How is the wind protection? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2017, 9:47 pm Thread Starter

How is the wind protection?

Hi guys & gals,

Let me start off by saying I have 2015 Diavel CR and I love the bike, sexy as hell, comfortable, and plenty fast. However let's face it, the thing is not a good cold weather machine. I have had the bike for 2.5 years and have 5,000 miles on it. I never ride it in the winter and I miss the convenience of saddle bags so I rarely ride it out when I am going places.

I came from a 2011 Connie 14, it was a great bike, fast, well handled, comfy, and wired for heat, not to mention the bags and top case. So I am thinking about getting back to a sport tour bike and have been looking around. Nothing really grabs me as sexy, but I do like the MTS. I rode one 3 years ago, but don't really remember much other then it is pretty tall and I am 6'. I plan to go ride one again, but want to get the take on it from the crowd.

Anyways my long winded preface to ask how is the window protection from both the screen and and fairings? Would you choose the bike over a tourer like the FJR, Concours 14, etc. I know they aren't quite apples to apples, but the do crossover in functionality.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate your thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2017, 12:31 am

I rode a '16 Multistrada from Pennsylvania to Cape Breton Island to Fairbanks, Alaska in September / October (it was cold in northern Canada / Alaska). I'm 6'2" and had the seat in the high position.

I used a California Scientific XL screen with an MRA spoiler. It was better than stock and the spoiler kept the bugs off of my face shield, but the setup wasn't great. I think the fairings are OK.

That said, the seating position is comfortable and the bike is a lot of fun to ride fast over long distances. A lot of fun.

So, in my opinion the protection is good enough; the way the bike rides while being comfortable is hard to beat.

'16 Multistrada

Last edited by accelerating; Feb 7th, 2017 at 6:26 am.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2017, 1:40 am

Garage
Hi

I went from a BMW 1200RT tourer to a MTS 1200 DVT. My standard for comfort is pretty high. The MTS is a good long distance tourer. Very spacious riding position (I am 6ft 2). The screen does take a lot of wind load off you, but dumps a ton of (clean) air at your helmet, making things noisy. On the BMW you could raise the screen up an sit in still, silent air, but not so on the MTS. The heated grips + hand guards keep your hands warm on the MTS and there are power sockets if you want to use heated clothing.

The MTS will be a more exciting ride than an FJR in my view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2017, 5:53 am
North Carolina, USA

You will definitely give up some creature comfort compared to your Connie, but agree with the other two. The bike handles like a comfortable sportbike. Wind protection/wind noise for the multis has always been a topic on here, and you will most likely end up experimenting with different windscreens and the like. I have the stock screen with aftermarket spacers and 'hiss flaps' mounted on the fairings, and am happy with the wind protection. My local riding group rides year round, regularly starting out on rides with temps in the 20s F, and I am fine with the heated grips and jacket liner.

'12 Multi Touring these days
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new Thruxton R
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2017, 8:32 am

Garage
I just had another list member PM me about my setup and it's relevant to this post, so I'm gonna post the reply here:

I use a MRA Vario Touring with a Palmer Products bracket, for background. (MRA Screen Post and Pics: https://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multi...ml#post6003434)

----
Yup I'm still rocking the Palmer Bracket and the MRA Screen. Your Cal Sci screen is gonna be A LOT larger then the MRA screen, that's for sure. But I found that the advantage to the MRA screen (Specifically the Vario Model) coupled with the Palmer bracket is adjustability.

The Vario option on the MRA allows you to change the deflection over the screen itself, pretty much while riding, so if you adjust the height using the built in Ducati mechanism, you can then tune the wind with the Vario portion (Think of this is fine grained control).

The Course grained control, is the Palmer bracket. It has three position to adjust the overall angle of the screen that is attached, no matter which screen it is. While I've mostly kept mine in the 1st position, that is close to the stock, this allows a course adjustment, though you have to be stopped to really do it.

Overall, I think it's a really nice setup and I love the adjustabilty. Though now that I know the real trick to the MRA screen is the Vario part, which is available separately, if you already have a screen you like, that might be an option. Personally, I like smoked vs clear, and have replaced all of the screens on my bikes with smoked version except one (My track bike). So I would have bought the MRA screen anyway to get the Vario option
Jewcati likes this.

2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2006 Suzuki SV1000S
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2017, 10:15 am

I came from a K1600GT to the Multistrada. WAY more fun to ride. Made the change because I wanted a lighter bike, getting. Wind was horrible a first. Bought a CalSci and that helped but still not where the BMW was on noise. Made a deflector for the wind coming through the hole in the CalSci BIG help on noise, will use if I put the CalSci back on. Bought a 18" 7JuRock clear touring windshield off of this site. Way better than the CalSci in noise and looks. Have only had one long day ride so still not read to give a finial review. 75 degrees next week after the rain so riding next week.
complexCarlo likes this.

Keep your best wheel forward. 2016 MTS touring, the white one.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2017, 11:49 am

I have both a 14 multi, and a 15 FJR. Stock screen on both. I would have to give the cold weather comfort nod to the fjr. More effective screen, more fairings. Option to tuck occasionally if you want, etc.

14 Multi S Touring, 06 Monster S2R1000, 15 Yama FJR1300 06 Suzuki DRZ400 (fs)
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2017, 1:58 pm

Garage
Agree with earlier posters... wind protection is good but does add helmet turbulence/noise, which drives some folks crazy. I ditched my modular and went with a solid Shoei and it helped with noise some... but I finally had to go with plugfones to really get noise to a suitably non-annoying level.

I think a spoiler on top of the stock windscreen would probably bring wind control to 'acceptable'... the stock screen either has my helmet fully exposed (which is quiet but with wind) or forehead up exposed (buffeting and noisy). I'm 5'10"

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2017, 5:10 pm

I had an FJR before I got the 13 Multi. The FJR was quite and very civilized. I liked the FJR a lot but I ride my Multi 4X as much as I did the FRJ. The Multi is very engaging and sportier than the FJR. The Multi weighs 150 pounds less than the FJR and it feels 200lbs lighter! The Multi has fair wind protection but it is noisy around the helmet area. With heated gear on I find them about the same for weather protection but the Multi is much more fun. The wind noise can be improved some what with different windscreens. I have found the Puig screen with the adjustable wing on top works best for me. I am 6 foot and the Multi fits me perfectly. I find the Multi a little bit more comfortable for touring than the FJR even with the wind noise.

13 MS S T, 05 Yam FJR, 03 FZ1, 98 Hon VFR, 82 Suz GS11, 80 GS11, 79 GS1000E, 77 GS750, 72 Kaw S2 350, & 68 Hon Trail 70
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2017, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Would say the noise would be any louder then a Diavel that does not have a windscreen?
Thanks for the input guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode