attaching GPS power to 2015/2016 multistrada and multistrada enduro - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2015, 7:43 pm Thread Starter

Garage
attaching GPS power to 2015/2016 multistrada and multistrada enduro

Hey. Got a 2016 Multistrada 1200S. Have a navihalter, Garmin Montana GPS, Garmin power cradle. My question is in regards to wiring the power cradle to a "keyed" circuit. Was planning to use a "tap a fuse" to attach directly to a "keyed" fuse so the GPS would power off when the ignition is off. Is this the best way to do this? If so, which fuse do you guys recommend using? Thanks for any help. Don't want to "short out" my bike or catch it on fire. I have read that there is a GPS power connector already attached to bike, but how to attach the garmin power cradle wiring to it?

2016 Monster 1200 R
aka "Hot Donna"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2015, 10:13 pm

There is a power plug for the GPS, about half way down the left fork tunnel, tucked into the tank area. You should find a couple of connectors with a blank, black plastic plug. There are two down there, one is for the electronic gas cap and the other for the GPS.

'15 Ducati Panigale 1299S, '15 White Ducati Multistrada S (Vin #1000), '12 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC, '08 KTM 300XCW, '07 Ducati 1098s, '98 Yamaha R1, '93 Bimota DB2, '76 Honda CB400F
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2015, 6:49 am

Garage
I've had mine powered off the battery for a while... thought I'd give it a try and pulling the wires through to under the seat was the easiest way of managing them (I didn't want a wad of wires in the fork tunnel). Now that I've had it this way for a while I'm going to move it over to the switched connection and see how that goes, I thought I might like having it powered to allow it to charge even with the bike off... but I never do that (always shut it off when I'm done riding).

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2015, 9:14 am

Mine's actually powered off the rear powerlet socket under the passenger seat. I ran the wires down the right side and the bulk of the wires are zip tied to the frame under the right side panel, plenty of room there.

Now I've just got a small fuse block, I've got to figure out where to mount that, most likely under the rider seat, so I can get the Garmin hard wired.

The powerlet plug works okay, but the male part does vibrate out a little and become disconnected. It may be the tool kit bumping it over road irregularities.

'15 Ducati Panigale 1299S, '15 White Ducati Multistrada S (Vin #1000), '12 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC, '08 KTM 300XCW, '07 Ducati 1098s, '98 Yamaha R1, '93 Bimota DB2, '76 Honda CB400F
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2015, 9:21 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
There is a power plug for the GPS, about half way down the left fork tunnel, tucked into the tank area. You should find a couple of connectors with a blank, black plastic plug. There are two down there, one is for the electronic gas cap and the other for the GPS.
Not to hijack the thread, but electronic gas cap? What kind of electronic wizardry is in the gas cap?
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2015, 10:09 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiget View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but electronic gas cap? What kind of electronic wizardry is in the gas cap?
Unlocks the gas cap for 30 or 60 seconds when the bike shuts off to allow you to fuel the bike without having to get out the key.

I'd love to have it but it's pretty expensive for such a simple gizmo.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2015, 10:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiget View Post
As Dave stated, it's a $300 (expensive) option, takes about 20 minutes to install. But I love the convenience of not having to dig out the key when I stop for gas.

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2015, 12:28 pm

As long as it doesn't fail. Unfortunately, there's no key back-up. Otherwise, I'd probably spring for one myself.

Mike Santa Barbara, CA / Whidbey Island, WA
'15 MTS-S Touring, 99 Ducati 996, '07 BMW R1200S
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2015, 5:02 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by md1day View Post
Hey. Got a 2016 Multistrada 1200S. Have a navihalter, Garmin Montana GPS, Garmin power cradle. My question is in regards to wiring the power cradle to a "keyed" circuit. Was planning to use a "tap a fuse" to attach directly to a "keyed" fuse so the GPS would power off when the ignition is off. Is this the best way to do this? If so, which fuse do you guys recommend using? Thanks for any help. Don't want to "short out" my bike or catch it on fire. I have read that there is a GPS power connector already attached to bike, but how to attach the garmin power cradle wiring to it?
If you are planning on using the Montana for offroad navigation, which is what it's designed for, I would advise against using the Navihalter mount. With it adjusted to an angle suitable for 'in the saddle' navigation you can't see anything while standing on the pegs since the gps is at such an angle. I've resorted to using a ram mount on the bars to run my Delorme pn60 in an almost horizontal position; the viewing angle of the screen is enough that I can see while seated. There's usually tree cover where I go off pavement, so glare isn't an issue for me. You might be able to adjust the Navihalter almost horizontal, but it won't be useful while seated and adjusting the mount requires tools.

I also replaced the +12v DIN socket with a 3BR Powersports weather proof USB Panel Tapp. It would have been nice to have dual USB charging ports, but it works great. When used in conjunction with their Tapp Cap and red band cables provides a weather and vibration resistant connection to the charger that puts the devices in fast charge mode (no problems with garmins going into pc transfer mode)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Multistrada Navi Setup.jpg
Views:	6473
Size:	663.5 KB
ID:	621745  

2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring

Last edited by engineered2win; Oct 12th, 2015 at 5:11 pm.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2015, 6:57 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks engineered2win. I use my Montana on my dirt bike with a RAM mount and didn't want to buy another motorcycle specific GPS for my Multistrada. Not planning on doing any offroad with multistrada except maybe an occasional dirt road. Thanks for the "heads up" with the navi halter if that changes. I just prefer my GPS mounted above the dash on a street bike. My garmin power cradle has a bare red wire and black wire for power. No USB wire like on Nuvi and such. Wanting to connect red wire to a switched fuse under seat unless somebody has a better way.

2016 Monster 1200 R
aka "Hot Donna"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode