Should I trade for a 04' Multistrada? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 3:06 pm Thread Starter

Should I trade for a 04' Multistrada?

My buddy who works at a Suzuki dealership just called and said they may be getting a '04 Multistrada 1000 in for trade. I have a standing order to call me if anything "odd" shows up.

My current ride is a '04 BMW R1150R Rockster. I like the bike, nice stable ride with a little more sport then a cruiser. The only thing I don't care for is the lack of any fairing, anything over 65mph is punishing on my 6'5" body. The group that I ride with all have repli-racers R1s, 999, GSXR1k ect. I have no desire to keep up with the group when they get serious but I like hitting the twisties as much as the next guy albeit at a slightly relaxed pace.

How does the MTS hold up to weight? I'm a big ex-football(American) player guy. I also do alot of two-up rideing about 70% of my rideing is two-up. With my wife and I in gear I would guess 450lbs. How does this weight sound on a MTS?

Anything else that would be helpful to know about? From what I've seen the bike compare pretty well, it would be more of a cross-grade then an upgrade.

-JTP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 7:11 pm

I'm a couple of inches shorter than you and like the smaller stock fairing on my '03. some folks like taller fairings, but they seem to cause helmet buffeting to me. I have ridden with a somewhat large friend on the back who wanted to see the difference between the Harleys that she usually gets rides on and my MS. My bike didn't complain and neither did she except that she thought I was riding rather fast. It was the absolute slowest ride I had ever been on. I have not done any multi day trips with a passenger, but have done many several day trips with camping gear.
being a Beemer owner also,(R75/5) I agree that in many ways it will be a lateral change for you. probably a bit lighter feeling and more feedback about what the front wheel is doing.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 5:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeThePimp

My current ride is a '04 BMW R1150R Rockster. I like the bike, nice stable ride with a little more sport then a cruiser. The only thing I don't care for is the lack of any fairing, anything over 65mph is punishing on my 6'5" body.
Consider a windscreen. HUGE difference!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 9:43 pm
MultiModerator

I can't offer much in the way of input since I'm on the other end of the size spectrum. I'm 5'-6", 150 lb and with the wife on total is only ~260 lb plus gear, which it has no problem hauling.

As far as the bike it's a great ride. Really good handling even compared to a sport bike but upright for longer, more comfortable rides. My BMW experience is limited a ride on GS1150 when deciding to get the Multi, you know which I liked better.

Good luck deciding.

Vito
93 750SS - 10 Hypermotard EVO SP - 12 Streetfighter S - 15 Panigale R - 17 1299 Superleggera
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 10:54 pm

I have an '04 Multi, enjoy it quite nicely, and it does a great job 2-up. Weight-wise, I think you're ok!

With an '04 though, there are some quirks you have to deal with: gas tank indicator is erratic, crappy sidestand, mirrors aren't great. You can upgrade the last two to '05 stuff, which is better. I do have the leaky exhaust problem on mine, which I haven't fixed; it doesn't hurt the engine (it's downstream of the engine) just a little efficiency lost and sometimes a loud BANG on deceleration at times.

Good luck with your choice.

2008 848 (Red), Termi Full, PCIII
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2007, 10:08 am

The Multi is perfect for tall people . The only thing you will want to do is change the front sprocket from 15 to 14 tooth. About $25 from Dennis Kirk. The bike comes over geared. Maybe its been done already. I changed my windshield to a Zero0 Gravity Double bubble, which added more protection on to. Their Touring screen adds more yet.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 12:45 pm

speak of the devil..

I'm thinking of trading my sport 1000 for an 04 Multi, a ST3-4, GT 1000, or mabe an 07 R1200R.. The Sport doesn't fit well in the stable. (06 Sport 1000, 02 ZRX1200, 02 Falco)

I'm thinking of getting rid of the ZRX and the Sport and replacing them with more of a touring bike...Why not the Falco? The Falco is a tremendous bike - just awesome ..low maint, tight engine/gear box, great brakes, ad the 02 looks great..
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2007, 3:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbohn
Consider a windscreen. HUGE difference!
Agreed, and you'd do worse than go to Eagle screens (Australia) and contact John. I have the Touring Dakar and can ride at well over 100mph without any problem. Some people don't like the look of it but I do.
BTW, this is my first post so hi to all
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2007, 9:24 am

With my wife and me adn our gear we are probably around 410 lbs (mostly me ) and my Multistrada does just fine. The mirror and sidestand issues may have been fixed on the 04 your friend is taking in--if not, many owners have gotten the upgrades free from Ducati. Check with your local Ducati dealer on that one. Another issue is possible defective valve guides on some motors--again, check with your Duc dealer to see if the bike is within the affected range. From what I have read, Ducati has been paying to fix these too even where the bikes have been out of warranty. I have owned over 40 bikes and the Multistrada is my favorite of them all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode