Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/)
-   Multistrada (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/)
-   -   Deer vs. my Multi the other day (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/551161-deer-vs-my-multi-other-day.html)

Bonaventure Dec 6th, 2015 10:26 am

Deer vs. my Multi the other day

Low speed fortunately probably 20mph or so and a small doe. I emerged unscathed, wasn't a terribly hard hit and a glancing one at that, was able to ride it out and pull over, park it roadside on the side stand with no issues. But I did litter the roadway with plastic faring parts. Nothing leaking. Here's what I can see so far:

- Front fender completely sheared in half, back half and mudguard barely attached, all sensor cords and brake lines look okay
- Lower fork fairings: rightside completely torn off, left side broke in half near top
- Intake beak slightly displaced where it comes together, the center seam.
- Oil cooler loose in mounting, hoses okay
- Radiator some minor scuff with micro denting at top left, all hoses okay, radiator maybe off level slightly but looks okay otherwise
- Lower painted (boomerang shaped) radiator and wind fairing on left side torn clean off
- MAP sensor for horizontal cylinder broke off at nipple (hose off broken nipple in hose end)
- Tail tidy (OEM) that holds license plate and turn signals torn clean off just below tail light.
- Left side pillion's footpeg is loose and rattles around in housing, can't figure out why as the peg/pannier strut assembly looks unbent/undamaged.

She was small and she darted low, I hit her around her head/neck/shoulders frontal area causing her right flanks to come around and rake down the left side of bike. Hit my leg but no damage (wearing overpants w/ knee armor). Cannot figure out how she took off the tail section from tail light back, although I might have spun her enough that her ass hit it. Headlights and above untouched. She went under the beak, no apparent evidence of a strike to the front tip of the beak.

After a few minutes laying stunned on the ground by a mailbox post she got up and hauled ass.

My initial feeling was of course goddammit my bike. But I consider myself lucky in the sense that I stayed up and was able to pull over and park normally.

thelumox Dec 6th, 2015 10:59 am

That sucks! Good to hear that you are not injured.

DuckMan Dec 6th, 2015 11:09 am

That sounds like a pretty hard hit from the damages. You were very lucky to stay up. Glad to hear it turned out that way.

It's that time of year to really watch for those suckers.

Pampero Dec 6th, 2015 1:01 pm

Very glad you're OK. Deer hits don't often work out very well, this one sounds OK (enough).

Chuckracer Dec 6th, 2015 1:58 pm

Wow!! :eek: Go Buy Lottery Tickets!

Glad you're ok. That's a lot of damage, but they are surprisingly solid, aren't they? Amazing...what a great outcome!

complexCarlo Dec 6th, 2015 2:36 pm

Way to walk it off but damn this blows! Lets see some pictures of the damage. Also, what is insurance doing about it? Good luck!

Shazaam Dec 6th, 2015 2:59 pm

Check your insurance policy. In California, and perhaps other States there's no insurance penalty for animal collisions.

So, if you crash (not collide with another vehicle) for any reason, tell the police and your insurance company that you tried to avoid/or hit an animal in the road. Called "dodging the squirrel."

Yorik Dec 6th, 2015 3:58 pm

101 Attachment(s)
I had this happen to me, too. I was a little more lucky in that I had no damage other than a bent pannier bracket which I was able to fix easily.

Deer suck. Just thank your fairy godmother that it wasn't a buck. I just saw a massive 8-10 pointer the other week. Now that would cause some serious damage.

SDRider Dec 6th, 2015 4:01 pm

Unfortunately, that is going to be thousands of dollars to repair. Still, I don't think it will be a write off unless there is more damage you haven't seen. Keep us updated.

dadridesagain Dec 6th, 2015 4:29 pm

593 Attachment(s)
Glad you're OK Bonaventure, strong riding keeping it under control. I had a deer hit the rear quarterpanel of my car in college and similarly it got up and bounded off after being briefly stunned.

Yeah sounds like several thousand in plastic, can't imagine your insurance won't cover it.