1260 Gearing and Final Drive Discussion - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 9:00 am Thread Starter

1260 Gearing and Final Drive Discussion

I don’t know how you guys who bought stock 1200s felt, but the gearing on my 1260 is much too tall.

My mechanic advised against going down to a 14T front sprocket, saying it changes the geometry of the drive in a way that could create too much swing arm friction. So I’m going up on the back sprocket.

Anybody have an opinion about 2.8 vs 2.86 final drive ratio? I don’t mind so much sacrificing some theoretical top-end speed to shorten the gearing and tighten thinks up. I’m leaning towards 43T/15T and going to a 525 pitch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2018, 4:22 am

I changed my 2103 multi gearing to 15/43 and the bike pulls great also I have been very happy with the improved 6th gear highway gearing. 80 MPH is 5000 rpm but 60 mph is 4200 rpm just above this bikes dip in the torque curve. I would stay with the 530 chain and of the best quality sold. I used an EK530 SRX2 chain and had to adjust more often than the stock chain. Make certain that you leave the same space from tire to cat as stock your the cat will cook the tire when you stop after every ride. I used the SuperSprox brand front and rear, showing no wear after 13,000 miles.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2018, 8:12 am

Garage
I have done the 15/42 conversion on my 2011 Multistrada and the change has been very beneficial. However, 2nd was unusable in town and the 6th was too tall for highway speeds. Both cases solved. No change whatsoever in consumption. This is not the case with the 1260 though. I found it to be really civilized, without any jerkiness on 1st and 2nd gears. Maybe the 6th is too tall but this is a change that is not really needed in the 1260, only desired. I stayed with the same chain (530 and 108 links). Constant lubrication with a tutoro oiler solved my problems with longevity. 16K kms now on this chain and I haven't even tightened it yet.

Multistrada 1200 ABS '11

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2018, 1:58 pm

When it is time to change the chain and sprockets on my 1260 I will probably go with a 43 in the rear, like I did with my 1200. I like to be able to crawl along in first gear without wearing out the clutch if I want to, and 6th is still high enough it won't have any detrimental effects there either.

2018 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2018, 3:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsurr View Post
Anybody have an opinion about 2.8 vs 2.86 final drive ratio?
Negligible difference.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2018, 10:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

I haven’t liked second gear around town really. I’ve tested it out just driving at the same rpm and seeing how smooth it is and you just get these random jerkey pulls. Not really horrible, but we can do better. And as it stands, sixth has been my “cruise control gear.”

I’m going to pop in a Superlite 15/43 525 conversion kit with a DID chain.

Last edited by mrsurr; Jul 24th, 2018 at 10:20 pm.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk63 View Post
I changed my 2103 multi gearing to 15/43 and the bike pulls great also I have been very happy with the improved 6th gear highway gearing. 80 MPH is 5000 rpm but 60 mph is 4200 rpm just above this bikes dip in the torque curve. I would stay with the 530 chain and of the best quality sold. I used an EK530 SRX2 chain and had to adjust more often than the stock chain. Make certain that you leave the same space from tire to cat as stock your the cat will cook the tire when you stop after every ride. I used the SuperSprox brand front and rear, showing no wear after 13,000 miles.
Can you elaborate on this??

2010 Multi S
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2018, 4:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelly182 View Post
Can you elaborate on this??
I think what monk meant is when you put a larger sprocket and keep the same chain, the rear wheel moves forward closer to a CAT converter.
There are 2 options:
1. Use a longer chain
2. Or (as I did, but not for that reason) put non-CAT exhaust headers. Akra is the best!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2018, 3:19 am

Yes zr1000 is right, add 2 links to the chain length which should put the rear wheel in the middle of the adjustment range.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 3:34 pm

I waited until my chain went on my 13 Multi to replace the sprockets (mistake on waiting). Went up 2 in the rear. Absolutely should have done that as soon as I got the bike, without waiting for the chain. That was WAY worth the cost of admission and I'll do that swap asap on the next one.

09 Multistrada 1100S
13 Multistrada 1200 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode