Heidenau Scout K60 - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2015, 3:03 pm

FreeRiders

Be extermely careful of that center "bar" on the small-sized Scouts for the rear. You get that thing on a log or wet rock and it will zip right out from under you (not that you're likely riding your Multi on logs or wet rocks). Having had the Conti TCK-70s on my KTM 1190, also sporting the central bar of rubber to help reduce street wear, I would never buy another dirt-friendly tire with that design again.

IMO, the TKC-80 more than makes up for its lack of treadlife in its sheer grip and the confidence it provides off-road. Not a bad grip on the tarmac either, considering its design! But that speed rating...

Glad you're enjoying the K60 thus far. Keep us posted.

Best,

Zolo
Bobcat Sig likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd View Post
Very happy to hear they are now making this size.
So it was a success to fit the 170 Heindenau on our stock rear rim ?
I have used plenty of 180/55 (Pirelli MT60 for instance) on the Multi but was unsure about a 170.

Syd
They mounted up great and yes the profile is very close to the stock dimensions.
I did use a ratchet strap around the circumference of the rear tire to pull the bead up for it to seal. The Heidenau's have a crazy stiff side wall! Lots of home techniques for sealing the bead to the rim...see youtube...

Two techniques used by home mechs is the strap method or the starter fluid or lighter fluid method. For me fluids don't work above 5,000' due to lack of O2 to get the rapid expansion needed to seal.

Cheers
dp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1559.jpeg
Views:	632
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	613969   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1557.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	613977  
cwelkie likes this.

2013 Multistrada

Pilot/Mechanic.
Aircraft builder.
Life long Motorcycle Mech/Rider of Metrics to Harleys
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolo View Post
FreeRiders

Be extermely careful of that center "bar" on the small-sized Scouts for the rear. You get that thing on a log or wet rock and it will zip right out from under you (not that you're likely riding your Multi on logs or wet rocks). Having had the Conti TCK-70s on my KTM 1190, also sporting the central bar of rubber to help reduce street wear, I would never buy another dirt-friendly tire with that design again.

IMO, the TKC-80 more than makes up for its lack of treadlife in its sheer grip and the confidence it provides off-road. Not a bad grip on the tarmac either, considering its design! But that speed rating...

Glad you're enjoying the K60 thus far. Keep us posted.

Best,

Zolo
Great great point Zolo,

Consideration for your local terra firma is very important! We ride off road in very dry dirt and rocks in the mountains with an occasional stream crossing so the Heidi's work great. If I was riding in areas of any wetness I'd go with a softer tire for sure.

Good info for those making tire choices.

don

2013 Multistrada

Pilot/Mechanic.
Aircraft builder.
Life long Motorcycle Mech/Rider of Metrics to Harleys

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Garage
Digging up that thread.

How did the K60 performed ?

I jsut bought a set of extra rims to put offroad tires on it. Was looking as well for the K60 on the back and TKC80 on the front

2016 MTS 1200s
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2019, 3:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRiders View Post
The result of the change over on the 4-wheel drive trails was amazing. The Multi feels like a capable dirt horse except for deep sand where the small front tire will bite you if not careful.
I put TKC-80's on my MTS a couple of months ago, I bought a second set of rims for the knobbies so I can switch back and forth with my PR4's. Totally agree about dirt-worthiness, this bike is HEAVY for a dirt bike (especially at first and when full of fuel) but can be a lot of fun... I ride with KLR's and KTM Adventures and although I'm a lot more cautious than those guys I chalk at least some of it up to experience. I'm getting faster and more confident and have negotiated some fairly gnarly terrain.

Also agree with comments about SAND. The Multi is still squirrelly as hell on sand, that 17" rim is never going to cut it and 120 is pretty wide tire so... avoid, go slow, both feet down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRiders View Post
You do give up significant handling in the corners with TKC on the front so welcome to the big trade-off.
Huh, I am not finding this. I have been surprised, stunned actually, at how GOOD the handling is in corners. I was totally ready for a mushy-feeling front that is progressively harder to turn in or hold a line as speed and lean angle increase, but I am not seeing it. I'd say I can do at least 75% of what I can do on the street tires on the TKC's, at least while they're brand spankin' new. I'd never push them to high-speed leans like I would the street tires, but overall day-to-day dry street riding is way way way better than I anticipated. We'll see about tire life, I've had them on for awhile, maybe 1500km or so but they're so good in the dirt that's where I've been doing my long rides.

On the rear I don't really have anything to compare to, but I'll say that this bike on these tires is not what I'd choose for hillclimbs. Heavy bike, hugely fat tires for dirt and a sh#tload of power make for poor traction on loose scrabbly climbs. The rear like to dig itself in.

Out of curiosity, what are you running for tire pressure on the TKC's. I dropped mine down 5psi front & rear from recommended, so like 28 and 34 or something like that. The guys at the (mostly dirt) shop I got them mounted at recommended 25psi. If you're running that range of low pressure you will have much worse handling in turns for sure.

Somebody said in another post that these tires really bring out the Multi's capabilities and I think this is true: I can ride the twisties fast to the trailhead and have a ton of fun on the dirt. I only wish that it wasn't damned near impossible to put a 19" wheel on the front.

I put a belly pan protector on mine from strada adventurosa, highly recommend.
efixe likes this.

'09 Multistrada 1100s

Last edited by dspear99ca; Aug 9th, 2019 at 3:22 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode