Michelin Road 5 feedback - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 133 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
I've had PR4s, PR4 GTs, Bridgestone Battleax Hypersport S21s, and now the Road 5s on my DVT. From my perspective, the Road 5s have better grip and feel on the edge than any other tire I've tried (49 deg lean angle registered on Ducati link). I only have 1,500 miles on them so far, but the profile is holding up well at this stage.
That app seems pretty cool, gonna have to try it out!

Sent from my SM-T705W using Tapatalk

2010 MTS 1200 ABS
2009 VROD MUSCLE
2009 Suzuki M90
Yamaha XS 750
Kawasaki KH 400
Kawasaki KX 250
Kawasaki KX 80
Yamaha Chappy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 133 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Garage
I have just over 4k miles on my Road 5's, absolutely love em. I ran 2 sets of PR4's prior to these, and these are definitely stickier in the twisties. I think I'm going to have some great mileage on these, at over 4k miles they still look great. So far so good!
Glen, DaveNZ and Wolverine1 like this.

2013 Multistrada S Touring
2013 Monster 1100 EVO 20th Anniversary #119/200
post #13 of 133 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2018, 11:42 pm

Hey thanx for the feed back guys on the PR5s, I'm on my first ever set of PR4s on the multi, and i hated the front and removed it after 1000Kms, and fitted a Metz O1 up front, I've been happy with the rear, it squirms when pushed hard, but never lets go. 6000Kms and its nearly on the wear bars, I'm going to fit a set of the PR5s next, I'm hearing theres good feed back on the front when pushed, not like the vague 4.
Wolverine1 likes this.

multistrada 1200.. 2010... Black with full system...2016 KTM 1290 GT. Remus can and link pipe. 2018 KTM 790 fun machine.

post #14 of 133 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2018, 7:57 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
Hey thanx for the feed back guys on the PR5s, I'm on my first ever set of PR4s on the multi, and i hated the front and removed it after 1000Kms, and fitted a Metz O1 up front, I've been happy with the rear, it squirms when pushed hard, but never lets go. 6000Kms and its nearly on the wear bars, I'm going to fit a set of the PR5s next, I'm hearing theres good feed back on the front when pushed, not like the vague 4.
I agree with your assessment on the pr4 front. I really didn't like it, so much so that I had a back up plan of fitting a Michelin PowerRS front if I didn't like the 5. So far it has been great. And the rear 4 had the traction control intervening quite a bit more than it has on this 5 (under hard acceleration). No setting changed after the switch.

'10 MTS1200 S
'00 VTR1000f
post #15 of 133 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2018, 8:55 am

Garage
Going to try these next for touring (after the PR4's I now have run out of steam).
Wolverine1 likes this.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #16 of 133 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2018, 8:11 pm

I have the PR5 rear and a PR4 front that I am going to be replacing in the next 30 days or so. The PR5 rear is more sticky it seems than the PR 4 rear was. I have not had the slip on it like I have on the PR4. Also noticed hardly any TC light lashing at me too. I like them and lan to wear them edge to edge over the weekend.
DaveNZ and Wolverine1 like this.

2018 Multistrada 1260S (mine), 2017 Multistrada S (wife’s), 2009 Yamaha FZ-6 (now the sons), 08 KTM 530 EXCR, 05' Yamaha TTR 250
post #17 of 133 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2018, 6:12 am

Picking up my Road 5's tomorrow and mounting them up. Interested to see what they are like.
Wolverine1 likes this.

2016 Multistrada 1200 Touring
post #18 of 133 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2018, 6:04 pm

Mounted mine last night. Just took about a 10 mile ride so no real feedback yet but it feels great. Turn-in for me feels excellent.

Michelin Road 5 feedback-20180515_185017.jpg
Wolverine1 likes this.

Ryan - Apollo Beach, FL
2013 Multistrada Pikes Peak
post #19 of 133 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2018, 1:08 pm

Garage
I installed the RP5's about a month ago and agree with all the positive feedback (from the bike and forum), best feeling tires so far. I have used the Scorpion trail, 3 sets (like them ok but got less than 3 K per set) RP4 (didn't like them too much, sketchy on the track, but got 4 k) Angel GT (2 sets, like them and got just over 3K per set). I'll stick with the RP5's for now.
Wolverine1 likes this.
post #20 of 133 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2018, 1:54 pm
Bon Vivant

I just put them on my multi before heading the ECM. The profile gives a good linear feel from side to side and to me they are a bit slower turning than the pr4. The Multi is a bit sloppy compared to some bikes so I like a more stable feel in turn-in, My streetfighter is a slower turning bike so I like tires that are more lively like the original pp 2ct for that bike. .

I'm different from most people I dont worry about grip because I trust that all of the tires that I buy will have more grip than I need and I dont care about mileage. I buy tires based on feel - some bikes that are loose need a slow turning profile and some bikes that are sluggish can use a fast turning tire. (when I say "turning" I mean the roll/lean from edge to edge) Tires for me are all about feel, the amount of stability and feedback. The pr5 seems to be a stable transitioning tire with good feedback and excellent feel for the multi but it is a slower turning tire

Like the pp3 these tires are quite a bit taller than the previous generation and they have a bunch more side area that will allow you to get the bike leaned over much further. They looked to be designed to get all the way over to past 55 degrees. I had no problem getting the pr4 all the way to the edges on the street (probably somewhere around 45 degrees) but that isnt going to happen with the pr5. I'll always have about a half inch of chicken strips on these tires unless I take the bike to the track. For that reason and for my own ego and the fact that I dont see any other advantage, I'm not a fan. I wont be buying these again. So the tires are fine but why should I buy tires that make me look bad? I expect these tires to last at least 5000 miles as my last 2 sets of pr4s did. I'm going to go with Bridgstones or Dunlops next.

Lately I've really been liking the s21 and Q3, It seems that the tire manufacturers are all looking at more shoulder area, Dunlop's new Q4 advertises a 62 degree lean angle - I wont be buying those either!

Vintagedesmo.com

looking for '76 -'81 900 SS bevel, any condition Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*

Last edited by flynbulldog; May 16th, 2018 at 2:16 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode