2017 Speed Wobble, constructive help appreciated. - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2018, 6:31 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Acton, MA, USA
Posts: 195
Images: 3
I had a similar wobble on my 2011 Multi and thought nothing of it, until I narrowed it down to the tires. In addition, I test drove a Motus for a second time, before I bought my 2018 Mts and it had those same tires and major wobble. It wasn’t the bike as I test drove another one with the Pirellis and it was fine.

2018 Multistrada Red - The Cardinal
2011 Multistrada Black - SOLD[/SIGPIC]
CSIMON is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2018, 7:36 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 291
Ducati knows there is a stability problem with the DVT Multi. That is why they added 2 inches to the swing arm and 1 degree to the fork angel for the '18 model year.
Jeff_Tippett is offline  
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2018, 9:00 am
Member
 
Lavey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Stutgart, , Germany
Posts: 30
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIMON View Post
I had a similar wobble on my 2011 Multi and thought nothing of it, until I narrowed it down to the tires. In addition, I test drove a Motus for a second time, before I bought my 2018 Mts and it had those same tires and major wobble. It wasnít the bike as I test drove another one with the Pirellis and it was fine.
I hope so brother! i'm gonna change Michelins with Pirelli scorpions 2 or diablo corsa? what do you suggest?
Lavey is offline  
 
post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2018, 9:01 am
Member
 
Lavey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Stutgart, , Germany
Posts: 30
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Tippett View Post
Ducati knows there is a stability problem with the DVT Multi. That is why they added 2 inches to the swing arm and 1 degree to the fork angel for the '18 model year.
if this is true, that I suppose so, ducati knew from the very beginning back in 2010...the problem...
Lavey is offline  
post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2018, 9:18 am
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
 
DuckMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Houston, Texas, USA
Posts: 17,840
Garage
That ďproblemĒ is if you want a sport touring bike that handles like a sport bike naked, itís not going to have great high speed stability when loaded for touring.

My ST3S and my KTM 990 SMT both fall into this category. Itís really not a big deal. The manufactures always warn about it happening in the owners manual.

The only time it bothers me is when getting into the turbulence of 18 wheelers on the highway when passing them at 90+ mph. I just get light on the bars and ride through it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike
2006 999, 2007 S2R1000, Ninja 400RR
DuckMan is offline  
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2018, 12:14 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMan View Post
That ďproblemĒ is if you want a sport touring bike that handles like a sport bike naked, itís not going to have great high speed stability when loaded for touring.

My ST3S and my KTM 990 SMT both fall into this category. Itís really not a big deal. The manufactures always warn about it happening in the owners manual.

The only time it bothers me is when getting into the turbulence of 18 wheelers on the highway when passing them at 90+ mph. I just get light on the bars and ride through it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I agree. Problem is we ride very fast a good portion of the time. 90mph is our average on trips, with lots of bursts above that. I still would like to know how the damn GS1200 is so stable, must be the telelever front. I have now lost on a top speed race on an S1000XR and the Multi, both due to speed wobble. Kinda sucks because they're always touting their GS's are the best. Maybe so. I can't get around looks of them(yet). But they are starting to make me a believer lol. I just want this Multi to be as fast as its designed, everything else I love about it.

2017 Multi Skyhook, Touring and Enduro bits.
esoteric is offline  
post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2018, 12:17 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Tippett View Post
Ducati knows there is a stability problem with the DVT Multi. That is why they added 2 inches to the swing arm and 1 degree to the fork angel for the '18 model year.

Yes we discussed that at the end of the day, around a few beers. The GS1200 is shaped like a brick, yet has no problem with stability or corner carving for that matter.

2017 Multi Skyhook, Touring and Enduro bits.
esoteric is offline  
post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2018, 6:53 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 176
So in the mean time, I ordered up a 14T c/s sprocket. More acceleration can't hurt right? I don't buy into the hype about the smaller sprocket causing chain wear and swingarm issues. The difference in circumference is negligible. Also, adjusting the chain for the new slack will effectively add to the wheelbase. Could help a tad with stability, and keep the front planted too.

2017 Multi Skyhook, Touring and Enduro bits.
esoteric is offline  
post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2018, 10:13 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Santa Barbara, CA,
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by esoteric View Post
So in the mean time, I ordered up a 14T c/s sprocket. More acceleration can't hurt right? I don't buy into the hype about the smaller sprocket causing chain wear and swingarm issues. The difference in circumference is negligible. Also, adjusting the chain for the new slack will effectively add to the wheelbase. Could help a tad with stability, and keep the front planted too.
I love my 14t front. When it comes time for a new chain, Iíll likely go back to the 15 and add teeth to the back, but for now, itís a perfect solution.
esoteric and DaveNZ like this.
porkrind is offline  
post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2018, 7:51 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 291
Several of my friends from the old Ducati ST forum are now on BMW RTs. They ride 2 up and do long tours. I sat on one yesterday. So wide. But that is what provides the excellent wind protection. I am not ready to jump ship but it is nice to know there are choices.
Jeff_Tippett is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Streetfighter 1098S idle speed issues KrLx_roller Tech Forum 24 Oct 31st, 2018 4:54 am
Who has cross shopped a Speed Triple lately? Gadgetech Monster 16 Jun 6th, 2018 6:35 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome