Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

fuel level sensor

15K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  sibyrnes 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever try and remove it and clean it, the reason I ask is I just took my 2013 multi out of moth balls from winter and the dash flashes fuel sensor error, the sensor was replaced with the up dated version last year and was working perfectly before storage, it had a 1/2 tank of gas and I poured stabil in the tank along with some seafoam so i'm thinking if I just remove it and try and polish it up maybe it will start working again. But first i'm going to have to figure out where it is and how to remove it any hints on that part would be appreciated … Cheers

#2 ·
My 13 multi was stored with full fuel tank and stabilizer and I think I have the D model sensor which I was told was the good one. It worked for first 2 tanks this season then starting flashing fuel sensor error along with check engine light and this went on intermittently for 3 tanks of fuel and then it has acted normal for 4 tanks of fuel. I'm not sure if it is OK or just behaving for now.

#3 ·
I don't know what version I have, it was only replaced once. the first one lasted 2-3 years, I'm assuming it was the original I bought the bike in 2014 off a dealer it went bad last year after winter storage so I had it replaced, now after one year this one is bad I'm hoping it can be just cleaned up and if not I'm hoping its still covered because it is a recall item. Dose anyone know if they just keep replacing them or do you have to keep paying ??

#4 ·
Ducati replaced 3 of the sensors for me. Two of them in the first 2 years and one in the third year. But now I have an extended warranty and they are going to have warranty pay for them. So I am not sure if Ducati would replace the sensor or not if I did not have the warranty.

#5 ·
Ducati approved an out of warranty replacement fuel sensor on my '13. They denied it the first time because the problem was not reproduced at the dealer. At that time they reset the ECU and did diagnostics on the sensor. It had incorrect voltages at some of the positions.

When I brought it in the second time they approved it and it was a free replacement. This time they could reproduce the problem. I think they replaced mine with version "F" if I recall correctly. This was 4/2018 I believe.

My dealer said they would give it a try based on excellent condition and maintenance of my bike, and apparently succeeded in getting it covered the second time.

Hope this helps you.

#6 ·
WTF? I replaced my '12 fuel sensor yesterday afternoon, turned it on and it showed about a 1/4 tank....which is what it had. This morning, I turned it on & it showed 3-4 bars. Fueled it up and.....it blinked 1 bar/empty! And it continued this way for 15+ minutes. Went home and unplugged/plugged in...same reading. Started it & unplugged/plugged it.....same reading. WTF is go on?

#7 ·
My dealer said it needed some kind of ecu operation too. Not sure if it was just a reset or what. There is also a diagnostic test they performed on the old sensor with checking the voltages for the entire travel of the float. I wonder if someone has access to the TSB and can post the procedure of checking the sensor.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Awesome! Thanks for posting! I don't see anything that correlates to what I was told initially when my sensor was tested: That one of several measurements along the travel of the sensor was out of spec, but that all others were fine which was the reason given to me initially that it would not be replaced under warranty. I had to come in a second time and my dealership replaced it.

#13 ·
Tolerate no more, the sensor is a POS and it will fail again we all know it, bite the bullet and get one of those bypass connectors from eBay and be done with your pain, I have one on my multi and the diavel!

#15 ·
Say what! Does it come with a translator, but I do think he started by saying " THIS POS WILL BE YOUR DEATH, THOSE FLASHING LIGHTS WILL HAUNT YOU....."

#16 ·
I also dont understand but it seems that the solders deteriorate in time thus the erratic resistance values.

Just use a soldering iron or gun and soften the solders on the resistors or add solder since he seemed to indicate the roll of solder on his video.

I had my 950 mts sensor replaced in warranty just a few days ago. If it goes bad again and my bike wont be under warranty, ill try the solder repair as seen in his vid.

#18 ·
X2 on that. The sensor system has several issues, solder, swelling of float, fuel type, I even read software between 2014 and the 2015 was cited.

#20 ·
If you still have the original in your 2011 and you replace it with an F version then you will need to take it to a dealer because for some reason Ducati changed the way the sensor is read at version C or D (the one they started to use in the DVTs in 2015). IIRC originally it was reading less fuel as the resistance dropped and now it is the opposite (or the other way around).

#25 ·
Guys don't waist time and money on that faulty sensor and those annoying flashing error, this is a non fixable issue!. Get one of those bypass connectors from fleebay and be done with it! Installed two, multi and di :cool:

#31 ·
Mine on my 2014 was replaced in the first year if I recall and been good since. Just under 13k miles now and bike just got out of service at dealer, the 15k service, and when I picked it up today the fuel sensor error happened. Never had that before, but, I have just replaced the midpipe and removed the charcoal canister and bike actually been doing through the summer. Dealer put some fuel system cleaner in tank and said try that and maybe it will clean the sensor so it will slide freely. Well see. If not hope they will replace, they know it was fine when they got the bike and when I was there to pick it up.

What's this bypass thing mentioned above?

#32 ·
Piscatory that sensor bypass is a connector that when the you have had enough with flashing lights and fuel sensor errors, you remove the fuel connector from the tank sensor and plug this bypass connector. It will stop those errors and flashing lights. It will tell your system you have fuel, BUT you now have to keep track of your mileage as if you had no fuel level gauge. Basically, It tricks he system that you have fuel. I have one in my Multi and one in the Diavel for over a year now. I think it was on EBay that I got them from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.