New C version fuel sensor having issues after 4 months - Page 47 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #461 of 486 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2019, 10:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_bare View Post
If your 2012 had the original sensor then you will need an "update" for the ecu to use the newer sensors. I am not sure when they started it but MY 2013 definitely had a computer update when its first sensor crapped out.

t_bare
I tried to reflash with the newest tuneboy firmware from their site. It did not help.

But I know I can flash it back to get my cruise control so I will see if Ducati will flash it to fix it.

Last edited by rcadd1ct; Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:34 am. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #462 of 486 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2019, 6:54 pm

Garage
Ducati just refused to cover my 5th replacement fuel sensor because it was more than 12 months old. Average lifespan for me has been around 15 months with the last one hanging on for 18.

The latest part number is 592.1.021.1F, box date is 07/18. Mine was $101 incl tax thanks to my friendly salesman.

As noted by @t_bare , replacing the fuel sensor on a 2010-2012 bike requires a software update if it has not been done before. See attached parts document.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0480.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	941653  

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S

Last edited by herveyw; Apr 27th, 2019 at 6:56 pm. Reason: Credit back to t_bare
post #463 of 486 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2019, 8:36 pm

It's hopeless. Ducati (and BMW) are using the same junk material/components for the fuel sensor. The sooner you bypass it, the better. See ... https://www.ducati.ms/forums/179-dia...or-bypass.html

2012 Arctic White Multistrada 1200S Touring Model

post #464 of 486 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
It's hopeless. Ducati (and BMW) are using the same junk material/components for the fuel sensor. The sooner you bypass it, the better. See ... https://www.ducati.ms/forums/179-dia...or-bypass.html
Each to their own, I like having a working fuel gauge

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S
post #465 of 486 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2019, 7:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by herveyw View Post
Each to their own, I like having a working fuel gauge
Oh, no doubt. A couple of times now, I've run out of gas in some pretty dangerous situations on the highway because I got the math wrong and/or was burning too much fuel going too fast. Scared the heck out of me.

My point is that I don't believe the sensor is fixable because it's just plain junk. I'd love to try an aftermarket one, but I haven't heard of any real good options out there.

post #466 of 486 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2019, 9:55 am

Finally got mine working at the dealer yesterday. Tech said there were two places he could flash and he must have flashed the wrong one.

Ugh.

But at least I have a working bike again.
post #467 of 486 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2019, 11:05 am

Garage
Quote:
Oh, no doubt. A couple of times now, I've run out of gas in some pretty dangerous situations on the highway because I got the math wrong and/or was burning too much fuel going too fast. Scared the heck out of me.
This is what bothers me. I used to average close to 50mpg giving a range of 200 miles, on Friday I find I'm averaging 40mpg or lower on a run giving me 160 miles. I'm stopping to fill when I probably don't need to out of an abundance of caution.

Quote:
My point is that I don't believe the sensor is fixable because it's just plain junk. I'd love to try an aftermarket one, but I haven't heard of any real good options out there.
I agree. I just decided that at $100 and an hour or so of my time periodically, I'd treat it as a disposable item

post #468 of 486 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Talked to a guy at Ducati Austin and was told the problem is due to the US having ethanol in the fuel and they have no problem in Italy. If that is true than why is it Kawasaki or Honda doesn't seem to have this problem? Or their parent company VW or Audi? VW or Audi fuel gauges seem to work just fine. Maybe Ducati needs to ask VW for fuel gauge technology. Just boggles my mind that they can create some of the most amazing electronics on a motorcycle but they can't build a decent fuel gauge.
post #469 of 486 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino TX View Post
Just boggles my mind that they can create some of the most amazing electronics on a motorcycle but they can't build a decent fuel gauge.
That's because - like most things these days - the fuel gauge is being built by the lowest bidder contract manufacturer in China and it's just not a priority item for Ducati.

post #470 of 486 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 9:50 pm

Garage
Quote:
That's because - like most things these days - the fuel gauge is being built by the lowest bidder contract manufacturer in China and it's just not a priority item for Ducati.
Having just installed my 5th in less than 5 years, I'm as pissed as anyone, especially as Ducati refused to warranty my last one.

It is made by COBO (see https://www.cobogroup.net/en/) which is originally an Italian company formed in 1949, albeit now a worldwide consortium. Not a small operation from what I could glean from a quick scan with Google; they partner with Ducati and Pagani (supercars). Some manufacturing in Romania and even the US. Where this part is made is not clear, there are no markings on mine and it could as easily be eastern Europe as China.

Ultimately, the accountability remains with Ducati; they know its defective and are merely accepting iterative changes rather than demanding a redesign.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode