DIY maintenance - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2018, 2:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotlings8 View Post
Thanks guys for all the information. I just hate to have to take the bike to the shop for every little thing. I am hopefully only going to be there for the 18000 mile service.
Thats my plan as well! Redbrit why do you need a tool to locate the wheel while you replace the front axle? I just lift the wheel and get it close and put the axle in....? Am I missing something?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal Labotamy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2018, 5:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbrit View Post
You'll need the 8-flute oil filter wrench; dealer had one for about $8. The rear nut sockets I've seen flip over for the size of the front end nut. I also loosely understand that you'll need a tool to help locate the front wheel while you re-place the front axle.
I've never had a problem with using my ancient strap wrench to remove the filter. And as for those combo nuts, check the measurements. Some that I've seen have an older spec size for the front axle that's too small. Front is 32mm.

I've had the front wheel off a couple of times and didn't require any special tool to line up the axle. I guess it might be nice if the bike is way up in the air, but I've just had the bike on the centerstand and inch or two boost I need to get the wheel in position hasn't been difficult to manage just sitting in front of the bike.
Redbrit, suruppak and CRFan1 like this.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2018, 6:53 pm
Sophomore Member

For your 18,000 services:
https://emsduc.com/product/lt-snyder...i-4th-edition/
https://emsduc.com/product/later-4v-7mm-shim-kit/

Thomas Williams
2018 Multistrada PP, 2012 Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP, 1995 900SS/SP

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2018, 8:00 pm

OP asked for 1260. The manual in the link does not cover this bike. I believe, it even does not have any info regarding DVT, which, in terms of valve adjustment, timing, required tools, is totally different from previous models.
I think, 1260 DIY owners are badly screwed up by Ducati. I asked the owner of Aprilia dealership (my good friend) if he could get me (not for free, I'm willing to pay for it!) Workshop Manual for 1260. He called several Ducati dealerships (he knows the owners) and was told that it's not possible. Ducati made workshop manuals accessible online only. Dealers can't save or print the manuals anymore. Also, Ducati refuses to sell the manuals to anyone. I think it may be considered as a violation of consumer rights. Essentially, Ducati forces you to service a bike at their dealerships only, which is against the law. How any other (independent) shop can work on a bike without having at least torque values and such? I wonder, if there is something that could be done about it?
I know that if you see something on a screen there is always a way to save/print it (screenshot, etc.). Is there someone on the forum who was access to Ducati computer and willing to get the manual for us? And you shouldn't feel bad about it, because what Ducati does is wrong! Even BMW sells workshop manuals on DVD. Yes, it's expensive, but still you can get it if you really need one.
Motozen and suruppak like this.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2018, 10:06 pm
Sophomore Member

It doesn't specifically say 1260 or dvt, but doing the valves and belts is the same. The DVT doesn't change valve lash, only when the valves open and close relative to the crank. This type of work isn't for everyone, but it is for some. I plan to do it myself on the 1260 I'm buying.

Thomas Williams
2018 Multistrada PP, 2012 Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP, 1995 900SS/SP
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2018, 11:29 pm

Have you researched belts changing on DVT? If yes, I can't understand how you don't realize that it's very different! You can't just mark belt position and remove the belt as on pre-DVT models. Camshaft gear can freely rotate on camshaft on DVT. You must remove a head cover and lock camshafts (not the gears!). Otherwise, you'll loose the timing!
I always do all work on my bikes myself, including valves job on pretty complex V4 engines. The only time a dealer sees my bike is when it's a warranty issue or the bike needs to be connected to a computer for a software updates. I'd really like to keep this the same with Ducati. But I need a f***ing service manual!!! I don't want to guess what are the correct torques on engine bolts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bills View Post
It doesn't specifically say 1260 or dvt, but doing the valves and belts is the same. The DVT doesn't change valve lash, only when the valves open and close relative to the crank. This type of work isn't for everyone, but it is for some. I plan to do it myself on the 1260 I'm buying.
Motozen likes this.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2018, 11:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Thats my plan as well! Redbrit why do you need a tool to locate the wheel while you replace the front axle? I just lift the wheel and get it close and put the axle in....? Am I missing something?

Itís because you are supposed to torque the axle nut, then load the suspension with the bike on the ground to settle the wheel/axle. After that you torque the pinch bolts.

If you donít have the tool (Or make one yourself. Some people use a padlock.) you canít torque the axle nut unless you tighten the pinch bolts first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redbrit likes this.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2018, 8:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Itís because you are supposed to torque the axle nut, then load the suspension with the bike on the ground to settle the wheel/axle. After that you torque the pinch bolts.

If you donít have the tool (Or make one yourself. Some people use a padlock.) you canít torque the axle nut unless you tighten the pinch bolts first.

Hmmmm....been riding for 30 years and I just snug the pinch bolt enough to torque the axle nut, loosen the pinch bolt, bounce the front end a couple times and torque the pinch bolt. No need for special tools and never had a single issue of any kind.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal Labotamy!
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2018, 9:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Hmmmm....been riding for 30 years and I just snug the pinch bolt enough to torque the axle nut, loosen the pinch bolt, bounce the front end a couple times and torque the pinch bolt. No need for special tools and never had a single issue of any kind.

Dude, your front wheel is going to fall off! Must. Have. Special. Tool.

CRFan1 likes this.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2018, 10:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Dude, your front wheel is going to fall off! Must. Have. Special. Tool.

It's strange. The service manual doesn't call for the use of the tool. It specifically has you...

1. fit the axle
  2. thread on the main nut
  3. tighten the right side pinch bolts
  4. tighten the axle nut
  5. loosen the right side pinch bolts
  6. bounce the suspension
  7. tighten the pinch bolts.
Face It, Wolverine1 and CRFan1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode