But how many of you guys who like your pre-2018 MTS bikes grew up with sport bikes? I grew up off road and still prefer the handling of a 19" or 21" front tire. I love my Monster 821 (apart from two oil leaks that has me partially convinced to NOT chance any new water cooled Ducati) and know that it is a wicked cornering machine compared to anything else I have ridden but can't see the changes made to the MTS being anything but positive for anyone other than a track rider. Now that may be a real issue for some of you but for most riders who want a sport touring bike, the changes may be very worthwhile. If the bikes goes from 90/10 to 85/15 in favor or sport to touring I'll be better off. But if the change is 70/30 or god forbid 60/40 then that is too radical.
Ducati needs to balance this as best they can. If they take away too much performance then buyers will now longer see themselves as getting a really hot bike that happens to do a great job of touring. It is one thing to alienate, say the 5% of the riders who really want max performance but will be okay with just a little bit less. It is another thing altogether to alienate the other 95% like me who still want a sport tourer but if they turn the bike into BMW then there is no reason to buy the Ducati. If Lamborghini or Ferrari start to over emphasize posh appointments, comfort and rear visibility and switch power plants to tuborcharged inline 4's they'll lose not just the hard core race drivers but all the other buyers who want real high performance but still a somewhat radical race car and not a civilized Honda or BMW. We have Japan and Germany for that.