Anyone NOT buy the 950 due to too many features removed? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2017, 8:13 pm Thread Starter

Anyone NOT buy the 950 due to too many features removed?

I imagine most people who buy the MTS 1200 really want the amazing power that bike produces. For me, and since all my riding will be below 100 mph, I think the 950 engine makes a lot of sense. I also like the 19" front tire where I can run a number of ADV tread patterns should I want to use the bike as an ADV bike.

While the price of the 950 is really low in my mind, I think Ducati removed too many options and the price is almost too low. As a bare minimum, Ducati should offer a "Technology Package" that adds back cruise control, the LED headlight and the TFT display. I would pay $1,500 for this package and still save big money over the 1200S that I have my eye on.

I can handle the 1200's power just fine but given how much performance is on tap, I'd probably have more fun with the smaller motor as I could get into the upper revs more frequently.

So I guess I am curious if anyone here liked the idea of the 950 engine, but agrees Ducati cut out too many features to save money. As it stands there is about a $6,000 difference between the two bikes and even with my fictional $1,500 option package the bike is still substantially cheaper but has options I think a lot of people would prefer to have.

NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2017, 8:38 pm

Anyone NOT buy the 950 due to too many features removed?

I have had a look at the 950 and apart from a lot a features missing, the quality of the switch gear is also not the same. They have used cheap parts. Also, the belly pan is plastic, not metal or whatever. Also, it does not cover the exhaust pipe on the bottom and a portion of the header is exposed. Honestly, my opinion, I would not buy the 950 and itís a cheap way ducati are trying to sell more bikes rather than actually deliver a good product. Those who buy the 950 will love it, until they have a look at the 1200 side by side.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Numbercruncher, I think I understand your assessment. When you can take a small displacement bike out and work to keep up with the boys, there is an enjoyment in it, to a point. For casual riding, the torque of the larger engine makes riding a lot easier. Where one gear fits, two might work. The smaller engine makes the bike less of a multi purpose ride,

All that said, the main reason I would not consider it is the 19" front wheel. That will totally change the dynamics of Ducati handling. You put a bigger gyro on the steering end of the bike and you will have a more stable ride but IMO, spirited riding will suffer. That being my opinion without ever riding one, so I could be off base. I certainly would recommend a lengthy ride on both bikes rather than a sales blurb, or strictly price point decision.

2001 Monster S4

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2017, 9:30 pm Thread Starter

Fredoonk,

You are able to point out many of the items I have not been able to glean. It does appear we agree that too many cost savings measures have been implemented.

Jahjah,

I rode the 1200 and really like the bike. But is it VERY powerful. Yes I am man enough to control it but like you alluded to, there are times when the satisfaction comes from using all the available performance when the rider is running and gunning the engine. But I also agree the massive amount of torque makes it easier to ride as less shifting is required.

I am really invested to learn more about the new 1260. I know the leaked information claims the bike is like 10 kg lighter but I find that hard to believe. To drop 20 pounds would be a major redesign and the DVT was a complete refresh in 2015. Maybe the bike will be a major overhaul and we'll all be surprised.

I wish the white color was offered with a gray frame as opposed to red or to meet another of my unrealistic expectations, they offer the bike in yellow. I love the Ducati red but wouldn't mind something a little different.

NC
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2017, 8:09 am

In addition to the 19" front wheel the 950 uses the 2 sided swing arm that adds about 2 inches of wheelbase. I haven't ridden a 950 but I imagine it is less nimble than the 1200.

For me, the Skyhook suspension on the 1200s is the most important difference between the DVT and the 950. If you ride on poor pavement (don't we all?) the Skyhook system allows you to maintain your speed without bouncing all over the place. Combined with the other features of the 1200, the extra cost of the 1200 is justified (for me).
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2017, 8:52 am
Hammer Down

Garage
If you want to have time where you’re wringing it out to keep up, drop it in urban mode to cut the HP and when you’re done put it back in high HP mode.
Numbercruncher likes this.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2017, 9:48 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredoonk View Post
I have had a look at the 950 and apart from a lot a features missing, the quality of the switch gear is also not the same. They have used cheap parts. Also, the belly pan is plastic, not metal or whatever. Also, it does not cover the exhaust pipe on the bottom and a portion of the header is exposed. Honestly, my opinion, I would not buy the 950 and it’s a cheap way ducati are trying to sell more bikes rather than actually deliver a good product. Those who buy the 950 will love it, until they have a look at the 1200 side by side.
I suspect a few 1200 riders will actually take the skid plate off to reduce weight. I have not looked at the 950 switch gear, but agree that the switch gear on the MTS is very touring friendly.

I actually preferred the 950 initially because it is the lighter motorcycle, but ultimately decided to go with the 1200 because it had cornering ABS. Granted, I hope to never use it, but with big, powerful bikes (as all bikes in this class are) with somewhat exaggerated reactions to throttle and braking inputs, it does make me feel more comfortable.

Last edited by HNMTS1200; Oct 9th, 2017 at 4:15 pm.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2017, 12:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahjah View Post
Numbercruncher, I think I understand your assessment. When you can take a small displacement bike out and work to keep up with the boys, there is an enjoyment in it, to a point. For casual riding, the torque of the larger engine makes riding a lot easier. Where one gear fits, two might work. The smaller engine makes the bike less of a multi purpose ride,

All that said, the main reason I would not consider it is the 19" front wheel. That will totally change the dynamics of Ducati handling. You put a bigger gyro on the steering end of the bike and you will have a more stable ride but IMO, spirited riding will suffer. That being my opinion without ever riding one, so I could be off base. I certainly would recommend a lengthy ride on both bikes rather than a sales blurb, or strictly price point decision.
Funny, I bought the 950 due to the 19" front wheel as a large factor. It's NOT a "track bike" that's for sure. However, it makes a rather decent ADV bike. I've had mine off road many times and thoroughly enjoy it. I believe the smaller engine makes it MORE of a multi purpose ride. True, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the 1200, but the ONLY thing I miss is cc. Other than that I am thoroughly enjoying the fact of saving $10,000.00 buy passing on the 1200 which was staged next to my 950 at the dealer. Isn't choice a great thing??

2017 MTS950; 2014 HD Ultra Classic
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2017, 1:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetech View Post
If you want to have time where youíre wringing it out to keep up, drop it in urban mode to cut the HP and when youíre done put it back in high HP mode.
That is something I am strongly considering and glad you hit on it. I don't know if it will still be as satisfying as with the bike that also has less torque but iI can take another test ride and try this out myself. I have to say the Skyhook on-the-fly adjustable suspension was pretty nice.

NC
Gadgetech and Juozaz like this.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2017, 3:23 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbercruncher View Post
Fredoonk,

I am really invested to learn more about the new 1260. I know the leaked information claims the bike is like 10 kg lighter but I find that hard to believe. To drop 20 pounds would be a major redesign and the DVT was a complete refresh in 2015. Maybe the bike will be a major overhaul and we'll all be surprised.
I see several areas where the weight could come off. Redesign the catalytic converter, use lighter wheels (admittedly a small saving), lighten the skid plate (doubt there would be that many complaints from the non-Enduro crowd), center stand, passenger footpeg assembly... I also look at the mirror-holders and they seem almost excessively sturdy, but I have not weighed them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode