Multistrada 2015 and 2016 Owners - Feedback requested regarding major problems - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 78 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2016, 11:34 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I really can't understand all the whinging and whining at the new Multistrada. We have enormous resources for information from the Internet, published magazines and forums like this.
I am sorry that you view this as winging and whining. If this bothers you that much, why do you read the posts? This is a public forum. Are people not allowed to express their views and concerns? If you wanted to reply and you are happy with your 2015 1200S why did you not say so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
Anyone who is really picky about a product, should wait, review all the tests and then decide if this is the product they wish to spend their hard earned cash on.
Really? If the seller advertise a product and a customer buys the product, should the customer not expect a working product. I wish I had access to a thread like this before I made the purchase.
More than agree....
jamesster and VJhardcore like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 78 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2016, 12:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
I am sorry that you view this as winging and whining. If this bothers you that much, why do you read the posts? This is a public forum. Are people not allowed to express their views and concerns? If you wanted to reply and you are happy with your 2015 1200S why did you not say so?
You also say we have enormous resources for information from the Internet, published magazines and forums like this, but you have a problem if people publish their experiences and concerns on forums like this.

Really? If the seller advertise a product and a customer buys the product, should the customer not expect a working product. I wish I had access to a thread like this before I made the purchase.

If the advertised product meets the customer's needs and the customer starts using the physical product (after purchase) and it does not function properly, is the customer to blame for this?

I care. It says something if both bikes are advertised at 160hp and there is a 20hp between the two. However this is not the reason for the link to the video. Having another model on the machine shows that the readings are reasonably accurate and that owners are correct about their concerns as far as power delivery on the Multis are concerned. The question is, how can this be fixed? Or should we just live with it because the excuse is this is a small volume manufacturer?

Had multiple Japanese bikes - 4 of them 100% reliability. I do not believe these problems originate from the fact that they are a small volume manufacturer. Some of the bikes they produce are pretty near perfect. This proves they can do this. They have a problem with quality control.

I can say the same thing. However none of my vehicles ever required stripping the engine for major repair work. Especially after only a few months of ownership.

Assuming the bike was accident/abuse free and there was no negligence how is it acceptable that a crank goes at 7500 miles?

Every motorcycle forum for the last 10 years should have lots and lots of posts and threads about Ducati ownership experiences, problematic bike reports, nightmare lemon experiences, and overall dealer interaction details. Ducati bikes have gotten a whole lot better in the last 5-8 years, with longer service intervals, more reliable bikes, better dealer support, and quick response to persistent issues. That said, they're not without problems. My own 2014 is a year and half old and has been in and out of dealers for warranty/TSB issues about 5x now. I did my research before buying my 1st Multi back in 2011, and the owner experiences were all similar - great bikes, expect some problems.

Stick with Japanese bikes if you want to continue your 100% trouble-free experience - it's just a fact of life. The Ducatis are more tempermental but they're also very amazing to ride, and I have yet to ride a japanese bike that has the character and riding experience I get on my Multistrada - Yamaha's on the right track with the FJ09 and their triples, but the generic i4-bikes are not my cup of tea.

BMWs, KTMs, Aprilias, and Triumphs are no different. Expect some "character" issues if you're not buying Japanese bikes. If you don't like it, complain to your dealer, Ducati NA, and try to get some answers/results, but if it's absolutely unacceptable, sell the bike and move on. Life's too short to deal with a motorcycle you're not in love with.

------------------
2014 pikes peak
post #23 of 78 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2016, 12:39 pm Thread Starter

Guys, thank you for your comments. Can I please ask that we do not allow this thread to morph into something else. If you really want to discuss a spin off topic that you feel strongly about please start a new thread and assist in getting this thread back on track. Some of us including me do not have major problems with our bikes. Other owners like my wife does. The purpose of this thread is to gather information, identify potential fixes, get an idea of what lies ahead and provide potential owners with insight into Multistrada 2015/2016 ownership.

Please do not post here if you do not own a 2015/2016 Multi.

This thread is directed to all Multistrada 2015 & 2016 owners. . May I please request some honest feedback?

Please be so kind as to share the following information:

A.) For those who are happy with your bikes and who are lucky enough to have not experienced major issues:
1.) Please indicate how long have you had your 2015/2016 Multi and how many Miles or Kilometres you have done?

B.) For those who experienced major mechanical or operational problems/issues with their bikes. Would you please be so kind as to share the following information:
(The problems/issues I am referring to does not include those caused by accident or negligence.)

1.) What happened?
2.) Mileage and age of bike?
3.) What was the root cause?
4.) How was the problem resolved?
5.) Are you satisfied that the problem is now completely resolved? If not, what is your concern?
6.) How long were you without the bike and did it take them to resolve the problem?
7.) Were you offered a loan bike by your dealer?
8.) Did the bike break down on you while riding or did the problem occur when you started the bike?
9.) Did the bike leave you stranded?
Oaths and VJhardcore like this.

post #24 of 78 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2016, 2:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc View Post
Stick with Japanese bikes if you want to continue your 100% trouble-free experience - it's just a fact of life. The Ducatis are more tempermental but they're also very amazing to ride, and I have yet to ride a japanese bike that has the character and riding experience I get on my Multistrada - Yamaha's on the right track with the FJ09 and their triples, but the generic i4-bikes are not my cup of tea.
I'm not sure Japanese bikes should be used as a higher standard for reliability. How about last year's Yamaha R1 recall that required 16 hours of labor for a tranmission rebuild to fix. Also, last year Honda recalled 10 years worth of Goldwings for a chronic linked brake issue. On the European side, a couple years ago BMW issued a do not ride on the R1200RT where the rear suspension rod could snap while riding. That one was so bad BMW was offering to buy bikes back from owners.

I love my DVT and nothing's to say that there might not be a a more serious recall down the road, but the only recall we've had so far was for the side stand. A lot of us put up with a resetting odometer for a few months. For a redesigned bike, the new Multi has been pretty solid with no serious systemic engineering design failures.

For me the power delivery issue doesn't bother me, but I could see that as a reason for people being upset.

2015 Multi 1200 S
post #25 of 78 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2016, 3:49 pm

Garage
I own a 2016 S Red! And the first complaint is that i have to wait 2 weeks to arrive!!!!!
Irgun109 likes this.
post #26 of 78 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2016, 4:55 pm

I have 2015 Multi S with about 6000 kms on it. No major issues. Had the staples come out of the seat, my wireless key stopped working and something weird happened to the display screen where there is kind of a wavy mung on it. All of it was dealt with by the dealer and nothing that would stop me in my tracks or take me off the road. The key issue was annoying but I could start the bike by holding it close to the sensor or by punching in the pin so it was just an annoyance. I love riding the bike and it is the best bike I have owned in 47 years of riding.

On an unrelated issue my 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650 has been recalled to replace the cams. Apparently the cams for the 2013 and 2014 models are improperly manufactured and may fail. The only point to the anecdote (if there even is one) is that nothing is perfect and anything can fail. But I do get your point about living in SA and needing to reduce the risk of failure as much as possible. I am fortunate and don't have those issues so can be more detached about such things.

Personally I feel that with the bean counters making engineering decisions and with the complexity of the new vehicles issues have to be expected. Just my two cents.
post #27 of 78 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2016, 2:02 am

2015 (2016 model year) DVT S

uses oil
seat replaced
main power switch replaced, could not power up or down the bike.
cruise control not switching off on closed throttle.
brake discs warped...replaced twice. (never had a warped brake disc on a bike in more than 20 years. i have over 10,000 miles on original tires, so that gives an idea of how i ride)
main display changing and re setting on its own
pin entry not working, needs replacing.

other than that, its been fine.

in my last 20 years of riding, the only issues i have had on my japanese and american bike was one blown fuse (apart from wear and tear)
ampj8 and VJhardcore like this.

Last edited by johnsosn; Mar 10th, 2016 at 2:02 am. Reason: spelling
post #28 of 78 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2016, 2:14 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPrendas View Post
I own a 2016 S Red! And the first complaint is that i have to wait 2 weeks to arrive!!!!!
Just a recommendation for your new bike, check the manual for the running in instructions. There are very specific requirements. I have learned over the years that the sales people sometimes lack the required knowledge. When we purchased the two 2015 Multis, we were told by the salesman that we need to keep the revs below 7500 rpm for the first 1000 KM. The first thing I did when we got home with the bikes was to check if there are specific manufacturer requirements in the manual. And indeed there was. Here is what Ducati recommends for the 2015 1200S:

Maximum rotation speed
Rotation speed for running-in period and during standard use (rpm):
1) up to 1,000 km;
2) from 1,000 to 2,500 km.
Up to 1,000 km
During the first 1000 km, keep an eye on the rev counter. It should never exceed: 5,5006,000 rpm. During the first hours of riding, it is advisable to run the engine at varying load and rpm, though still within recommended limit. To this end, roads with plenty of bends and even slightly hilly areas are ideal for a most efficient running-in of engine, brakes and suspensions. For the first 100 km use the brakes gently. Avoid sudden or prolonged braking. This will allow the friction material on the brake pads to bed in against the brake discs.

For all mechanical parts of the motorcycle to adapt to one another and above all not to adversely affect the life of basic engine parts, it is advisable to avoid harsh accelerations and not to run the engine at high rpm for too long, especially uphill. Furthermore, the drive chain should be inspected frequently. Lubricate as required.

From 1,000 to 2,500 km
At this point, you can squeeze some more power out of your engine. However never exceed 7,000 rpm.
Important: During the whole running-in period, the maintenance and service rules recommended in the Warranty Card should be observed carefully. Failure to follow these instructions releases Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A. from any liability whatsoever for any engine damage or shorter engine life.
Strict observance of running-in recommendations will ensure longer engine life and reduce the likelihood of overhauls and tune-ups.
post #29 of 78 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2016, 2:29 am

Garage
Russian proverb say: "Every sandpiper praises its swamp".
Sure, it is not easy to confess when you bought something like DVT
Really, guys, better I'll wait for restyling
Or pay attention on the new Africa with automatic gearbox... Speed, you can say? No one wasted day in a season, I answer!

There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who don't.
post #30 of 78 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2016, 2:58 am
OAD

July 2015 Multi S with 11K miles as of March 2016. Saddle stiches, side stand and fueling issue recalls all performed. Otherwise, it has been rock solid, while 131 HP still feel a lot faster than my previous GS 1200. Within reason, I am prepared to deal with some issues in exchange for personality and refinement.

2011 BMW R1200R 2012 sold BMW K1600GT sold
2013 BMW GS 1200 ADV OC sold -2015 MS 1200S Enduro, Touring pack and Termi slip-on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode