The Extended Warranty Thread - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 268 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2012, 12:40 pm Thread Starter
AARP Reject

Garage
The Extended Warranty Thread

I have never bought an extended warranty for any vehicle I have purchased prior to buying my MTS12.

Since most of these bikes are still (if some just barely) under the original warranty, the value of these extensions remains to be seen, but I thought it might be a good idea to put up a master thread on the topic. Future buyers of new bikes (and used bikes that have transferable policies) might then be able to judge the value of this "accessory" in relation to buying something else, or nothing at all, at time of purchase.

I'll start by saying that as Ride Red was no longer on offer, I gave a moment of consideration at the closing desk and decided to pop for the five year option being offered by my dealer and bought the "RPM One" policy at time of initial purchase. My subsequent research (I often buy, then do the research later) won't offer any conclusions for at least two years (and hopefully "never") but I think there may be some value in discussing this option for future buyers of MS12s in particular and Ducatis or "motorcycles in general" as time passes.

I hope this first thread develops value to the community.
lemansiii likes this.

Lew
'12 Multistrada S Touring
'05 Boxer Cup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 268 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2012, 1:13 pm
Prolific Poster Award

It is an insurance policy open to interpetation...
Some (most?) are written so there are hoops to jump thru...
Horror stories about to come???

Up here The Rise Red (From Ducati ) was not well recieved by Our Local dealer ( Few and FAR between)
They have recommended another insurance policy from a co. That they have had GOOD LUCK with previously...
BUT say right up front that THE SHOP will not guarantee Anything for sure, They will go to bat for the customer but that is all the can promise...

So it seems that it MAY be a roll of the dice...

Seems like I have to gamble on this one...

Hey it is only a grand or there abouts , what could possibly go wrong???

Bad decisions make for good stories
Take my Advice, I don't use it.
2011 Red Multistrada S Touring
post #3 of 268 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2012, 1:24 pm

I'm actually looking to buy extended warranty in the next couple of months. Will check with my original dealer since they have been a delight to deal with to see what my options are but this thread will definitely come in useful.

KTM Super Duke 1290R / 2011 Multistrada S Touring (Sold) / K7 600 (Track Only)

post #4 of 268 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2012, 1:32 pm Thread Starter
AARP Reject

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTScott2 View Post
Hey it is only a grand or there abouts , what could possibly go wrong???
That's why we are here! Sometimes it seems everything on the internet is anecdotal, but these will be our very own anecdotes about an accessory that hasn't had it's own thread.

Lew
'12 Multistrada S Touring
'05 Boxer Cup
post #5 of 268 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2012, 4:18 pm

Western Service, I bought 4 years for 850.00. They are replacing the dashboard on my 2010 mts1200s as we speak.
post #6 of 268 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2012, 7:01 pm

+1 on Western Service

I think mine is a 5 year on top of 2 from Ducati. I dont normally go there but with all the gadgets on this bike I did. I knew when I bought the bike that I would be keeping it for more than 2 years so for about 900 bucks I got it. Piece of mind and as I read some of the "porous head" stories I am glad I did. So far I had a claim to get a rear tire replaced. I had a blow out and even tho my stock Pirelli's were about 80% gone they replaced the tire and paid for the mounting and balancing as well. Although that was under the tire and wheel package I bought. I am now buying those with all my cars and bikes. Wheels cost a lot to replace and with the condition of most roads I think its worth it.

2011 MTS1200 T ( Black )
2011 BWM F800GS
2011 Husqvarna TE 250
2009 Hyper ( gone but I have visitation rights)
post #7 of 268 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2012, 7:45 pm

This is a great thread for and against extended warranty coverage.
I work on my own bikes at my dealership so you would think I dont have extended coverage.... wrong my dash on my mts1100s just got replaced the other day due to no back light ilummination, couldnt see the dash at night and I need that for my long distance riding. so I believe my cost was about $500(insurance). and the dash was $905 (parts) and was reimbursed for 1 hour labor(haha) I have even owned extended coverage on my japanese bikes in the past and the only one that didnt pay off was my '04 Yamaha FZ1 and even then they paid for a turn signal relay and a broken brake line...back in 1986 my GPZ1100 broke a crankshaft and would have cost me $3000 and the extended warranty company didnt want to pay labor as I worked on bikes, I turned around and started a complaint against them and they paid in full...
Now for the against extended warranty coverage it is a crap shoot, isnt that why they call "insurance" some will pay and never use it, but it is a peice of mind deal, others will never pay for it and then break down and complain about expense's.... cant win for losing... Just remember that this insurance cost is negotiated between you and the dealer if you so desire..
post #8 of 268 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2012, 2:59 am

Anyone have a website for the Western Insurance? (generic term to google, then guess if it's the one you guys are referring to).
Thanks

2011 Multistrada TUNEBOY equipped Dry STM slipper clutch... and some tricky bits inside the motor
W/Real Ohlins manual TTX shock and 30mm TTX cartridges & BSTs
post #9 of 268 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2012, 7:00 am
Resident Raggamuffin

Thanks Pampero.

Have any of you transferred over the Ever Red warranty to a new owner? There supposedly is a small fee involved but I can't find any information on it online. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, BMWs, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, KTM 1290 SDR, and a Thruxton R
post #10 of 268 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2012, 7:35 am

I bought my MTS1200S used with 1 year of factory warranty left. I promptly purchased an extended warranty from Western Service Contract that gives me 4 additional years from the expiration of the factory warranty. Hopefully I'll never need it but if I do it's there. Note: I hardly ever buy extended service contracts but I did on this one. $3K Ohlins shocks, porous heads don't sound like much fun down the road.

2011 MTS1200S Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode