2018 Multi 1260 - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2017, 6:56 am Thread Starter

Does any owner of a '15, ' 16, or '17 DVT feel that their bike lacks stability at high speeds? I haven't heard complaints here. I love the agility of my '17 and of the '15 before it. I would not want to lose agility for more stability. I'll need to ride an '18 to know for sure how the changes to the geometry affect the bike in my world.
shumar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2017, 7:22 am
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+

Garage
With that stretched swing arm you shouldnít need to worry about wheelie control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike
2006 999, 2007 S2R1000, Ninja 400RR
post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2017, 9:22 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Tippett View Post
Does any owner of a '15, ' 16, or '17 DVT feel that their bike lacks stability at high speeds? I haven't heard complaints here. I love the agility of my '17 and of the '15 before it. I would not want to lose agility for more stability. I'll need to ride an '18 to know for sure how the changes to the geometry affect the bike in my world.
I've had my 15 moving right along a couple times and never felt there was a stability problem. I HAVE felt the front end was too light when I had the bike loaded up but adjusting the suspension helped most of that (though I really need a heavier spring, which afaik nobody makes yet).

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"

post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2017, 10:56 am

But how many of you guys who like your pre-2018 MTS bikes grew up with sport bikes? I grew up off road and still prefer the handling of a 19" or 21" front tire. I love my Monster 821 (apart from two oil leaks that has me partially convinced to NOT chance any new water cooled Ducati) and know that it is a wicked cornering machine compared to anything else I have ridden but can't see the changes made to the MTS being anything but positive for anyone other than a track rider. Now that may be a real issue for some of you but for most riders who want a sport touring bike, the changes may be very worthwhile. If the bikes goes from 90/10 to 85/15 in favor or sport to touring I'll be better off. But if the change is 70/30 or god forbid 60/40 then that is too radical.

Ducati needs to balance this as best they can. If they take away too much performance then buyers will now longer see themselves as getting a really hot bike that happens to do a great job of touring. It is one thing to alienate, say the 5% of the riders who really want max performance but will be okay with just a little bit less. It is another thing altogether to alienate the other 95% like me who still want a sport tourer but if they turn the bike into BMW then there is no reason to buy the Ducati. If Lamborghini or Ferrari start to over emphasize posh appointments, comfort and rear visibility and switch power plants to tuborcharged inline 4's they'll lose not just the hard core race drivers but all the other buyers who want real high performance but still a somewhat radical race car and not a civilized Honda or BMW. We have Japan and Germany for that.

NC
post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2017, 7:26 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Tippett View Post
Yep I think the 2016 DVT is less stable than my 2011 with Ohlins SCU. Especially at high speed corners. I did some trackdays on the old one, pretty stable. I did 1 trackday on the new one, scared.... Also on highways never had any problems with panniers mounted, on the 2016 DVT you have to stop at 200km/u because of the wiggle
Numbercruncher likes this.

Multistrada 1260S DVT 2018 Touring pack, the Netherlands
post #16 of 79 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschemkes View Post
Yep I think the 2016 DVT is less stable than my 2011 with Ohlins SCU. Especially at high speed corners. I did some trackdays on the old one, pretty stable. I did 1 trackday on the new one, scared.... Also on highways never had any problems with panniers mounted, on the 2016 DVT you have to stop at 200km/u because of the wiggle
btw i bought the new 1260, so I'm very curious to see if the high speed corner handling is better

post #17 of 79 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2017, 4:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschemkes View Post
on the 2016 DVT you have to stop at 200km/u because of the wiggle
Iíve been at those speed without issues (not long cruising, though. Only a few minutes at a time) What tires were you running? I stick to Pirelli angel GTís

Scott
'15 Multi S touring, '12 BMW R1200 GS
post #18 of 79 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2017, 4:31 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
Iíve been at those speed without issues (not long cruising, though. Only a few minutes at a time) What tires were you running? I stick to Pirelli angel GTís
Angel GT me too. And before you ask, tire pressure was good.

post #19 of 79 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2017, 9:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
As long as no one's looking, Iíll add, ďMe too.Ē My Ducati Link app shows a highest recorded speed a little north of 120mph, hit on a long straight section in one of the valleys east of here. Donít recall any particular twitchiness. 10/10, would do again.
post #20 of 79 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2017, 7:56 am

How come the hp and torque are less on the new one but cc displacement is bigger? Will fuel economy be less as well?

2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX | 2016 Multistrada S (totaled) | 2013 Multistrada S Touring (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode