2017 Speed Wobble, constructive help appreciated. - Page 6 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Paragraph breaks make things readable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2019, 5:51 pm

Thank you for your constructive input to my query. Since you have nothing to actually contribute other than your editing input, how about you just keep your snarky comments to yourself.
That would be great.
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2019, 12:42 am

Mine was handling like yours. I adjusted the front preload, which stopped the diving but it was still too harsh. I took it in for the suspension to be set up and after much hopping on and off the bike and measuring, they adjusted everything to get it right for my weight. They did all the settings from the front preload and adjusted all the electronic settings for the rear.
Cost me £50 and was well worth it.

Siddo

post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2019, 2:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unitm3 View Post
So, I have some questions pertaining to this. I have a 2016 S model that I recently purchased. I have been fiddling with the suspension in an attempt to stiffen it up but also keep it compliant. Given the option I think with my background I should have gone with a PP as I have extensive years with sportbikes and track time. But that being said I do love this bike. Currently in Sport mode it feels decent but for casual riding its a handful. Very difficult to keep things smooth as I feel like every bump jars me so much that I jack the throttle! I typically keep it in touring mode with some tweaks for daily rides and use sport only for sunday rips on the back roads. I have only experienced the wobble once with this bike sans bags and I was following two other guys. It was not terrible but got my attention. In May I was in California riding a 2019 S model with bags. When behind a buddy on an enduro pro his bags and the subsequent hole it punched in the air gave me crazy turbulence and caused major wobble. The suspension on that bike was never really touched by me other than using the factory parameters so I assumed on the bike I bought that I would be able to correct some things. However, I keep reading about the manual preload adjustment on the forums and there is nothing in the owners manual that I can find. I also would like to set up the sag properly but again, info on this seems few and far between. I know that front preload can be manually adjusted on the rt leg and I plan on addressing this as I feel that being 210lbs it's got way too much dive for my tastes. Is it possible to also turn up the rear manually? I do not see provisions for achieving this. And how have some of you set up the sag properly on the skyhook versions? Also on the front the arrows are lined up on top of the leg. I am assuming that is the factory setting but what is that setting exactly? I have not fiddled with it yet but is the correct procedure to turn to full hard which presume to be clockwise and then each subsequent turn past the arrows is one turn? Forgive my ignorance but this is my first foray into the world of sorcery which is electronic suspension.
I don't know why you think a PP would be better for you. I've got 15yrs superbike and track experience and find the Skyhook suspension on my 16 1200S capable of everything I need it to do (and it does it very well when setup properly).
Setting sag on a Active/Semi suspension bike is the same as non-e suspension. Arrows on the fork preload adjuster don't mean anything. Make your rider sag 56mm front/rear (1/3rd of total travel).
To adjust rear preload just go into the suspension settings on the screen and add to compression. Easy-peasy.
I'm 210lbs before adding riding gear. I run 95% in Touring mode as it's all-day plush yet I can drag knee as it stiffens up just right when trailbraking into a corner (adding front preload properly will get rid of excessive dive at speed, it'll still dive a bunch at stopsigns but that's a long travel tradeoff). Sport mode only needed for the most technical roads.

2016 Multistrada 1200S Touring
2018 KTM 300XC
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2019, 9:16 am

The reason I said PP was because of the manual suspension adjustment. I have no doubt the skyhook will work and work well, it was just more of a confusion as to adjustment. I’ll take your advice and set up the sag accordingly. I agree as to the fork dive. It’s going to happen to some degree due to the inherent travel. It’s been awhile since I was on a long travel machine. I have no doubt that once set up properly this machine will be amazing. I’m already very pleased with it. Thanks for the replies!
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2019, 9:57 am
Prolific Poster Award

Lots of motorcycles get unstable at high speed with luggage and/or passenger. Some brands are better than others. Setting up suspension properly, installing a steering damper, changing tires, can all help, but you may never get rid of it. There is just going to be a point of maximum stability that you reach and throwing money at it may be a lost cause. Just because some other brand is more stable doesnít mean yours will ever be itís equivalent . Every design has its limits.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2019, 11:11 am

Garage
Couple of things to bear in mind as you dive in to suspension settings on the Skyhook bikes:

Unless the bike is powered on, you cannot set sag correctly. Just a function of how the system works. Without power, the valves in the fork and shock close more or less completely after a couple compressions, from that point the suspension is basically immobile.

I don't think anyone has conclusively proven that the front preload on these bikes does anything. Feel free to test it yourself; I did, and while I don't have access to a spring dynamometer, my manual testing showed zero increase in effective total travel (measured w/ zip-tie), sag, or perceived stiffness regardless of preload setting. Hard to know what that means, the suspension on these bikes uses progressive rate springs, so drawing any useful conclusions about performance without expensive testing equipment is difficult at best. Looking at the preload mechanism itself, I'm not even convinced it's physically doing anything other than turning in place; it doesn't appear to displace along the vertical axis of the fork. How, then, does it work? Magnets, I guess.
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoteric View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMan View Post
That “problem” is if you want a sport touring bike that handles like a sport bike naked, it’s not going to have great high speed stability when loaded for touring.

My ST3S and my KTM 990 SMT both fall into this category. It’s really not a big deal. The manufactures always warn about it happening in the owners manual.

The only time it bothers me is when getting into the turbulence of 18 wheelers on the highway when passing them at 90+ mph. I just get light on the bars and ride through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I agree. Problem is we ride very fast a good portion of the time. 90mph is our average on trips, with lots of bursts above that. I still would like to know how the damn GS1200 is so stable, must be the telelever front. I have now lost on a top speed race on an S1000XR and the Multi, both due to speed wobble. Kinda sucks because they're always touting their GS's are the best. Maybe so. I can't get around looks of them(yet). But they are starting to make me a believer lol. I just want this Multi to be as fast as its designed, everything else I love about it.

Yeah switch to a GS and deal with fork failure! Definitely not for me but to each there own. I’ll deal with a bit of wobble as it usually comes down to tires and or suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode