2017 Speed Wobble, constructive help appreciated. - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 2:22 am

Garage
these Michelins has very soft tyre skeleton. I am in the same position. I must do some changes ( throw money ) to solve this issue. I have played with all kind of suspension settings nothing seemd to correct this. so I must change Michelins with new Pirellis to see if this causing my problem.if not, then I must check suspension! service front fork! I have done wheel balance and found that back and front wheel missed some grams! but after this , problem is still alive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 2:34 am Thread Starter

I am starting to think the tires may be contributing something as well. Funny that my XR was excellent handling, and then later on with Pilot Power 3's it developed a speed wobble. Hmm. Guess if it still does it after the front preload change, I'll have to wait a year to wear out these tires to check that theory.

2017 Multi Skyhook, Touring and Enduro bits.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 2:57 am

Ive fitted PR5s on both my big twins now, I've never been a fan of the Michelins till these come out. i don't think I've been over 200kph yet on them, but they are stable on both bikes. Michelins are light weight walled tires, so require more psi compared to other makes. I'm running cold 35f 38r, they both gain around 3 psi in general riding in our winter, so i think I've got the psi right for winter temps. if I'm loaded up with panniers and passenger ill raise the psi to 38f and 40r. PS these tires are amazing in the damp and wet.

multistrada 1200.. 2010... Black with full system...2016 KTM 1290 GT. Remus can and link pipe. 2018 KTM 790 fun machine.

post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 9:03 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
Check your rear preload also, if the bike is squatting on hard acceleration, the front will feel light and dance on the road surface, i presume these Sach Multis have a progressive spring, which means the first part of the travel the spring is soft then gradually gets firmer through the suspension's stroke, definitely put some more preload up front, as while the rear is squatting under hard acceleration, the front is rising in the stroke to where the progressive spring is at its softest part of its stroke. It wouldn't hurt to do a rider sag measurement to see how much travel rider and bike are using. ideally rider on bike should travel about 1/3 (total travel=180mm, solo rider sag up front should be around 60mm)....i have my multi set at 60mm up front and 50mm rear solo rider.
Definitely check preload front and rear with the bike fully loaded. You mentioned you were on a 4 day trip so I'm guessing you're fully loaded bags on the rear and if you haven't increased the rear pre-load to compensate you'll have a light front end. I have a hard time seeing how tires would cause it, did the wobble happen just the once (road surface or rider inputs?) or repeatedly (bike setup?)?

Cheers

post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 3:50 pm

I had a wobble that got worse and turned into a tank slapper last year on my Tuono. Thought there was something wrong in the front end. When I got it stopped it turned out the rear tire had been punctured, went flat, and was destroyed. Just a thought.
DuckMan and esoteric like this.
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 11:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta03 View Post
Definitely check preload front and rear with the bike fully loaded. You mentioned you were on a 4 day trip so I'm guessing you're fully loaded bags on the rear and if you haven't increased the rear pre-load to compensate you'll have a light front end. I have a hard time seeing how tires would cause it, did the wobble happen just the once (road surface or rider inputs?) or repeatedly (bike setup?)?

Cheers
Yes, I was on 2 up with luggage setting, which is max rear preload 24 indicated.

post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 11:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster4Lee View Post
I had a wobble that got worse and turned into a tank slapper last year on my Tuono. Thought there was something wrong in the front end. When I got it stopped it turned out the rear tire had been punctured, went flat, and was destroyed. Just a thought.

Surprised you kept it up! I ran over a chunk of razor blade on a KLR 650 going about 40mph in town. Rear went flat almost instantly from when I heard sound. It was all I could do not to drop it, and luckily no cars were close behind me.

post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 11:33 pm
Prolific Poster Award

AFAIK the luggage is rated 75 mph top speed because it causes a wobble at high speed, turbulence, weight and so on...
I had similar problem recently at what I think is top speed for the bike and called someone I know who works for Ducati, that was an answer I was given, bike gets wobbly with luggage at high speed

a motorcycle with 2 wheels
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 11:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post
AFAIK the luggage is rated 75 mph top speed because it causes a wobble at high speed, turbulence, weight and so on...
I had similar problem recently at what I think is top speed for the bike and called someone I know who works for Ducati, that was an answer I was given, bike gets wobbly with luggage at high speed

My '12 Multi didn't, but then again these panniers and tail trunk are substantially larger on the '17.

post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 11:45 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoteric View Post
My '12 Multi didn't, but then again these panniers and tail trunk are substantially larger on the '17.
We were talking about my MTS but it came up in conversation that someone from corporate office was having same problem with bike wobbling at speed and I assume those dudes ride latest and greatest... So yeah, I'd say try it without luggage and top case, makes bid difference on mine

a motorcycle with 2 wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode