Diy mts 1200 valve check & adjustment - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 79 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2012, 6:21 am
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Emmitsburg, MD, USA
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Kudos.

I want to do this myself as well for a winter project. How would one log it in the service record though?
I think he has logged it quite well. Pics of the service, notes on his measurements, and receipts for the parts. Kinda tells the whole story. What more could one ask for?
Mr Hankey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 79 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2012, 3:17 pm
Senior Member
 
Gilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Copenhagen, , Denmark
Posts: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hankey View Post
I think he has logged it quite well. Pics of the service, notes on his measurements, and receipts for the parts. Kinda tells the whole story. What more could one ask for?
I suppose I could get my dealer to log an entry in the record indicating I did the work myself, especially if I buy the parts and stuff from him.

I want to do this.

2010 1200 Multistrada S Touring Black
2008 Termi S4R

Upgraded to S4Rs following wreck
BST wheels
++
Gilles is offline  
post #23 of 79 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2012, 11:13 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 28
Excellent, thanks for sharing! This could save me a ton of cash!

Wear the fox hat
Alfonzo de Cradunza is offline  
 
post #24 of 79 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2012, 12:04 pm
Senior Member
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
Posts: 750
First, thanks Cessna for the excellent tutorial. Good stuff. It looks like one of the biggest time consumers is the tear-down/put-back of all the various bits. I've had my tank off 3 times for various reasons and it's a 3-4hr job "round-trip" just to get that done!

On to my question. I had heard (read actually) that when you do Desmo valves, it's an iterative process vs. a one-time setting. What I mean is, you set the opener, then the closer, then have to go back and recheck the opener, etc. until everything is just right. I didn't see this in your tutorial, so is that not the case? It would remove a lot of anxiety, complexity, and time if not.

Again, thanks for the great write-up!

-SM

Current:
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Sport - FOR SALE - PM me if interested
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Sock Monkey is offline  
post #25 of 79 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2012, 1:25 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
CessnaTPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Riverview, FL, USA
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
First, thanks Cessna for the excellent tutorial. Good stuff. It looks like one of the biggest time consumers is the tear-down/put-back of all the various bits. I've had my tank off 3 times for various reasons and it's a 3-4hr job "round-trip" just to get that done!

On to my question. I had heard (read actually) that when you do Desmo valves, it's an iterative process vs. a one-time setting. What I mean is, you set the opener, then the closer, then have to go back and recheck the opener, etc. until everything is just right. I didn't see this in your tutorial, so is that not the case? It would remove a lot of anxiety, complexity, and time if not.

Again, thanks for the great write-up!

-SM
When I was doing my homework for this project I found that the older ducati's are more involved when doing the valve check & adjustment so I'm sure what you read was not referring to our newer easier to work on Testastretta engines.. Neither of my shop manuals mentioned anything about it being a iterative process.
But I wanted to get a 2nd opinion and asked a mechanic this question and below was his response.


That is a good point. In theory, the opening and closing clearances are independent of each other, since the clearance being checked is the clearance between the opening rocker arm and the opening cam and the closing rocker arm and the closing cam. The shim size does not make a difference on how the valve is setting in the head, only the amount of deflection the rocker arms are experiencing.

It is typical when measuring the clearances on the older desmoquattros and all 2-valve engines to take the reading at the same place: between the opening shim and the opening cam. The difference is depressing the closing rocker to reveal the clearance for the shim/rocker and subtracting the opening clearance to find the true closing clearance. This you see referred to as the loaded and unloaded gap in several manuals and Internet tutorials.
With the Testastretta engines no such guesswork is necessary, the opening/closing rocker-cam interfaces are easily accessible. So I remain committed to the
theory that the clearances are independent of each other.
It is a good idea to check everything before reassembly.
CessnaTPA is offline  
post #26 of 79 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2012, 12:29 am
Senior Member
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaTPA View Post
When I was doing my homework for this project I found that the older ducati's are more involved when doing the valve check & adjustment so I'm sure what you read was not referring to our newer easier to work on Testastretta engines.. Neither of my shop manuals mentioned anything about it being a iterative process.
But I wanted to get a 2nd opinion and asked a mechanic this question and below was his response.


That is a good point. In theory, the opening and closing clearances are independent of each other, since the clearance being checked is the clearance between the opening rocker arm and the opening cam and the closing rocker arm and the closing cam. The shim size does not make a difference on how the valve is setting in the head, only the amount of deflection the rocker arms are experiencing.

It is typical when measuring the clearances on the older desmoquattros and all 2-valve engines to take the reading at the same place: between the opening shim and the opening cam. The difference is depressing the closing rocker to reveal the clearance for the shim/rocker and subtracting the opening clearance to find the true closing clearance. This you see referred to as the loaded and unloaded gap in several manuals and Internet tutorials.
With the Testastretta engines no such guesswork is necessary, the opening/closing rocker-cam interfaces are easily accessible. So I remain committed to the
theory that the clearances are independent of each other.
It is a good idea to check everything before reassembly.
Thanks for the follow up.

Great news, and makes the job that much more "accessible" for us arm-chair wrenches (or is that wretches? ).

-SM

Current:
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Sport - FOR SALE - PM me if interested
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Sock Monkey is offline  
post #27 of 79 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2012, 2:12 am
Senior Member
 
TiDuc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pisa, Italy and now Colorado, ,
Posts: 1,105
Cessna
Thanks for taking the time to document your write up for others to learn from and hopefully inspire them if they are so inclined. Id be doing my own anyway, but you made my job that much easier. A great job! THANK YOU.

2011 Multistrada TUNEBOY equipped Dry STM slipper clutch... and some tricky bits inside the motor
W/Real Ohlins manual TTX shock and 30mm TTX cartridges & BSTs
TiDuc is offline  
post #28 of 79 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2012, 11:38 pm
Junior Member
 
wolfkabal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Winchester, VA, USA
Posts: 17
Looks on par with doing valve adjustments on pretty much every other bike, except for those closer shims - don't see them every day. Looks like I'll be doing my 15k maintenance myself as well. Only 7500 more to go!
wolfkabal is offline  
post #29 of 79 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2012, 1:57 am
Senior Member
 
CamDLux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leesburg, VA, USA
Posts: 217
Great post!
CamDLux is offline  
post #30 of 79 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2012, 9:43 am
Senior Member
 
Bill A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Murrieta, CA, USA
Posts: 426
If anyone in the SoCal area wants to tackle this, I'd like to come by and "lend a hand" (that's an euphemism for watch, and maybe hand you tools).

I want to do this myself, but I'd rather learn from someone else in person first.

Mercy!
Bill A is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
696 Valve Adjustment musicboy86 Monster 2 Nov 20th, 2011 10:25 am
First valve adjustment! Hazzbin HyperMotard 19 Aug 21st, 2011 12:58 pm
valve adjustment??? sebastian750 Monster 12 Jun 30th, 2010 3:25 pm
Valve Adjustment 999 SAC Superbikes 10 Nov 7th, 2008 6:01 am
How many hours for valve adjustment & belt check only? 3stephenD Sport Classic 4 Jul 18th, 2007 9:10 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome