Michelin Road 5 feedback - Page 10 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 135 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2018, 2:25 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastybutler View Post
Hey! I didn't expect to find another Multistrada/ST3 owner here. The ven diagram of Multistrada and Street Triple owners is pretty small I'd imagine.
Indeed. The Multi is a bit of tank around town for me, the ST3R is much easier and a fun hooligan bike. Unfortunately my son is back home at present so I don't get to ride it much

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 135 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2018, 4:38 pm

Garage
3rd rear on 2015 multi

I am getting ready for my 3rd Michelin rear about 6,000 miles on it now. In August we rode to the Sturgis rally and Rocky Mountain national park and down thru Denver and Kansas then back home to Nashville. Also made a quick trip to the Dragon in Sept and in Santa Rosa, Fl now heading back to Tennessee soon. Have ridden thru lots of rain and curvy roads no problems. Tires have been great!!
Wolverine1 likes this.
post #93 of 135 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2018, 7:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastybutler View Post
Hey! I didn't expect to find another Multistrada/ST3 owner here. The ven diagram of Multistrada and Street Triple owners is pretty small I'd imagine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
'14 MTS GT
'18 STRS

Hi!
Nastybutler likes this.

'14 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Granturismo
'18 Triumph Street Triple RS

post #94 of 135 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2018, 3:00 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSteve View Post
'14 MTS GT
'18 STRS

Hi!
hehe. I count at least four of us in the group now
EvilSteve likes this.

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S
post #95 of 135 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2018, 3:22 pm

Garage
Some final early thoughts on the Road 5:

As I noted earlier, I'm very happy with them on my MTS. I did a tour of the Alps in the summer on a S1000XR with relatively fresh Pirelli Scorpion Trail II on it. Solid rain the first day and dry for the remaining 10 days. We pushed hard, no issues at all with the bikes handling (I would gripe about other things). When I got home, I was very unhappy on my MTS, comparitively it felt very sloppy, the front was light and the back was moving around. Replacing its worn out Angel GT with the fresh Road 5 has improved things considerably, however I haven't ridden much in the rain yet.

In comparison, my son seems to be less happy on the ST3R than he was with the PR3 that I took off. Dry performance is good but, he says, he's far less confident of their wet performance having had both the front and rear slip several times, especially when changing lanes on the freeway and on painted lines. He thinks the front also follows lines in the pavement more. Michelin recommends 36PSI in the front for the ST3R which is higher than the Triumph default of 34PSI for its OEM Pirelli Rosso so he's trying that out.
tzoykas and Wolverine1 like this.

post #96 of 135 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2018, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by herveyw View Post
Some final early thoughts on the Road 5:

As I noted earlier, I'm very happy with them on my MTS. I did a tour of the Alps in the summer on a S1000XR with relatively fresh Pirelli Scorpion Trail II on it. Solid rain the first day and dry for the remaining 10 days. We pushed hard, no issues at all with the bikes handling (I would gripe about other things). When I got home, I was very unhappy on my MTS, comparitively it felt very sloppy, the front was light and the back was moving around. Replacing its worn out Angel GT with the fresh Road 5 has improved things considerably, however I haven't ridden much in the rain yet.

In comparison, my son seems to be less happy on the ST3R than he was with the PR3 that I took off. Dry performance is good but, he says, he's far less confident of their wet performance having had both the front and rear slip several times, especially when changing lanes on the freeway and on painted lines. He thinks the front also follows lines in the pavement more. Michelin recommends 36PSI in the front for the ST3R which is higher than the Triumph default of 34PSI for its OEM Pirelli Rosso so he's trying that out.
So you have a 5 rear, what’s up front?
For me, the pr3 & pr4’s siping, which is great for rain performance, promoted the squirmy feel. As the tire is pushed, those tread blocks move over a bit to lean on the next row. This is evident when inspecting the wear pattern (again, when pushed in the dry). I have pics of it on my laptop if you’d like to see, but I’d guess you may have already experienced it. For this reason, I was never a fan. Left a very uneasy and confidence sapping feeling. Not whatcha want in your rubber. The 5’s on the other hand, have near slick edges for a very stable and solid grip feel.
That said, I had a Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa front (2 or 3, can’t remember) on my MTS when I bought it. It was excellent! If I could afford rubber that frequently, I’d run them.
DaveNZ likes this.

'10 MTS1200 S
'00 VTR1000f
post #97 of 135 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2018, 9:26 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine1 View Post
So you have a 5 rear, what’s up front?
Road 5 front and rear, both bikes; sorry, I realize my comment on pressures and Rosso's might have been misleading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine1 View Post
For me, the pr3 & pr4’s siping, which is great for rain performance, promoted the squirmy feel. As the tire is pushed, those tread blocks move over a bit to lean on the next row. This is evident when inspecting the wear pattern (again, when pushed in the dry). I have pics of it on my laptop if you’d like to see, but I’d guess you may have already experienced it. For this reason, I was never a fan. Left a very uneasy and confidence sapping feeling. Not whatcha want in your rubber. The 5’s on the other hand, have near slick edges for a very stable and solid grip feel.
That said, I had a Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa front (2 or 3, can’t remember) on my MTS when I bought it. It was excellent! If I could afford rubber that frequently, I’d run them.
Agree on the PR3; I never ran PR4 on my MTS because I wasn't happy with the feel of the PR3 on the ST3R, instead I went Angel GT which I liked for most of their life. However with 8k miles on them, they were getting square and very thin, hence the Road 5 for the fall/winter/spring rain in the PNW.

I also splashed on a No-Mar Classic so I expect we'll be experimenting again come the summer
Wolverine1 likes this.

Last edited by herveyw; Oct 7th, 2018 at 9:29 pm. Reason: Seasons.
post #98 of 135 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2018, 4:36 pm

I have a 13 MTS that i have been through the original Pirelli Scorpion Trail in about 2500 miles. Then went to the PR 3, Pirelli Angel GT, and PR4, and now PR5. I find the PR5 to be the best of all of them. I average about 4-6 thousand miles on a rear with a new front about every 8. Keep in mind once I get into the wear bars they are gone.

2018 Multistrada 1260S (mine), 2017 Multistrada S (wife’s), 2009 Yamaha FZ-6 (now the sons), 08 KTM 530 EXCR, 05' Yamaha TTR 250
post #99 of 135 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2019, 9:31 am

Well, I bought this Road 5 and mounted it last May. Unfortunately, I did not track what mileage I had at that time. However, I know I put about 7,500 miles on the bike since March of last year so I believe I got 5,000 - 6,000 miles out of this tire.

Michelin Road 5 feedback-58430264_464980654241892_6601444160782204928_n.jpg

With Florida being so flat and straight, you really burn through the middle of tires. While I'm pretty happy with the mileage, I went ahead and bought a Battleax T31 since Bridgestone had a sale this month.

Ryan - Apollo Beach, FL
2013 Multistrada Pikes Peak
post #100 of 135 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2019, 6:51 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Pressure really affects mileage, do you recall what you kept it at?
Buhgaboo likes this.

'10 MTS1200 S
'00 VTR1000f
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode