Deer vs. my Multi the other day - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2015, 8:51 am

Luck are You...

Lucky indeed you are Bonaventure. I have some experience in this area; have hit two deer while riding and one experience was quite similar to yours. I think of it like the old airplane adage; any landing you're able to walk away from was a good one. In my case, one of the collisions resulted in some fairly serious injuries; concussion, broken bones and internal injuries, the other I rode out just as you did. Both of mine were at a bit more speed and that along with a perfect T-bone in the one case resulted in me getting hurt. The other, I was actually going a lot faster (sporty Sunday am ride on the RC51), but hit the doe at an angle (she turned slightly at the last minute) causing fairly major bike damage, but I didn't go down and didn't really get hurt. Reflecting on these incidents always results in me slowing down especially near dawn or dusk when riding in areas where these creatures live. Glad you're OK.

j

2013 MTS GT

"If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work?" Steven Wright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2015, 9:30 am

Glad you are okay, my brother in law just hit a deer driving to work in the morning in his volvo - it broke many things including his spirit. He now takes a detour, which avoids hills where deer may live.

a question to you, so what options do you have for replacing the fairings? are you gonna buy the factory replacements, or go with all carbon.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2015, 10:05 am

Sorry to hear. That sucks.

2012 Arctic White Multistrada 1200S Touring Model

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2015, 11:39 am Thread Starter

Main concern is to make sure that the forks are okay which I will have them professionally inspected.... no visible leaks.

Will go with OEM plastic, not looking to do carbon upgrades at this point. Really like the original look of the bike.

Still scratching my head why the left rear pillion foot peg is loose, I guess she whacked it too and screwed up something in the hinge

2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX | 2016 Multistrada S (totaled) | 2013 Multistrada S Touring (sold)
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2015, 3:52 pm

There's a ball bearing and a spring inside the passenger foot peg assembly. I'm guessing one or both went flying.

2012 Arctic White Multistrada 1200S Touring Model
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2015, 4:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonaventure View Post
Low speed fortunately probably 20mph or so and a small doe. I emerged unscathed, wasn't a terribly hard hit and a glancing one at that, was able to ride it out and pull over, park it roadside on the side stand with no issues. But I did litter the roadway with plastic faring parts. Nothing leaking. Here's what I can see so far:

- Front fender completely sheared in half, back half and mudguard barely attached, all sensor cords and brake lines look okay
- Lower fork fairings: rightside completely torn off, left side broke in half near top
- Intake beak slightly displaced where it comes together, the center seam.
- Oil cooler loose in mounting, hoses okay
- Radiator some minor scuff with micro denting at top left, all hoses okay, radiator maybe off level slightly but looks okay otherwise
- Lower painted (boomerang shaped) radiator and wind fairing on left side torn clean off
- MAP sensor for horizontal cylinder broke off at nipple (hose off broken nipple in hose end)
- Tail tidy (OEM) that holds license plate and turn signals torn clean off just below tail light.
- Left side pillion's footpeg is loose and rattles around in housing, can't figure out why as the peg/pannier strut assembly looks unbent/undamaged.

She was small and she darted low, I hit her around her head/neck/shoulders frontal area causing her right flanks to come around and rake down the left side of bike. Hit my leg but no damage (wearing overpants w/ knee armor). Cannot figure out how she took off the tail section from tail light back, although I might have spun her enough that her ass hit it. Headlights and above untouched. She went under the beak, no apparent evidence of a strike to the front tip of the beak.

After a few minutes laying stunned on the ground by a mailbox post she got up and hauled ass.

My initial feeling was of course goddammit my bike. But I consider myself lucky in the sense that I stayed up and was able to pull over and park normally.
Glad you're ok. I just saw you location, Deer central up there.

My dad and I tagged a deer at the east end of Effingham IL, 3 years ago headed to Motogp and Indy, ruined our day, No refund on the tickets either.

2011 1198
2012 MTS 1200 ABS
Past Bikes, 1985 RZ-350, 1988 FZR400, 1994 CBR-F2(RACE), 1998 TL-S, 2001 R6, 2002 CBR 954, 1999 R6(RACE), 2004 CBR 1000RR, 2005 R1, 2008 CBR 1000RR, 2005 ST3
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2015, 9:32 pm

Glad you're okay. Forest Rats, what are they good for? - jerky is about all...

2014 Pikes Peak
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2015, 6:54 am Thread Starter

Coolant drip

Nickel sized drip of coolant on the floor, dripped off the two vent hose ends that exit out of the left side bash plate. Took a closer look, probably going to need a new oil cooler and new radiator in add'n to the plastic stuff. Radiator got pushed back enough such that the cowls for the two electric cooling fans are jammed up against backside of it.

2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX | 2016 Multistrada S (totaled) | 2013 Multistrada S Touring (sold)
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2015, 1:44 pm

Scary stuff.

I had a wolf run out into the road while on a "spirited" drive with the Lambo's. It was huge too! I would've hated to hit it with my bumper!

Again, we're all glad you are ok and thanks for sharing, it helps keep us on our toes...eeerr foot pegs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotRoad? View Post
Glad you're OK. This fawn cost me >$1200. Glancing blow which tore off the rt side hard bag & cracked the plastic under the tail piece.
Dude, you killed Bambi???!!!!

2014 Multistroodle GT Rosso
2013 KTM 450 XCW Arancione
2008 1098s Rosso
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2016, 9:10 pm Thread Starter

Question 2013 Multi: What cost to choose salvage value instead of repair expense ?

So my multi is at the dealer for extensive repair after the deer strike. 21,500 miles. What is the figure likely to be that will make taking a salvage buyout and getting something else the better economics vs repair and keep? Not saying the something else would be a multi. Might be a BMW. Depending on deals...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode