Silly key fob question - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2016, 7:15 am Thread Starter

Silly key fob question

This is probably one of the dumber questions I've asked but here goes:

Earlier this year my MTS (2013 PP) started giving me trouble with starting in that it kept requiring me to enter my PIN code. It eventually got to the point where it would only start by me using the PIN. Because my fuel gauge is on the fritz for past year, i thought this was a software issue. Yesterday, I went to take the bike out and the key was nowhere to be found but I was still able to start the bike with the PIN.

Here's the dumb part of my question. I thought that the key had to be within so many feet of the bike in order for it to start, so I thought my key must've fallen out in the garage. I spent an hour looking for it when the light bulb went off. I realized that I never need my key to start the bike as long as I use the PIN. Is that correct? I took the bike out and went for a 200 mile ride, all without the key fob. I brought the red key with me so I could fuel up.

Am I correct that you do not need the transponder key if you use the PIN?

Do I just take the red key to any dealer to get a new key? Do I need to bring the bike? What can I expect to pay for the key fob (I've seen various prices from $87 to $168 on this forum.

I'm assuming now that the reason I had to use my PIN even when I had my key is that the battery in the key was probably dead, so it was like I had no key at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013 Multistrada 1200 Pike's Peak
2012 Streetfighter S, 2001 ST4, 1992 900 SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2016, 8:55 am

Garage
You don't need the key if you use the code. I think the red key is $80'ish to replace... For some reason i was thinking the fob was a LOT more... More like $1000 not $100.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2016, 11:06 am

Right after the first battery change on mine (2013), the fob started using a battery every two weeks. Dealer couldn't do anything but replace it. It cost me (I think) between $250 and $300 (Canadian) for a new one. That was for a new fob without the key!

Based on that you'll need to get a new key cut to fit the fob (probably has to be ordered through Ducati) and the fob (if it is FUBAR). I'd also check with the dealer to see if they need the bike when programming the fob ... wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Good luck - something that money will buy in this case.

2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200S

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2016, 8:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
You don't need the key if you use the code. I think the red key is $80'ish to replace... For some reason i was thinking the fob was a LOT more... More like $1000 not $100.
The red key requires proof of ownership/registration to get a replacement, though, doesn't it? That has to come from Italy probably, since the red key is basically your proof of ownership - I've always heard/read "never, ever, ever lose your red key".

And to OP: Yes the bike will start/run without the key using the PIN, it's meant to be that way if the batt dies / you lose your key if you're ever on a road trip somewhere and can't get a replacement. Wish they had thought of a PIN code (or using the actual KEY) for the electronic gas cap!!

------------------
2014 pikes peak
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2016, 1:47 pm

Garage
Question

I have a 15 Multi. Does the pin also work on my bike and where do I get the pin. I got a fob and a red key but no one said anything about a PIN number.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2016, 4:27 pm

Assuming that the bike was new to you, and that no previous owner set up a PIN already, the instructions are in the manual for how to choose and enter your own PIN.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2016, 7:19 pm

Garage
Thumbs up

The bike is new. I've had it 2 weeks. I will read the manual and set it up. Thanks. I thought it was like my car. They gave me the pin to open the doors.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2016, 3:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1200rtc View Post
The bike is new. I've had it 2 weeks. I will read the manual and set it up. Thanks. I thought it was like my car. They gave me the pin to open the doors.
I think the default is usually set to the last 4 digits of the PIN or is 0000 or 1234 or something, but yeah, you can set it yourself via the instruction manual. Did you dealer give you a delivery procedure where they went over the features, the dash options, settings, etc? They're supposed to cover that.

------------------
2014 pikes peak
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2016, 6:23 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1200rtc View Post
I have a 15 Multi. Does the pin also work on my bike and where do I get the pin. I got a fob and a red key but no one said anything about a PIN number.
The dealer SHOULD have walked you through setting the PIN when you picked up the bike.
Fultank likes this.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2016, 10:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy View Post
This is probably one of the dumber questions I've asked but here goes:

Earlier this year my MTS (2013 PP) started giving me trouble with starting in that it kept requiring me to enter my PIN code. It eventually got to the point where it would only start by me using the PIN. Because my fel gauge is on the fritz for past year, i thought this was a software issue. Yesterday, I went to take the bike out and the key was nowhere to be found but I was still able to start the bike with the PIN.

Here's the dumb part of my question. I thought that the key had to be within so many feet of the bike in order for it to start, so I thought my key must've fallen out in the garage. I spent an hour looking for it when the light bulb went off. I realized that I never need my key to start the bike as long as I use the PIN. Is that correct? I took the bike out and went for a 200 mile ride, all without the key fob. I brought the red key with me so I could fuel up.

Am I correct that you do not need the transponder key if you use the PIN?

Do I just take the red key to any dealer to get a new key? Do I need to bring the bike? What can I expect to pay for the key fob (I've seen various prices from $87 to $168 on this forum.

I'm assuming now that the reason I had to use my PIN even when I had my key is that the battery in the key was probably dead, so it was like I had no key at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A quicker way to start the bike with a dead battery or with the red key is...
Holding the red key or the black key with the dead battery on top of the dash and start up.
Entering the pin takes to long...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode