Which tires should I get? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2007, 5:38 pm Thread Starter

Which tires should I get?

The factory Pirelli Scorpions are beginning to wear thin (yes, in the middle). But that's not to say that I've gotten some decent wear on the sides! Scuffs and wear are almost to the edge. Yipee!

I'm just shy of my first major service as well (3,000).

What do you guys find to be the best compromise on a decent wearing tire that still affords some resemblance of stick-ability?

I generally ride her on sporadic jaunts through the twisties where I live; but I'm a reborn rider after a 15 year hiatus from a Jap twin, so I've yet to get a knee down, nor do I consider myself a really good rider.

I'm not brand loyal, but I do get a discount at a major moto retailer in my area. I'm just looking for some "sound" advice from those who ride MTS's, and Ducs in particular, and not from someone squidly that spends their entire riding experinece above 100mph on one wheel in traffic.

Thanks.

Now WTF are chicken strips?

'06 MTS 1000 "S" (Red)
Remus Grand Prix Race slip-ons
Arrow Race Collectors
CF Rear Hugger

www.ducati-owners-group.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2007, 6:15 pm

Pirelli Diablo Strada

I just switched from the stock Sync's to Pirelli Diablo Strada's. The Stradas give much bettter feedback and make my Multi handle like a proper Ducati. The syncs never felt fully planted to me.
I have around 1800 miles on the Stradas so far and am leaving for a 2000 mile trip to Laguna and back. So far tire wear is not noticeable.
Grip has been fine. I am a "pace" rider and don't use a lot of throttle on corner exit. So far no "slips". I have taken them to the edge of the tire with no worries. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Try this link for further info. http://www.bikeland.org/story.php?storyID=20256

Ride safe, Scott.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2007, 6:50 pm

Smile tire choice

+1 on the pirelli diablo strada. I have them on my R1150r. It's heavier bike, has Ohlins front and rear, ridden at "pace" speeds also. But probably at a brisker pace than most bmw's. great tire for "sporty" sport touring.

3000 on them and they look good for another 3000, which for me is quite good. good stick, quick warm up, neutral steering, very nice roll into turns.

Have M1 sportec's on my 900ss and like them alot too, but shorter life than the strada's. But they get ridden harder too. Actually the rear life just got shortened even more by a nail, and I just had M3's fitted, no miles yet.

1992 Ducati 900 SS, 2004 BMW R1100S, 1978 BMW R100RS, 1996 Ducati 955SP (sold in a moment of stupidity)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2007, 10:15 am

chicken strips are unused strips on the edge of the tires... as in too chicken to lean it over and use the whole tire.

as for which tires to use.... tires are such a subjective thing... you have to use what works for you... what you feel comfortable on. mileage is going to depend on riding style... you can shred your tires doing a couple track days, or go easy on the street and last a couple years. i use dunlop qualifiers on my multi, but i'm not worried about mileage
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2007, 9:17 am

I am running Conti Road Attacks on both my Multistrada and my ZRX1200 and love them. They are a steel-belted dual compound radial tire--harder in the middle for good life and softer on the sides for grip. They are a bit tough to spoon on the rims but great otherwise. They are wearing very well--actually it is amazing how well they last. Next time I might go to a Conti Sport Attack on the front (softer than the Road Attack) and keep the Road Attack on the rear, but probably only if I plan a track day. As it is, a lot of folks use the Road Attacks on track days and have zero complaints.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2007, 9:26 am

and I am thinking about going back to Scorpions. I have Pilot Powers now.
if you are noticing significant difference in the wear pattern, thin in the middle, yet plenty of tread on the sides, maybe one of the dual compound tires would be a good choice.
really, any modern tire is better than whaat we all used to rave about years past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode