Recommendations of Best battery for cold weather starting - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Recommendations of Best battery for cold weather starting

Can anyone recommend me the best battery to use for colder weather starting. Moving from Southern California to North Carolina soon. Got the Enduro new in June, always felt that the stock battery is a bit weak. Turns the bike over pretty slow most days. What would be the best option for the strongest starting battery. I like to ride to work most days (I'm a stupid Brit) unless it's snowing or black ice. Cold weather does not really faze me.

2016 Enduro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 7:47 pm

AGM batteries have good cold start performance and do not mind being stored as much as lead-acid batteries. If you aren't after the weight savings of a lithium battery, and willing to deal with the quirks and cost, the AGM will operate like a stock battery but with better overall performance and operating parameters. If you uses a charger or battery tester, make sure it is specified for the type of battery you have.

2001 Monster S4
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 7:54 pm

Garage
I've had very good luck with Odyssey brand batteries, which are AGM. No problem starting my GS in sub-freezing weather. They also last forever, and are very tolerant of being deeply discharged.
Strega likes this.

2014 Multistrada GT
Past: BMW 1150 GS, Moto Guzzi Norge 8v GT, some sort of Honda

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 8:22 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Can anyone recommend me which size Odessey battery to fit my DVT Enduro? they don't seem to list a size for this bike?

2016 Enduro
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 7:52 am

Not strictly "on topic" but I think very much related to cold weather starting ... battery to ground and starter wiring. You might want to investigate this as well. For example:

starting upgrade for Ducati motorcycles

(not affiliated in any way; just know that small wires = voltage drop = less than ideal performance of the starter)

2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 10:25 am

My '15 Multistrada is a slow starter, but I haven't changed anything on it yet.

My 1299S also chugs a bit with the OEM battery, so I replaced it with a Shorai and it cranks up much quicker.

My Aprilia Tuono also struggled and it was known for having stator and grounding issues. I put a Shorai battery and a set of the MotoElectric cables on it and it spins up and starts much faster.

I had a Shorai battery in my KTM 300XCW that I didn't touch for 3 years, no trickle charger of anything. When I decided to sell it, I figured I had to make sure it was still running nicely. It fired right up off the battery with the second touch of the starter button.

At some point I will replace the Multistrada battery with a Shorai.

'15 Ducati Panigale 1299S, '15 White Ducati Multistrada S (Vin #1000), '12 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC, '08 KTM 300XCW, '07 Ducati 1098s, '98 Yamaha R1, '93 Bimota DB2, '76 Honda CB400F
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 11:11 am

MBT12B4

I hear good things about the Motobatt line. I don't have one but when my mts needs one I will probably go with the Motobatt. As I have searched Odyssey does not seem to make a battery that fits the mts. Let us know what you get and if it works.
Cheers
Stevo
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 11:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwelkie View Post
Not strictly "on topic" but I think very much related to cold weather starting ... battery to ground and starter wiring. You might want to investigate this as well. For example:

starting upgrade for Ducati motorcycles

(not affiliated in any way; just know that small wires = voltage drop = less than ideal performance of the starter)
I will second this. I had replaced the battery on my SuperSport about every other year as it always seemed to "just" start in colder weather... it never left me stranded but it felt like it was only a matter of time. The new battery was better than the old, but not terribly confidence-inspiring. I chalked it up to a small battery overcoming the friction and compression of a big twin. Then I upgraded the electrical system to starter wiring with larger-gauge cable, cleaned all connections (including battery to frame which is often overlooked) and coated everything with dielectric grease and WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Suddenly the bike would start from cold in warmer weather in less than a second of cranking, and I had NO PROBLEM cranking in cold weather.

I just started up my multi this morning, it was 2C / 34F and it started with no drama, ~1sec. I just put a brand new lead acid battery in last week, I find that regular old lead-acid batteries of a decent brand (i.e. Interstate, AC Delco, etc.) work fine down into pretty low temps, well below freezing, if the bike is garaged at night. They are a helluva lot cheaper than AGM's, and I can charge it with any number of chargers I already own. If it's going to be really cold, we're talking colder than -10C / 13F, any battery's performance is going to suffer... the manufacturer's literature will tell you at what temp the rated CCA was measured at, and how much drop you can expect with temp.

One last thing is that if you are doing short commutes, your battery may not be getting back to fully charged after the prolonged cranking required in colder weather... especially if you've got heated grips, or extra lights, or power your phone/gps/bluetooth... a trickle charger will dramatically improve the performance, and increase the usable lifespan, of your battery in this situation.

'09 Multistrada 1100s

Last edited by dspear99ca; Oct 23rd, 2017 at 11:42 am.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 2:33 pm

Garage
I don't know how the current Multis are for wiring and what the stock battery is, and my last two bikes (the Guzzi and the MS) have the factory Yuasa battery and I had zero issues with them. My Guzzi started right up in sub-freezing weather with a five year old battery, and my MS had no issues starting up last winter in sub-freezing. Unless something changes my mind, I'll go with another Yuasa, which I believe is AGM.

Pity about the Odyssey, those are nice batteries, but a Yuasa AGM for under a hundred bucks would do for me.
duc96cr likes this.

2014 Multistrada GT
Past: BMW 1150 GS, Moto Guzzi Norge 8v GT, some sort of Honda
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 5:20 pm

The stock Yuasa is as good as they get
Pampero, nikwax and capeones like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode