Heidenau Scout K60 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 9:52 am Thread Starter

Heidenau Scout K60

Hey all,

After 2 seasons running on paved mountain twisties and some light dirt roads I am convinced I'm keeping this dream bike long term, but I've also decided to armor her up and start doing some of the great rocky mountain passes.

After much research I want to put on the Heidenau Scout K60's.

Does anyone run these on their MS?

Cheers,
Don

2013 Multistrada

Pilot/Mechanic.
Aircraft builder.
Life long Motorcycle Mech/Rider of Metrics to Harleys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 12:58 pm

Have you confirmed that they make the K60 in a size to fit the Multi? I had a pair on my 2012 Super Tenere. They worked well on firm dirt and gravel. Other riders reported that they didn't do so well in mud or sand but few tires do. At low speeds on pavement the K60s are jittery. I noticed the vibration only when coming to a stop. Some people reported poor grip on wet pavement. Tenere riders have reported exceptional mileage (10,000) from these tires. With only a few thousand miles, I picked up a nail in the rear and was planning a long pavement trip so I replaced the K60s with a more pavement oriented tire. When I sold the Tenere I handed the K60s to the new owner.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 2:09 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.
I change my own tires so I'll keep my Pilot Road 4's handy. I won't be doing mud...just gravel and rubble on the mountain passes. I checked and they do fit almost exactly with slightly narrower profile which is actually better for riding more challenging stuff.

2013 Multistrada

Pilot/Mechanic.
Aircraft builder.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 2:40 pm
Super Moderator

Garage
No kidding - they make 110 and 120/70 - 17 fronts and all the rear 17 sizes up to 190.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 4:59 pm

Why not go with a set of Continental TKC80s?

899 Panigale | '12 MTS 1200 Pikes Peak #26 | '15 Hypermotard SP | '16 Tuono Factory // Past: K6 GSX-R, '08 MTS 1100 S, SF 848, '76 KZ900, '07 Speed Triple, CBR 929rr, '99 CBR F4
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 6:00 pm

The TKC 80s are known to be a very dirt worthy tire but they have a very short life on pavement. Th Tenere guys say about 2,000 miles.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 11:13 pm

Garage
Had them on my vstrom 1000. Good all round tire for gravel and highway. Not so good on wet pavement. Switched them out at 15000 km on a trip as the weather forecast was calling for rain and I had 3000 km to do in the next 3 days. I was in northern Ontario so could not replace them in kind so put on Michelin anakee 3's and really like them. Be careful with the k60's in wet weather especially when trying to pass and crossing the painted lines.

Wayne
2015 Multistrada 1200S
2014 V Strom 1000
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2015, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

Heidenau and TKC 80's

To report back on change over...

Hey Bobcat Sig...

So it turns out that Heidenau does not make a fit for the front of the Multi, but checking with the local GS, KTM Colorado pass riders and many are putting the Heidenau on the back and the more aggressive TKC 80 on the front, which is what I did. The Heidenau 170/60/17 is almost identical in size to the Multi stock 190/55/17. Search for tire calculator on web to see the comparisons.

The result of the change over on the 4-wheel drive trails was amazing. The Multi feels like a capable dirt horse except for deep sand where the small front tire will bite you if not careful.

Since I do my own tire/balance work I was not as concerned with being stuck with a long term choice as I'll mount up the Mich Pilot Roads for longer road trips and keep the Heidenau set-up for riding the high mountain Colorado passes and local mountain dirt trails close by our home.

You do give up significant handling in the corners with TKC on the front so welcome to the big trade-off.

Another heads up...if you thought about doing your own tire work...do it. Many great websites/youtube etc to get you going. You'll make your money back in tools after a couple of changes. One of the makers of tools insisted on getting "Tire Paste" for the work and I gotta say that that one "tool" is worth it's weight in gold. Discount Tire gave me a bucket of it for free!

2013 Multistrada

Pilot/Mechanic.
Aircraft builder.

Last edited by FreeRiders; Sep 7th, 2015 at 10:15 am.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2015, 10:08 am
Syd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRiders View Post

The Heidenau 170/60/17 is almost identical in size to the Multi stock 190/55/17.
Very happy to hear they are now making this size.
So it was a success to fit the 170 Heindenau on our stock rear rim ?
I have used plenty of 180/55 (Pirelli MT60 for instance) on the Multi but was unsure about a 170.

Syd
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2015, 12:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRiders View Post

Hey Bobcat Sig...

So it turns out that Heidenau does not make a fit for the front of the Multi, but checking with the local GS, KTM Colorado pass riders and many are putting the Heidenau on the back and the more aggressive TKC 80 on the front, which is what I did. The Heidenau 170/60/17 is almost identical in size to the Multi stock 190/55/17. Search for tire calculator on web to see the comparisons.

The result of the change over on the 4-wheel drive trails was amazing. The Multi feels like a capable dirt horse except for deep sand where the small front tire will bite you if not careful.

Since I do my own tire/balance work I was not as concerned with being stuck with a long term choice as I'll mount up the Mich Pilot Roads for longer road trips and keep the Heidenau set-up for riding the high mountain Colorado passes and local mountain dirt trails close by our home.

You do give up significant handling in the corners with TKC on the front so welcome to the big trade-off.

Another heads up...if you thought about doing your own tire work...do it. Many great websites/youtube etc to get you going. You'll make your money back in tools after a couple of changes. One of the makers of tools insisted on getting "Tire Paste" for the work and I gotta say that that one "tool" is worth it's weight in gold. Discount Tire gave me a bucket of it for free!
Interesting. Good to know that they work.

I'm likely to try the TKC 80s before anything else as I don't have my own tire change gear, yet. Most shops don't typically mount non-standard sizes.

899 Panigale | '12 MTS 1200 Pikes Peak #26 | '15 Hypermotard SP | '16 Tuono Factory // Past: K6 GSX-R, '08 MTS 1100 S, SF 848, '76 KZ900, '07 Speed Triple, CBR 929rr, '99 CBR F4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode