New C version fuel sensor having issues after 4 months - Page 50 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #491 of 500 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2019, 6:56 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Bandit View Post
From day one on my brand new 2016 MTS 1200S (which was just uncrated this year) I had fuel sensor issues. I'd be riding along with 3/4 of a tank, then all the sudden the low fuel indicator is on and the fuel level is flashing empty. This went on almost daily all the way up to my first service (at around 800 miles). I informed them about the fuel sensor issue when I set up the service appointment, and they said they'd check it out. When I went to pick my bike up after the service was completed, the tech said he ran a diagnostic on the sensor and he said "there's definitely a short in it". So they ordered a replacement under warranty.
Here's the thing, I haven't had a single issue with it since they ran the diagnostic on it. The old unit has functioned flawlessly for approximately 1300 miles now, which has probably seen around 6-7 tank fill ups and almost daily riding. When they called to let me know the new sensor came in and schedule the appointment I told them it hasn't hiccuped a single time since. So they said they'll just put it on the shelf in case I ever need it. Fingers crossed.
If they are using the same designed in parts in the 2016, then you will likely have the go through pains of GEN-1&2, its a design flaw!

Diavel or Monster?---TBD
x- 2009 RED 1198s
x- 2008 YELLOW 1098
x- 2005 YELLOW 749
x- 2004 BLUE TRIUMPH SpeedMaster
x- 2001 YELLOW 748
x- 2000 YELLOW SuperSport 750
x -1989 WHITE KTM 250
enrico is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #492 of 500 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 7:11 am
Member
 
DMP_MTS1200T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Metrowest, MA, USA
Posts: 47
Garage
I've been ignoring this thread hoping that I would not have to deal with this issue. Now 2 years in and 10,000+ miles I had my first issue yesterday. Multiple times, the fuel gauge would stop reading and the entire fuel gauge would be alternating flashing with the low fuel light.

I did a thorough wash and clean of the bike the day before, so I am wondering if this could be an electrical issue vs. a failing fuel sensor.

Is this the symptom of a failing fuel sensor?

Thanks,
Dave

2016 Multistrada 1200 Touring
Blog: https://twowheeljunkie.wordpress.com/
DMP_MTS1200T is offline  
post #493 of 500 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 8:26 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMP_MTS1200T View Post
I've been ignoring this thread hoping that I would not have to deal with this issue. Now 2 years in and 10,000+ miles I had my first issue yesterday. Multiple times, the fuel gauge would stop reading and the entire fuel gauge would be alternating flashing with the low fuel light.

I did a thorough wash and clean of the bike the day before, so I am wondering if this could be an electrical issue vs. a failing fuel sensor.

Is this the symptom of a failing fuel sensor?

Thanks,
Dave
Sorry partner, you just caught the sensor bug. Welcome to the club, the prescription is you either get it replaced pending your warranty status of use a bypass connector like the guy above did.

Diavel or Monster?---TBD
x- 2009 RED 1198s
x- 2008 YELLOW 1098
x- 2005 YELLOW 749
x- 2004 BLUE TRIUMPH SpeedMaster
x- 2001 YELLOW 748
x- 2000 YELLOW SuperSport 750
x -1989 WHITE KTM 250
enrico is offline  
 
post #494 of 500 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 9:10 am
Member
 
DMP_MTS1200T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Metrowest, MA, USA
Posts: 47
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrico View Post
Sorry partner, you just caught the sensor bug. Welcome to the club, the prescription is you either get it replaced pending your warranty status of use a bypass connector like the guy above did.
2 year warranty just ended in July... I bought the bike as a leftover in 2017.

2016 Multistrada 1200 Touring
Blog: https://twowheeljunkie.wordpress.com/
DMP_MTS1200T is offline  
post #495 of 500 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 9:55 am
Senior Member
 
DarR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Ontario, CANADA, ,
Posts: 631
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonaventure View Post
I'll tell you, the fuel sensor situation on this bike is wearing me out. In late November a new C version unit was installed. Last two fill-ups, it won't update right. Pull in for fuel @ 3 bars, fill up on side stand. Start back up, remains on 3 bars. Eventually climbs to show 1/2 tank but no higher and it takes about 15 minutes to get up to 1/2. Down to 3 bars again so filled yesterday again. Same thing only it took much longer to go up to just 1/2 tank and stay there. Shutting down and re-starting (just like Microsoft windows...) doesn't change it.

If this one fails out I think I want some way to disable the display of the error and just work off of the trip odometer. Its not a huge deal but I really don't like riding it around, especially at night, with the amber check engine light and fuel lights illuminated on the panel it looks stupid.
I'm not sure if this is related but I got an engine light following being rambunctious with the throttle on my Monster 1200R.
Here's the error as displayed on the Melcodiag software. My Ducati tech had no explanation.
Fortunately, the software was able to reset the error and clear the CE light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190731_174059.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	7.51 MB
ID:	951355  

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak All purpose fun
2016 Monster 1200 R Rambunctious fun
DarR is offline  
post #496 of 500 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2019, 9:27 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonaventure View Post
I'll tell you, the fuel sensor situation on this bike is wearing me out. In late November a new C version unit was installed. Last two fill-ups, it won't update right. Pull in for fuel @ 3 bars, fill up on side stand. Start back up, remains on 3 bars. Eventually climbs to show 1/2 tank but no higher and it takes about 15 minutes to get up to 1/2. Down to 3 bars again so filled yesterday again. Same thing only it took much longer to go up to just 1/2 tank and stay there. Shutting down and re-starting (just like Microsoft windows...) doesn't change it.

If this one fails out I think I want some way to disable the display of the error and just work off of the trip odometer. Its not a huge deal but I really don't like riding it around, especially at night, with the amber check engine light and fuel lights illuminated on the panel it looks stupid.
I'm not sure if this is related but I got an engine light following being rambunctious with the throttle on my Monster 1200R.
Here's the error as displayed on the Melcodiag software. My Ducati tech had no explanation.
Fortunately, the software was able to reset the error and clear the CE light.

Code C1012 reads "speed sensor" [Fiat]. What is that Fiat?

Diavel or Monster?---TBD
x- 2009 RED 1198s
x- 2008 YELLOW 1098
x- 2005 YELLOW 749
x- 2004 BLUE TRIUMPH SpeedMaster
x- 2001 YELLOW 748
x- 2000 YELLOW SuperSport 750
x -1989 WHITE KTM 250
enrico is offline  
post #497 of 500 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2019, 11:10 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
Posts: 1,485
F - Fix

I - It

A - Again

T - Tony

2012 Arctic White Multistrada 1200S Touring Model
Damascus is offline  
post #498 of 500 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2019, 9:37 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
F - Fix

I - It

A - Again

T - Tony
Spot on!

Diavel or Monster?---TBD
x- 2009 RED 1198s
x- 2008 YELLOW 1098
x- 2005 YELLOW 749
x- 2004 BLUE TRIUMPH SpeedMaster
x- 2001 YELLOW 748
x- 2000 YELLOW SuperSport 750
x -1989 WHITE KTM 250
enrico is offline  
post #499 of 500 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2019, 10:11 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
Posts: 1,485
That FIAT joke is almost as old as ...

F - Fix

O - Or

R - Repair

D - Daily

Though I've had much better luck with my Ford vehicles than with my Italian ones.

2012 Arctic White Multistrada 1200S Touring Model
Damascus is offline  
post #500 of 500 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:26 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
F - Fix

O - Or

R - Repair

D - Daily
Found
On the
Road
Dead

Alan in Denver
2016 MTS1200ST , 2012 Goldwing ABS
PilotAlan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ducati just released new version of Fuel Level Sensor Bonaventure Multistrada 64 Jun 30th, 2018 9:25 am
Temperature sensor issues danrduc Sport Touring 1 Nov 14th, 2014 11:54 am
Fuel Leak at Fuel level sensor. Brooklyn Supersport 3 Aug 21st, 2011 2:46 pm
1198 fuel problem, long version Brett Superbikes 12 Jul 18th, 2011 8:41 am
clutch sensor issues papawheelie Sport Classic 0 Jun 12th, 2007 4:52 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome