Old ST3 or New Multi 1100s?? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2007, 11:55 pm Thread Starter

Smile Old ST3 or New Multi 1100s??

Took my ST3 in for some service and saw a 2007 1100s Multi (black). Sat on it and liked the seating position. Dealer said he would give me $9,000 for my bike in as trade and the multi for $12,900. Some questions.

1. Am i going to miss the HP of my ST3 with DP kit? Would the difference be noticeable?

2. How comfortable is back seat on multi? My wife hates my ST3 back seat.

3. How well does the fairing work? I'm 6' so will the wind hit me in the face?

4. Any noticeable difference with the DP kit for the Multi (if there is one)?

I'm taking my wife to sit on it tomorrow. So any info would be helpful.. Thanks.

Law and "Dis-Order"
04 ST3 "silver" DP KIT
Chicago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2007, 12:22 am

well, I cannot give you much of a comparison, but you are on the correct path by letting your wife help make the decision. you will find the wind blast to be different, but that is a personal thing. I am taller than you, but found that a taller than stock windscreen caused buffeting and am rather accustomed to the wind now. as to power, best take a test ride and see how it feels to you. I just finished a 700 plus two day trip with a buddy who has a Honda interceptor. other than on the freeway at way extra legal speeds his greater HP was no big deal on the twisty roads we traveled. good luck with your decision
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2007, 2:55 am

Mts/st3

As both a Multi and ST3 owner, I find myself riding the Multi more often than the ST. I like the ST for long distance cruises, but I am having thoughts of taking the multi out for a long legged trip. My back favors the multi over the ST, even after I installed cycle cat risers.

The multi is much easier to work through the corners, and I find myself riding much faster on the multi than the ST.

I also have the DP windscreen on the multi, it provides more overall coverage compared to the stock screen. I am 6'2" and find the buffeting flows just over the top of my helmet, it is tolerable.

I find the power application fairly similar, but the handling of the multi makes it feel more useable due to the fact that it is easier to move the multi around.

I would prefer the Multi S over a used ST3. The suspension on the S is really something too!

Don

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2007, 9:26 pm

I regret selling my ST3. Great fuel economy and varies very little with cold weather, good power, comfortable and good wind protection. The Multi (2005 1000DS) sucks gas (38mpg v. 50+mpg; 28mpg in the dead of winter), good power, comfortable, lousy wind protection. Even a short ride in 24F will very quickly highlight how good the wind protection is on the ST3. ST3 is cheaper to insurance; $324 v. $600 for same coverage.

Now my wife does say that she likes the Multi because of the distance between the seat and the pegs is larger and makes for a very comfortable ride. The standard ST3 rear shock is weak and has no preload which is really handy.

For me as much as I love the sit up riding position of the Multi, between the two the ST3 is what I would keep for reasons mentioned above. Keep in mind though the 1100s seem to have better gas mileage thank the old 1000s. Now personally I like the sit up position enough to go to either a R1200GS or R1200RT next time after four Ducs; I know blashphemy

2009 BMW F800ST
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2007, 11:26 pm

I took my dad's 1100 (not S) for a rip to the black hills, south dakota a few weekends ago, and completely changed my view on it. It is a mean machine, kept up to the jap sport bikes no problem (could be I enjoy driving at 99% of my ability and they're scared to) but it just TORE IT UP!

If you've ever been there, the roads are insanely fun, fast, and twisty. some are slow 15mph sharp corners, quick elevation changes, others are up'n down all around fast but gentle 80-90mph curves. It just so happened that when I hopped on the bike for the first day it was a little soft, so I cranked up the preload about 7 clicks (just the rear) and it just seemed to be dialed in PERFECTLY. The bike and I were a match made in heaven. It felt so effortless to beat on it in the curves and twisties that I sometimes forgot I was driving, and was just enjoying being shuttled down the road.

I can't relate it to an ST3 from a "beat on it" hands on experience view, I've only puttered around on an ST3, down the highway, not riding it hard in the corners...but the multi...man oh man it's a serious machine. The ST3 left me with a "...it's a bike" feel. I'd almost consider giving up my monster for it....ALMOST! well....I just might.

OH! and it wheelies all over the place if you're into that! lol

If you couldn't tell, I was completely BLOWN away by the performance and comfort of the Multistrada.

and just for fun...only about 20mph in the pic so that's why I'm not over further!

Last edited by Invigor; Sep 13th, 2007 at 11:35 pm.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:00 am Thread Starter

Wink

Sweet Pic! Thanks to all for your input. I'm still up in the air about the bike. And the news of no more ST3's doesnt help my situation any more.. Again thanks for the help. I'll let you know if i get the bike by posting pics..

p.s. The Dp kit for the multi is expensive........

Law and "Dis-Order"
04 ST3 "silver" DP KIT
Chicago
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 2:29 pm

if the DP kit is the one that replaces the muffler with a Termi that looks the same except for carbon covers, it is NOT what you want. there is very little gain in HP or weight loss at rather large expense. get something from the aftermarket. it will be lighter and most likely cheaper.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2007, 7:12 am

I had a 06' ST3 that was stolen 6 weeks ago. I had put 5,000 miles on it. Mine had surging issues from the start and only got around 38 mpg. Even after installing Cycle Cat bars the bike never was very comfortable for me or the wife. Hate to say it but I am glad it was stolen.
I've got 1,000 miles on my new 07' Multi 1100. All I've got to say is WOW! The best bike I've ever owned(not the prettiest ). Almost 50 mpg riding home from the dealer (250 miles)! In the twisties I can drag my boots with the wife on the back! My wife says she likes the Multi alot better (more leg room). I have rode the Multi 300 miles in a day and wasn't tired. One stretch of over a hundred miles without stopping. No way I could do that on the ST3.

The Multi has plenty of power. From 0-100 I think the multi is just as fast as the ST3. The ST3 cruises better at 120 though(more wind blast on the Multi). In the twisties the Multi runs away from the ST3 I think. Especially on rougher roads, nothing phases the Multi.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2007, 3:38 pm

Simply put, if you ride for enjoyment, the Multi delivers on multiple fronts.

~ '08 KTM SDR ~ '11 KTM 300XC ~ '06 Beta Rev3 ~ '04 Ducati 749s ~
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2007, 9:13 am

I've never ridden and ST3, but used to own a couple of ST2's.

The basic thing I always say, the ST is nicer over around 80mph, the MTS under 80mph.
Not to say both won't work well on the other end of those ranges, but that is around where I start to like one over the other.

I had a great running ST (paid for) and after riding the Multi S I just had to buy one. I like it in almost every way more. Once you get into the higher speeds, I liked the position of the ST a little better, but not that much.

I get around 45mpg on my Multi, got a little better on the ST. Most I hear are getting better on the 1100 than the older bikes.

I know a guy that has the DP engine kit (not just exhaust, but cams etc) and he said it made a huge difference. I don't know if they have one for the 1100 yet.

Definately get the 'S' model. The suspension is great.

My wife likes the Multi on the back better, but she wanted some sort of backrest. I got a small 26L tail case (Givi) that has an optional backrest. I really like it, since I can pop it right off, but makes great day trip storage.
I've done 700+ mile days with no problems, and multi day trips are a snap. I did change the bars to some Rizomas, which are swept back more (and perhaps a mm or two lower). I find it much better for my wrists- no wrist cramping/pain/etc on the 700 mile days.
Oh yeah, Habanero makes a great backrest setup that replaces the rear handbar.

I like the stock seat just fine, but I don't just 'sit' on it. I move around, and flex the muscles on a regular basis. Others don't like it.

Go ride one if you can, see what you think. I know I have never regretted selling my ST2 and getting the multi.

Mark

2005 Multistrada S (rebuilding project) Running!
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2005 Lotus Elise
1970 OSSA Pioneer (for sale)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode