Hyper Lites, any MTS owners with them? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By hubilado
  • 1 Post By maxjett749
  • 1 Post By puchika

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2016, 7:34 pm Thread Starter

Hyper Lites, any MTS owners with them?

I've had my auxillary Hyper Lites modulating LED brake lights installed on my Yamaha FZ6 for almost a decade, over 100k miles of use and still going. I'm thinking of purchasing them for my Multi, have any of you installed them? I'm not questioning about the product, they are great Just wondering what the degree of difficulty would be tapping into the wiring braking system for the bike.

2014 Red MTS ST, 2006 Yamaha FZ6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2016, 9:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasrider View Post
I've had my auxillary Hyper Lites modulating LED brake lights installed on my Yamaha FZ6 for almost a decade, over 100k miles of use and still going. I'm thinking of purchasing them for my Multi, have any of you installed them? I'm not questioning about the product, they are great Just wondering what the degree of difficulty would be tapping into the wiring braking system for the bike.
SORRY, JUST IGNORE MY REPLY, SEEMS LIKE I HAVE SOME READING COMPREHENSION PROBLEMS ;-)

Don't have the Hyper Lites, but the Back-Off module, I guess they are all pretty much the same. Glued the box with double sided tape in the passenger seat compartment and drilled a hole into the the rear wall. Connected the wires to the tail light and works like a charm. Just took an hour or less, not difficult at all.

(
http://www.amazon.com/Signal-Dynamics-Brake-Light-Module/dp/B001F85OUM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 http://www.amazon.com/Signal-Dynamics-Brake-Light-Module/dp/B001F85OUM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51cwS2mOxwL.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	694289  

Last edited by alvitdk; Apr 11th, 2016 at 9:00 am.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2016, 8:24 am

Quote:
Take a look at this....
Vegasrider likes this.

j

2013 MTS GT

"If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work?" Steven Wright

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2016, 8:43 am

Garage
To access the brake light wires, remove the rear seat remove the 4 allen bolts. this allows the rear tail brake light assembly to be removed once you unplug the two cables.
The larger cable is the brake tail light wires.
I did this yesterday to install these little Leds didn't want the expense of Hyperlights which are a lot better I have them on my GS.
http://mondomotos.com/lighting/led/MMSB
Vegasrider likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2016, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubilado View Post
Another interesting option, the plug and play is a very attractive feature! But I'm wondering if my OEM stock signals would still work in conjunction with the Blaster X signals. I'm not looking to replace my OEM turn indicators.

What I love about the Hyper Lites is that they act as an additional running lights, in addition to adding two additional brake lights that modulate. The Blaster X or even the Back Off doesn't add anymore visibility.

For those who don't have the hazard features on the older MTS's, the Blaster X is your answer. The strobe feature is neat, but are they even legal?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2016, 10:28 pm

I have the blaster X, love it actually. Cheaper than stock and more functional. The strobe function is good for fog. The only thing is u need to get off to verify its OFF, b/c with it ON brake&turn signal don't work. Not a hazzard, just a PIA.

When in doubt, lean more...
02 SS750 Lovely first bike Red (sold)
02 St4s Rip 11/18/11 -- running now Matte Grey (sold)
03 St4s Restored from salvage Senna (sold)
10 Multi S 3yr and 55k mi Black
12 RSV4 F 15k mi
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2016, 8:14 am

Quote:
I use Hyperlites too and always feel a little better knowing they're adding additional brake lights for the cages behind me to see. I use it in combination with the Vizi-Tec SupaBrake-II which is a plug and play programable modulator. I worked with them to test it out on the 2015 came out because the connectors were different than the early gens (they support all years).

I tap the Hyperlites into the output of the SupbaBrake-II so that they modulate in sync with the main brake light. With the electronics these days, I dislike tapping directly into anything on the CANBUS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-12 06.59.07 (Copy).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	695201   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-12 06.58.46 (Copy).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	695209  
Vegasrider likes this.

2015 Multi 1200 S
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2016, 10:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdehkordi View Post
I have the blaster X, love it actually. Cheaper than stock and more functional. The strobe function is good for fog. The only thing is u need to get off to verify its OFF, b/c with it ON brake&turn signal don't work. Not a hazzard, just a PIA.
I would just like to view the Blaster X in person. I know, lots of videos out there. Maybe someone in my area on the local forum has one installed. I did call them today and they said if I want to utilize my stock signals instead of theirs, they instructed me not to plug in the turn signal. Simple enough, but if I wanted to use both, then it will require some slicing or tapping into some existing wires.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2016, 8:23 am

Quote:
Another interesting option, the plug and play is a very attractive feature! But I'm wondering if my OEM stock signals would still work in conjunction with the Blaster X signals. I'm not looking to replace my OEM turn indicators.

Yes, I did replace my OEM turn signals with some aftermarket ones, but yes one can keep the function of those lights, as well.

What I love about the Hyper Lites is that they act as an additional running lights, in addition to adding two additional brake lights that modulate. The Blaster X or even the Back Off doesn't add anymore visibility.

Yes / No....the Blaster tail light is brighter than OEM, but other than that no extra visibility. The STOP light however, is anther story; WOW. I've had MANY drivers pull way back when I hit the brakes.

For those who don't have the hazard features on the older MTS's, the Blaster X is your answer. The strobe feature is neat, but are they even legal?
I've asked myself that question a number of times; just "wondering what the outcome would be if an law enforcement officer were behind me when I applied the brakes". Well, it's happened several times now and no response. That doesn't mean they are legal, just didn't garner sufficient attention from "the man" to give me a second look. I "suspect" that if one were to advance a "defense" of the light (as in the case of discussing the strobe feature with a LEO), one could pretty safely make the case for motorcycle safety being at the forefront of the light. I think it would be a stretch for someone to presume a rider were attempting to imitate emergency vehicle lighting.

j

2013 MTS GT

"If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work?" Steven Wright
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2016, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubilado View Post
I've asked myself that question a number of times; just "wondering what the outcome would be if an law enforcement officer were behind me when I applied the brakes". Well, it's happened several times now and no response. That doesn't mean they are legal, just didn't garner sufficient attention from "the man" to give me a second look. I "suspect" that if one were to advance a "defense" of the light (as in the case of discussing the strobe feature with a LEO), one could pretty safely make the case for motorcycle safety being at the forefront of the light. I think it would be a stretch for someone to presume a rider were attempting to imitate emergency vehicle lighting.
In California, modulating brake lights are actually illegal. But I have never been cited for my Hyper Lites. If anyone is trying to imitate an emergency vehicle, a headlight modulator would be the device, and they are legal. Here in Nevada, motorcycles are allowed to have a single blue light incorporated into the tail light as long as it's no more than 1 inch in diameter. This would make your bike appear to be an emergency vehicle, having a blue light but it's legal for bikes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode