New to the Forum and Just got a Multi today - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2007, 3:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
I would like to know as a general question to other Multi riders (I hope I don't get railed for asking, like what oil do you use question) in the know, does the Ohlins package make that big of a deal? I ask because from a price point it might be worthwhile to pick up a standard and later as budget permits, custom dial the suspension with a Penske or Ohlins rear and fork internals (springs/valves) and let RickC do it. I think at that point you will have as equal or better set up. The Penske shock next to the Ohlins is impressive in the fit and finish department.
I've talked to a lot of guys that have owned both Multis, with and w/o Ohlins, and they say that the Ohlins does make a difference. Remember, the suspension is one of the Multi's greatest strengths! If you can find an "S", I encourage you to get one. The down side is, of course, the cost when they break, and they might break more often (but it seems the jury's still out on this one).

A lot of guys have had great success with getting the Showa suspension tuned. Penske & Wilbers seems to be the shock options most guys go with. When I can, I'd like to get tuning done by G.M.D. Computrack. http://www.gmdcomputrack.com/ One guy had this done on his non-S model and it only cost $1000, with parts & labor!

For me, I was able to save about $4000 in getting a leftover non-S instead of a brand new 1100S, so it was completely worth it to me. Besides, I'm not such a great rider that I will notice such a huge difference with the "S".

BTW, here is the creme-de-la-creme of Multistrada exhausts, the Multiscarico by MGA:
http://www.ducatimultistrada.it/mult...ltiscarico.php

It'll set you back about $2200 delivered to your door!

Man- Machine - Heaven

06 MTS1000

Last edited by Scrambles; Aug 8th, 2007 at 4:03 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2007, 3:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vduc
Oil: Mobil 1 v-twin or Motul
Correction: ONLY Mobil 1 MX4T or Amsoil full synthetic, and ONLY 10W-40. This comes from a certified lubrication engineer who studies motor oil professionally, and owns a Multistrada. All other oils are inferior in some respect.

Man- Machine - Heaven

06 MTS1000
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:59 pm Thread Starter

Ive used the regular Amsoil 10w40 in all my vehicles with very good results. It usually lasts longer unless you have a leak and oil temps may drop upto about 10 degrees in warmer weather.

There are also full synthetics with "friction modifiers" but are not good for wet clutch systems. The bottle will normally have a circle on the back with "Energy Conserving" in the round logo.

Are energy conserving 10w40 full synthetics safe for use in the 2005 dry clutch MTS? Im normally seeing anywhere from 185f-230f oil temp and its been pretty hot here lately. I dont know what oil is in it now but the dealer said it was serviced but he also isnt a Ducati dealer anymore. He couldnt clear the service wrench indicator either.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2007, 10:46 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambles
I've talked to a lot of guys that have owned both Multis, with and w/o Ohlins, and they say that the Ohlins does make a difference. Remember, the suspension is one of the Multi's greatest strengths! If you can find an "S", I encourage you to get one. The down side is, of course, the cost when they break, and they might break more often (but it seems the jury's still out on this one).

A lot of guys have had great success with getting the Showa suspension tuned. Penske & Wilbers seems to be the shock options most guys go with. When I can, I'd like to get tuning done by G.M.D. Computrack. http://www.gmdcomputrack.com/ One guy had this done on his non-S model and it only cost $1000, with parts & labor!

For me, I was able to save about $4000 in getting a leftover non-S instead of a brand new 1100S, so it was completely worth it to me. Besides, I'm not such a great rider that I will notice such a huge difference with the "S".

BTW, here is the creme-de-la-creme of Multistrada exhausts, the Multiscarico by MGA:
http://www.ducatimultistrada.it/mult...ltiscarico.php

It'll set you back about $2200 delivered to your door!

Wow, what a system, mama mia... Cool website, but I can't get the English version button to work, dang.

You convinced me, NC Rick for me on a base model with a Penske rear shock and redone forks.

Present:08 1800 Goldwing,03 999R#189,Past:03 FLHRI Road King, 09 1125CR Buell, 07 1100S MTS, 04 999S, 95 916, 01 900SS, 05 600RR, 05 600RR totalled, 66 650 BSA, 68 Honda DOHC

Ducati-Owners-Group of Sacramento region.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2007, 10:56 am

Evil....

congrats on the new Multi, that looks like a screamin' deal.

I've had both an '04 ds & an '06 s. The Showa's are great, I thought. The Ohlins are a bit more plush, they transfer a bit less energy from the bumps to you, but the Showa's are excellent.

There are many choices for replacement cans, but the big improvement comes from replacing the header. I like the Staintune, it moves the header to a location that is almost impossible to scrap, and makes oil changes easier. By replacing the header, the engine breaths much better, throttle response is much improved...and you lose weight and add a little hp. I've had both Termi and Staintune cans...both sound great, I like the look of the Staintunes a bit more. The Zard doesn't do much for me, but to each their own.

Enjoy the new ride. scott
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2007, 9:29 pm

Scrambles is absolutely correct!

Mobil 1 MX4T or Amsoil 10W40.

Nothing else.

OkeefenokeeJoe
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 9:09 pm Thread Starter

So far so good.

I had a Ducati dealer give it a quick look over and says everything looks and sounds good. I really dont like this dealer because of previous issues.They are supposed to have good Ducati mechanics but after talking to the service manager who also has a 2005 Multi im having my doubts. The next closest dealer is at least 100miles away.

He told me any slipon mufflers even with the DB killers will require a DP race ECU or a trim adjustment. Other fuel managers also but he doesnt like them. I made sure he understood ONLY a slipon for now. At least he said a valve adjustment was $250 and that didnt seem too bad. Just BSing with him for a few minutes left me with the feeling of uncertainy.

Im very picky about who works on my bikes and i do 90% of the services myself after learning how to do it the right way. He also told me i couldnt adjust/replace the belts myself without several special tools. Ive watched the youtube video and im sure i could do that.

BTW i bought some cheaper $70 Dowco small saddle bags for now. They seem to work fine and ive got over 600 miles since i got it. Here are a few pics from my campsite over looking the Meramec river near Sullivan Mo.

and

You can see the rest at

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/s...622&ppuser=383

I got to play around mildy on the old logging roads and i just love this bike. It has a unique character that is hard to describe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode