2017 DVT Luggage options - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2018, 11:50 am Thread Starter

Question 2017 DVT Luggage options

Since Touratech formed their unholy alliance with Ducati for the DVT era looks like this isn't an option . Factory bags on my S are gorgeous, a dramatic improvement from previous, and still suck.

So far the only plausible options (since i like the Aluminum top loading 37-40 L size) are
  • SW Motech Adventure
  • Givi Trekker
  • ???

Anyone have experience on others or LOVE either of these systems? I really dig the Jesse Odyssey II, but no Multi option (i've emailed him though)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2018, 5:53 am

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multi...ggage-dvt.html

The Givi setup looks good when the bags are on. The brackets not so much when the bags are off.
The Givis are not water proof. Get the liners. The SWMotec bags claim to be water proof. Purchasing the Givis from Italy resulted in a big savings.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2018, 9:06 am

Garage
I chose the SW Motech set-up for my 16 Pikes Peak. Quality seems close to the Touratech and looks great installed in my opinion.

I did have to fabricate a bracket for the exhaust side rack due to the hardware change with the Termi exhaust.

Also I bought a set of Touratech locks to replace the Motech locks. The Motech locks have to be locked to remove the key, a real nuisance to have to fumble with keys every time you want to access while traveling.

- Michael

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 11:24 am

Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hndymn View Post
I chose the SW Motech set-up for my 16 Pikes Peak. Quality seems close to the Touratech and looks great installed in my opinion.

I did have to fabricate a bracket for the exhaust side rack due to the hardware change with the Termi exhaust.

Also I bought a set of Touratech locks to replace the Motech locks. The Motech locks have to be locked to remove the key, a real nuisance to have to fumble with keys every time you want to access while traveling.

- Michael
Would you be so kind of give more detail on what you had to do to fabricate that bracket change? As I am in the same boat. Would love some pics of your setup, with and without the bags, if you have them handy too. Thanks! much appreciated!

nm, i see your other post: https://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-mult...ml#post6964531

Ducati Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak MY2019

Last edited by luigi666; Aug 6th, 2019 at 11:53 am.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 2:00 pm

Garage
Love the SW's.
The keys are frustrating but easily sorted. The engineering is spot on and they fit perfectly with the standard pipe or the short Termi.
I did manage to drop the bike at zero speed on a steep incline and the boxes took all the weight. A small scratch on one of the corner the plastic moldings but all good. Rather a great bonus.
The top box came with the bike.
I've attached a couple of photos to help see how this setup feels. best of luck with your decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0752.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	950443   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0349.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	950445   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0354.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	4.01 MB
ID:	950447  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Garage
Currently on my R1200GS i have the touratech 25L top case, 31L side and 37L side.. I love the 25L top case.. just the right size for stuff and urban commuting.. I hate the giant top cases. I love the way my old 2013 pikes peak looked with it, but now the touratech and ducati are doing OEM stuff they don't make an aftermarket rack setup for the 1260.. such BS...

And the aluminum ducati cases are insanely large and heavy.. WTF.

literally considering buying the ducati touratech top case setup and using my 25L case and wasting the 38L giant case.. so $1100 touratech rack... Since it does not apppear in anyway you can just part out the top case rack setup..

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2019, 11:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGilligan View Post
Since Touratech formed their unholy alliance with Ducati for the DVT era looks like this isn't an option . Factory bags on my S are gorgeous, a dramatic improvement from previous, and still suck.

So far the only plausible options (since i like the Aluminum top loading 37-40 L size) are
  • SW Motech Adventure
  • Givi Trekker
  • ???

Anyone have experience on others or LOVE either of these systems? I really dig the Jesse Odyssey II, but no Multi option (i've emailed him though)

What sucks about the factory cases? I have a 2018 Multi PP and recently bought a set of factory panniers for her and think there great. Liners are a nice fit, no ugly brackets to look at when there off and I can put my overly large, heavy helmet in the 1 side case. I’m actually surprised with how much they hold. Sure they are not as big as the aluminum ones, but that’s what’s nice about them. Don’t really notice that much difference when riding with them except when getting in and off the bike.
AK-Bandit and TNMulti like this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2019, 11:32 am

I'm a big fan of the standard Ducati luggage. It looks decent (not quite as cool as the big aluminum boxes), but the attachment system is what I really love.

Quick and easy to get on and off, and when you take it off, there is no skeleton frame showing. I mostly ride with no bags at all, or just the top case and I like the clean look. Love it actually. I think it's genius!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2019, 4:04 pm

Garage
yea, I rode around austria/italy/germany last september on 1260s with the plastic ducati luggage. sure it held a lot, but i think it looks so old-man (no offense old ppl)...

also i liked the idea of being able to buy a set of touratech cases and use them on different bikes without having to buy luggage with every motorcycle...

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2019, 9:56 pm

Garage
SW-Motech ADV on my 2014, very happy with them. The next owner of my Multi can have the "dump all your shit on the floor" Ducati ones.

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode