Michelin Road 5 feedback - Page 11 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 113 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2019, 7:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine1 View Post
Pressure really affects mileage, do you recall what you kept it at?
37 PSI unless I'm carrying a passenger or a bunch of luggage. Then I bump it to 40.

Ryan - Apollo Beach, FL
2013 Multistrada Pikes Peak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 113 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2019, 8:18 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSteve View Post
Did a track day on mine. Probably have about 1000k miles on them. I live in SoCal though so, not much in the way of bad weather to speak of. Handled really well on the track. Turn in feels nice and predictable and, you can probably tell I'm leaning the bike over a bit. It's hard to directly compare a squared of PR4 (what I had before) with the new PR5s though.
Your highlighted ending sentence epitomized the "apples vs oranges" comparison.
Most opinions on forums have an inherent built-in bias as you just can't compare an old tire with a new one.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak ------ 2016 Monster 1200 R
Panigale 959 (gone but not forgotten)
post #103 of 113 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2019, 8:47 am

I am on my 3rd rear on a 2014 Touring S. I typically get 4 to 4.5K out of a rear. I live 2 hours from T.O.D. and make 3 to 4 trips a month (usually on weekdays), sometimes with the bags on. I was running 36F/36R for pressures and would replace a rear tire when it started looking like this:
Michelin Road 5 feedback-img_2032.jpg

I run the Power RS tire on my SF 848 and use 30F/28R. So I started thinking maybe the lower pressures might work on the MTS. I experimented a little and settled on 34F/32R. Here is a photo of the current Road 5 I am running, it has about 3k on it and I went to the mountains on it yesterday. I have not run these pressures with the bags on and would probably bump up the rear to 34 if I did. Bottom line is the wear seems less severe and the grip levels are the same (if not a little better at the end of a long day). Your results may vary based on rider weight(I weigh about 185#) and riding style.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2300.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	942027  

Old Rocker Dude
2014 Multistrada 1200S Touring / 2015 Streetfighter 848

post #104 of 113 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2019, 10:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jratbut View Post
......I live 2 hours from T.O.D. and make 3 to 4 trips a month (usually on weekdays)........
I'm jealous. While living in Florida has its advantages, good riding roads is not one of them. Can't wait to be able to say something like "I live 2 hours from <insert awesome motorcycle road here>. We are eye balling a relocation to North Georgia in a couple years.

As for your tire pressures, I wonder if the same would hold true on the brutal boring flat roads down here. I always end up burning through the middle well before the rest of the tire is done.

Ryan - Apollo Beach, FL
post #105 of 113 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2019, 7:42 pm

I traded my 13’ in on a new 1260 s and cannot wait to get the Scorpion Trail 2s off of this bike. I have leaned over far enough to go over the edge of the tread on these. I have found using the 190/50 instead of the 190/55 in the rear provides a little bit more round profile of the tire. This gives me a little more tire on the sides. The 50 series has a little shorter sidewall to allow this.

Try it out for yourself. I usually get about 4K miles out of a rear and about 6 to 8k out of the front. Keep in mind, I do not ride them very far into the wear bars. Tires are cheap insurance.

2018 Multistrada 1260S (mine), 2017 Multistrada S (wife’s), 2009 Yamaha FZ-6 (now the sons), 08 KTM 530 EXCR, 05' Yamaha TTR 250
post #106 of 113 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeantnic View Post
I'm jealous. While living in Florida has its advantages, good riding roads is not one of them. Can't wait to be able to say something like "I live 2 hours from <insert awesome motorcycle road here>. We are eye balling a relocation to North Georgia in a couple years.

As for your tire pressures, I wonder if the same would hold true on the brutal boring flat roads down here. I always end up burning through the middle well before the rest of the tire is done.
I grew up in NE Atlanta, my mom still lives there. If you can swing moving to that area you will like it. Choice roads about 80 miles from your house.

Old Rocker Dude
post #107 of 113 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2019, 6:54 am

Quote:
I grew up in NE Atlanta, my mom still lives there. If you can swing moving to that area you will like it. Choice roads about 80 miles from your house.
That is our plan. We are looking at relocating to the Suches, GA area after our oldest graduates high school but may end up living NE Atlanta and just having a cabin in the mountains. We try to get up there twice a year now but would love to be less than 2 hours away.

Ryan - Apollo Beach, FL
post #108 of 113 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2019, 7:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeantnic View Post
That is our plan. We are looking at relocating to the Suches, GA area after our oldest graduates high school but may end up living NE Atlanta and just having a cabin in the mountains. We try to get up there twice a year now but would love to be less than 2 hours away.
If you move to Suches you will be right in the middle of some of the best roads N. Georgia has to offer. See you there!

Old Rocker Dude
post #109 of 113 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2019, 7:55 am

Quote:
If you move to Suches you will be right in the middle of some of the best roads N. Georgia has to offer. See you there!
That is the idea. We've been up there a few times with the bike and I love the area. We are actually heading up there in July and hoping to go back again in September. Will be trailering the bike up there both times.

Ryan - Apollo Beach, FL
post #110 of 113 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:35 am

After a few rides on the Road 5 GT, I'm really liking them A LOT

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

2010 MTS 1200 ABS
2009 VROD MUSCLE
2009 Suzuki M90
Yamaha XS 750
Kawasaki KH 400
Kawasaki KX 250
Kawasaki KX 80
Yamaha Chappy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode