2015/17 DVT vs 2018 1260 low rpm comparison - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 11:36 am Thread Starter

2015/17 DVT vs 2018 1260 low rpm comparison

Greetings , been following some of the posts on new 1260 being stronger / smoother /more linear torque curve power band (on dyno graphs) and rider reports,
but my question is more specific..does the new 1260 bike/engine have the same the same jerky/hesitation/surge/stumble/chugging issues at "Down Low" rpm (idle to 3-4 k)
as my new 2016 P/P has ? I know others have had similar issues like me...but has Ducati fixed any of that unacceptable behavior for 2018??? Really sucks !
( I have voiced many complaints on my "fueling issues" on the forum before)

I'm not a happy camper, and cannot live with this crap..I plan to try a 2018 maybe next month , and compare them myself, ..schedule /weather/personal issues permitting ...
I've been only able to put about 200 miles on my bike, and would like to do my first service at that time, and have any downloads/updates on my bike that haven't been done..done
but I'm not getting a warm-fuzzy feeling that fixing my problem ...and from reliable sources I have.. nobody has an aftermarket /true/ fix/ecu flash for the 15-17 DVT's
I know the Termi comes with an ecu change that is a big help,weight/heat/performance wise...but that comes with a big cost/ noise/ and liability issues

Having had lots of Ducati's since the 70's , I was really looking forward to this one,( better suited for my old tired body/bones ) but I'm trying to decide what to do going forward
Do I throw more money / do service etc on the 2016 P/P ,in hopes of a fix or keep the miles down , take a hit and put more money towards a 18 S , (2018 P/P not a good financial option)
would like to keep the one I have , but am I dreaming to think there is a viable solution for this mess ?

Appreciate any feedback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 11:59 am

I have a 2015 1200s, had two ecu flash fixes and sensor replacement all from Ducati service at my dealer, service bulletins.
My bike runs real smooth, nothing like your saying:

"jerky/hesitation/surge/stumble/chugging issues at "Down Low" rpm (idle to 3-4 k) "

Sent from my SM-T705W using Tapatalk
freewheelburner likes this.

2010 MTS 1200 ABS
2009 VROD MUSCLE
2009 Suzuki M90
Yamaha XS 750
Kawasaki KH 400
Kawasaki KX 250
Kawasaki KX 80
Yamaha Chappy
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 2:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
I have a 2015 1200s, had two ecu flash fixes and sensor replacement all from Ducati service at my dealer, service bulletins.
My bike runs real smooth, nothing like your saying:

"jerky/hesitation/surge/stumble/chugging issues at "Down Low" rpm (idle to 3-4 k) "

Sent from my SM-T705W using Tapatalk
I also have a 2015 model and experience none of the problems the poster describes.
Glen and MTSBoom like this.

2015 S Touring
2011 S Touring (now my loaner)

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 10:50 pm

Garage
In the end it's about whether you enjoy riding the bike... Clearly, OP does not and my money is on him never getting there with the 2016.

My recommendation is to test ride the 2018... if it fits the bill, I would wait six months and pick up a lightly used S or even a PP. In 2017 I was quoted a hair over $19,000 (not including sales tax) to have a new 2016 PP shipped across the country to me.

... in any case, it seems to me that what the OP is actually looking for is the 2017 1200GS... model was updated last year and used examples could probably be had for $16,500...

Life is short and there are so many different bikes out there that struggling with one does not really seem worth it.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2018, 12:23 am

Garage
Hey Quaaack, send me a PM with your contact info. I might be able to help you out.
George.

2015 Multistrada DVT 1200S-Touring
2017 Husqvarna FE501
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2018, 10:57 am

I have none of those issues on my 2015 1200 S either. But I do have full Termi with Termi flash. I bought it that way and have no idea how it runs stock.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2018, 11:10 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HNMTS1200 View Post
In the end it's about whether you enjoy riding the bike... Clearly, OP does not and my money is on him never getting there with the 2016.

My recommendation is to test ride the 2018... if it fits the bill, I would wait six months and pick up a lightly used S or even a PP. In 2017 I was quoted a hair over $19,000 (not including sales tax) to have a new 2016 PP shipped across the country to me.

... in any case, it seems to me that what the OP is actually looking for is the 2017 1200GS... model was updated last year and used examples could probably be had for $16,500...

Life is short and there are so many different bikes out there that struggling with one does not really seem worth it.
What the guy is complaining about sounds like the nature of a twin... he should get out of Ducati and buy an XR or a Triumph Explorer - he'll be much happier with their power delivery.
HNMTS1200 likes this.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2018, 10:33 pm

I have a 2015 1200S and have had several flashes done over the past few years. Mine runs really well with zero issues. I have had a BUNCH of ducs since the 90’s and this has been the smoothest by a good bit.
MTSBoom likes this.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2018, 8:24 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSheppard View Post
I have a 2015 1200S and have had several flashes done over the past few years. Mine runs really well with zero issues. I have had a BUNCH of ducs since the 90’s and this has been the smoothest by a good bit.
Agree... my cousin has a 13S and power wise it feels identical to my 15S... with the one exception being at low rpm where the 15 gives you maybe 500rpm more usable range. Before I started changing gearing (so they were both identical) he'd generally be one gear higher than me in lower speed areas (towns).

However... while the DVT IS smoother at low rpm, it's still rough compared to my Tiger for instance (which is silky smooth into the 2k range). It just depends on what you want... when I was loafing I'd find myself running the DVT at higher rpm than the Tiger (mid-high 3k range vs mid-high 2k range) and up there it was plenty smooth and got the same fuel economy as the tiger (low 50's). This was before gearing and performance updates that will certainly ding mileage.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2018, 9:08 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
What the guy is complaining about sounds like the nature of a twin... he should get out of Ducati and buy an XR or a Triumph Explorer - he'll be much happier with their power delivery.
Agree... I just recommended the GS because it's a twin and I think smoother than the KTM. Pretty sure given the sensitivity to one of the smoother twin motors out there (DVT), I'm pretty sure OP will be sensitive to XR vibrations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode