop manual would be available at some point. Now I'll have to make a mental to note to check that first before looking at another motorcycle.

Another win for our dumbass, do-nothing modern world. Great!

2012 Arctic White Multistrada 1200S Touring Model
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 11:21 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
I'm not surprised, but that really sucks. For me, half the point of owning a motorcycle is tinkering on it. It seems more and more manufacturers are pulling this stunt so DIYers can't DIY.

It used to be, I just assumed a shop manual would be available at some point. Now I'll have to make a mental to note to check that first before looking at another motorcycle.

Another win for our dumbass, do-nothing modern world. Great!

I generally agree, but less so with your last sentence: we know that the motorcycle industry is struggling and I tend to see this as an attempt to get you back to the dealer regularly where your maintenance contribution -- here it's around $150/hr -- helps sustain the dealer and provides an opportunity for the sales person to talk you into a trade-in deal on a new bike. You also keep the price of a new bike down because you make additional payments as part of servicing.

It's a strategy, definitely; whether it's the right one is, I think, questionable.

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in