Silence = Roar Flaps + F.Fabbri Screen + Aztec Spacers + Vortex Generators - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 11:24 pm Thread Starter

Talking Silence = Roar Flaps + F.Fabbri Screen + Aztec Spacers + Vortex Generators

After many incremental improvements (as well as a few missteps), I finally landed on a solution that offers me near silence and a calm bubble of air in the cockpit of my Multistrada.

Roar flaps

Like many of you, I followed the various threads here on "hiss flaps." And also like many of you, I have Barkbusters installed over my handguards. I tried fashioning folding hiss flaps (not unlike gabeschine's hinged hiss flaps), but I finally just settled on a simpler solution that mounts the flaps onto the windscreen itself.

I cut the flaps out of a sheet of ABS plastic and heat-formed them with a hot-air gun. I call them "roar flaps" because the turbulent air hitting the bottom of my helmet sounds more like a roar to me and less like hiss. These roar flaps significantly reduce that turbulence.

F.Fabbri screen

The F.Fabbri screen is slightly taller than the stock screen and not much wider. But crucially, it has little "winglets" that I was able to heat-form into mounting “platforms” for my homemade roar flaps.

Aztec spacers

I actually started with these spacers and the stock screen. Yes there was improvement in terms of reduced noise, but there was also improvement in terms of ergonomics. With the spacers, I have more room behind the screen to lean forward during spiriting riding.

When I switched to the taller F.Fabbri screen, the spacers were a necessity -- without them, I would hit my helmet against the lip of the screen, especially while mounting or dismounting.

Importantly, the Aztec spacers combined with the F.Fabbri screen allowed me to mount my roar flaps out of the way of my Barkbusters, even at full steering lock.

StolSpeed vortex generators

With the roar flaps, F.Fabbri screen, and Aztec spacers, the silence was golden. Unfortunately, that bubble of calm air was not very wide. If I moved my head just a couple inches left or right, once again my helmet would be thrashed with turbulent air and my ears would be tortured with the deafening roar. And if I happened to be passing a large SUV or truck, the bubble of calm air would mostly disappear.

To better understand where the turbulence was being generated, I covered my windscreen with homemade telltales (pieces of yarn taped down so that they show the flow of the air) and rode around at various speeds. I realized that a significant source of the turbulence was from the screen pushing the air diagonally upwards to the left and right -- at the correct angle to hit the bottom of my helmet when I leaned slightly left or right.

So I mounted StolSpeed vortex generators with 30 mm spacing at 15 degree angles to the streamlines indicated by the telltales. Wow, what an unbelievable difference!

I can now move my head almost a foot in either direction and stay in smooth air. Who knew a handful of tiny plastic vortex generators could widen the sweet spot by so much?!?!

(BTW, I purchased my StolSeed vortex generators from Aircraft Spruce, who shipped them out the same day. I received them two days after I ordered them.)

2011 MTS 1200 Touring
2009 KTM Duke 690
(3 previous Ducatis, 2 previous KTMs, a Yamaha, and 2 Hondas)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 11:33 pm

Photos?

2008 Hypermotard S
2010 Multistrada S Touring
2009 BMW R1200 GS
2009 Vespa 250 GTS ie
2006 Aprilia SR70
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 11:34 pm

pic's my good man we need detailed pic's
we all thanks you in advance

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream by night." - Edgar Allen Poe
IBA# 55298, 2012 Monster 1100 EVO, 2013 Multi.,
05 V-Rod, 16 KTM 500EXC 6Days,

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 11:51 pm Thread Starter

To the casual observer, my DIY roar flaps look like stock plastic.

With all of the various black and white shapes making up the profile of my Multistrada, the roar flaps almost disappear from view.

Closer in, you can see that my roar flaps look... um... a little DIY. And the vortex generators look totally heavy metal. Before I painted the pop rivets on the roar flaps black, the front of my Multistrada was very Judas Priest.

2011 MTS 1200 Touring
2009 KTM Duke 690
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 11:55 pm Thread Starter

Funny enough, the roar flaps look like eyebrows from straight on. Groucho Marx?

Each roar flap is pop-riveted onto the "winglet" of the F.Fabbri windscreen. Note that there are washers in between each roar flap and the windscreen, creating a gap that allows some air to pass through.

Here's the "cockpit view" of the roar flaps and vortex generators. Not the prettiest sight -- but very functional.

2011 MTS 1200 Touring
2009 KTM Duke 690
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 12:05 am Thread Starter

And yes, I know my Multistrada is filthy with bug splats all over its nose and muddy pollen buildup underneath. It is early summer, after all.

2011 MTS 1200 Touring
2009 KTM Duke 690
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 12:12 am

Very Nice -thank you!

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream by night." - Edgar Allen Poe
IBA# 55298, 2012 Monster 1100 EVO, 2013 Multi.,
05 V-Rod, 16 KTM 500EXC 6Days,
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 6:56 am

Geeezus! That looks hideous.

Sorry. Lol. If it saves you from the wind then great!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 8:01 am

I don't think it looks bad at all. Now we just need a screen manufacturer to make a screen that includes these flaps, but all in clear and all in one piece.

How did you decide on the locations and angles of the vortex thingies? Just from watching your telltails?

Michael

'13 MTS GT
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 8:31 am

Not for me, but not bad at all. Clean workmanship. Also, that rig may help keep some of the rain off, which I hear you guys are getting plenty of.

The wife and I are originally from Boston 20 years ago, but we still have family back there who remind us just how dry we are on occasion.

2012 Arctic White Multistrada 1200S Touring Model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode