Michelin Road 5 feedback - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 133 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Garage
I am curious to hear the feedback after 4K miles of aggressive riding. Historically for me, Michelins start moving around a lot after about 3500-4K miles, especially in the rear at 4K, and I'm usually out of tread by 5500-6000 if I can stand it that long. I ran Dunlop Roadsmart III's last time and was extremely happy with the feel right to the end. I got 5600 out of that set and probably could have squeezed out a few hundred more if it wasn't for an 1100 mile trip around SoCal the weekend before last. I've got another set of Roadsmart III's to mount for the June run up to NorCal for the West Coast Ducati Meet...
flynbulldog likes this.

-c-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 133 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2018, 2:26 pm
Bon Vivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235Power View Post
I am curious to hear the feedback after 4K miles of aggressive riding. Historically for me, Michelins start moving around a lot after about 3500-4K miles, especially in the rear at 4K, and I'm usually out of tread by 5500-6000 if I can stand it that long. I ran Dunlop Roadsmart III's last time and was extremely happy with the feel right to the end. I got 5600 out of that set and probably could have squeezed out a few hundred more if it wasn't for an 1100 mile trip around SoCal the weekend before last. I've got another set of Roadsmart III's to mount for the June run up to NorCal for the West Coast Ducati Meet...
I think that's what I'm getting for my next set too...
U235Power likes this.

Vintagedesmo.com

looking for '76 -'81 900 SS bevel, any condition Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*
post #23 of 133 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2018, 5:22 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
The pr5 seems to be a stable transitioning tire with good feedback and excellent feel for the multi but it is a slower turning tire

I'll always have about a half inch of chicken strips on these tires unless I take the bike to the track. For that reason and for my own ego and the fact that I dont see any other advantage, I'm not a fan. I wont be buying these again. So the tires are fine but why should I buy tires that make me look bad?
So let me get this straight. You won't buy them again because they'll leave a 1/2 "chicken strip", and that makes you look bad? In who's eye's? And is your priority what other motorcyclists think when they see that 1/2 "chicken strip"?

The way I see it, that gives you a little in reserve in case you need it. If you're running to the edge, what happens when you need a bit more lean in an unfamiliar decreasing radius turn?

'10 MTS1200 S
'00 VTR1000f

post #24 of 133 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2018, 5:29 pm

Garage
Michelin 5 update

Put about 3,500 miles on a set of the new 5s so far. Rode from Nashville to Santa Rosa ,Fl over the weekend and ran into some heavy rain for about an hour. Tires were great no problems. Running 36 lbs front and rear. No passanger very little weight in luggage.
Wolverine1 and sergeantnic like this.
post #25 of 133 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2018, 1:19 pm

Mounted the Road 5's up on Wednesday and have a little over 500 miles on them so far. First couple turns made me remember why I choose Michelin on all my motorcycles, I just love the profile and feel of Michelin. Pushed them a bit yesterday and they are as I expected, very predictable and stable. Interested to see the mileage I will get out of them.
Wolverine1 likes this.

2016 Multistrada 1200 Touring
post #26 of 133 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2018, 12:56 am

Amazing grip when leaned over, a smooth and quiet ride. I like them much more than PR4s.

Not a big issue but the front tire gets skittish on grooved pavement. Keeps you awake!
Wolverine1 likes this.
post #27 of 133 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2018, 4:51 pm
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+

Garage
Ok, I don't own a Multi. I know there can be differences from bike to bike and how the tires may or not be suitable for a certain application. I have ridden enough different tires on different bikes to have learned to know what the tire is adding to the experience and what part of that is applicable to the bike.

I wish to tell you about my opinion of the PR5 now. This is after years of hating the PR series of tires and dissing them whenever I could.

I think the PR5's are a no shit really good tire. That's my official proclamation.

At the ECM I tried them for the first time on my "little" bike. I had just taken off a set of Dunlop Q3's that were still new. I only changed them because I was expecting a lot of rain. It didn't rain. I put them on and never rode the bike until arriving at the Dragon. Honestly, after a couple laps on the Dragon I was pushing them as hard as any tire I've ever ridden and they did no wrong. After a couple of days the speeds increased and I still could not find anything to fault other than a little lack of feed back and a couple of times I did get the front wheel to chatter. (edit: Chuckracer did help me understand I needed more rebound damping which was probably the cause.) That was the first time on the street I ever experienced that. But they were not holding me back. That a nice way of saying I couldn't over ride them.

The only real negative I felt was when we got on faster roads. When the apex speeds went from 30 to 40 mph to 70 or 80 mph it wasn't so pretty. The tires felt nervous and squirmy turning in. This really didn't surprise me because mounting them it was very noticeable that the casing was very soft. As it should be for a sport touring tire. A little bit of sacrifice to make a sticky tire also comfortable for what most people with be using the tire for.

Again, not on a 500 lb bike with 150 hp but I think I got a good idea of what this tire is capable of from a performance point of view.

YMMV.
t-bills and Wolverine1 like this.

Mike
2006 999, 2007 S2R1000

Last edited by DuckMan; May 31st, 2018 at 5:00 pm.
post #28 of 133 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2018, 6:55 pm
Sophomore Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMan View Post
I think the PR5's are a no shit really good tire. That's my official proclamation.
I'm quoting that stuff so you can't edit it later and deny ever saying it!

I just spooned on a set to the SDGT. My upcoming trip will put them through their paces.
DuckMan, Gadgetech and DaveNZ like this.

Thomas Williams
2018 Multistrada PP, 2012 Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP, 1995 900SS/SP
post #29 of 133 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2018, 1:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bills View Post
I'm quoting that stuff so you can't edit it later and deny ever saying it!

I just spooned on a set to the SDGT. My upcoming trip will put them through their paces.
Will be good to get some feed back from you t-bills on the PR5s on your GT, I've been running Metzler roadtecs O1s, very good tire, but I'm thinking of something a little more sticky for the GT, may be S21s , ill put the PR5s on my Multi next set.

multistrada 1200.. 2010... Black with full system...2016 KTM 1290 GT. Remus can and link pipe. 2018 KTM 790 fun machine.
post #30 of 133 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2018, 3:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
I'm thinking of something a little more sticky for the GT, may be S21s ,
I normally run AGT A spec and get 2,000 miles to the wear bars (on the edges)

I currently have the S21s installed, the rear wears much faster than front ( halfway worn out at 750 miles). Riding in the rain leaned over the AGTs are better.

High speed corners the S21s are outstanding, currently my favorite tire.
YMMV

2016 Multistrada Pikes Peak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode