Sometimes running "lumpy"? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2012, 2:55 pm Thread Starter

Sometimes running "lumpy"?

I don't know if it's just me, but very rarely when I go for a ride, the entire time the engine feels lumpy, or loaded with more vibration than normal. This happened yesterday on a 50-60 mile ride. Power seemed there but seemed almost like the throttle body sync was off or something. Best I can describe it is a lumpiness similar to trying to use too high a gear for the rpm's. Rode it again this morning to work and all was just fine again.

I can't recall or not if I started it and let it warm up for a bit when it demonstrated these symptoms, but I am sure this morning I did. I was wondering if maybe the ecu got a funny reading when starting and taking off right away. Almost like the tps sensor was misread at startup or the lambda fuel mixture was horked.

Anyone else seem to experience this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuyose View Post
I don't know if it's just me, but very rarely when I go for a ride, the entire time the engine feels lumpy, or loaded with more vibration than normal. This happened yesterday on a 50-60 mile ride. Power seemed there but seemed almost like the throttle body sync was off or something. Best I can describe it is a lumpiness similar to trying to use too high a gear for the rpm's. Rode it again this morning to work and all was just fine again.

I can't recall or not if I started it and let it warm up for a bit when it demonstrated these symptoms, but I am sure this morning I did. I was wondering if maybe the ecu got a funny reading when starting and taking off right away. Almost like the tps sensor was misread at startup or the lambda fuel mixture was horked.

Shawn

No!

But I experience the same feeling as you when shifting the Multi.

Some days the gears go up and down as if they were covered with butter and need no room to set themselves. It's a work of art.

Other days it takes an effort to go up from any gear to the next gear without seeming to have to pull it up maybe 3 full inches before it locks in.

The bike is bi polar!

Asian bikes ride and run and sound like original Singer sewing machines.

We don't ride one of those, Shawn.

You never stop paying for a Ducati.

Dan
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2012, 7:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF View Post
I experience the same feeling as you when shifting the Multi.

Some days the gears go up and down as if they were covered with butter and need no room to set themselves. It's a work of art.

Other days it takes an effort to go up from any gear to the next gear without seeming to have to pull it up maybe 3 full inches before it locks in.

The bike is bi polar!

Asian bikes ride and run and sound like original Singer sewing machines.

We don't ride one of those, Shawn.

You never stop paying for a Ducati.

Dan
Well said my friend, well said!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2012, 6:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuyose View Post

Yes I experience this regularly and yes it drives me crazy.

The symptoms as I interpret them are that the firing order of the two cylinders is a little out of sync, or timing is retarded, making for that "lumpy" feeling.
It definately makes the bike harder to ride - more gear changes, less usable torque, lots more vibration, although fine at high rpm.

Then, next morning, with nothing different, it purrs like a pussy cat .

I've been working on it for a couple of months now and have only the following insights to offer:

* It's more likely to occur in cold wheather.
* It's more likely to occur if ride away without a good warm up.
* It's VERY likely to occur if the DTC kicks in while cold.
* Disconnecting the battery and/or resetting to factory defaults makes no difference.

The DTC point is the most interesting as that's where it all started.
Went into a corner one day with good lean, added some throttle, DTC starts flashing, bike splutters along somewhat exagerated for the bit of juice I gave it - bingo bike shows same symptoms all the way home.
Switching off DTC does nothing to help.

Took it to the dealer who said Ducati refuse to look at DTC issues if the tyres are not original geometry, and unfortunately my rear tyre is 190/50 instead of 195/50.
Now I ride without DTC at all, but still have the random lumpy performance, and I'm not even sure if the two problems are related

Last edited by DuciDooDoo; Jun 27th, 2012 at 5:57 am. Reason: Changed DTS to DTC (traction control) sorry about that.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2012, 8:14 am

If the bike is running badly this is not a DES problem.

Find a different dealer. It should be a plug in the DDI and look at the error codes 5 minute job to work out where the problem lies.

Sounds like timing. Has the bike thrown any crank angle sensor errors?

TimOz

2010 MTS1200S Sport Black
Standard exhaust
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2012, 10:09 am Thread Starter

Nope no errors, and runs just fine 95% of the time. Sometimes it even seems as if the thing has 15 more horsepower than usual. As the previous poster mentioned. It almost seems like the timing is retarded or advanced differently when these outlying conditions occur.

The only thing I did was adjusted change and filled up with new gas prior to the last time this happened. Although the next day without any other changes, only letting it warm up a bit, it ran great.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2012, 10:34 am

Location: Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
My Diavel's exactly the same. Starting to wonder if it's changes in atmospheric pressure.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2012, 10:46 am Thread Starter

I'm going to start taking a note of the pressure as well when it runs like that. Conversely, I have days where the damn thing feels like it was race prepped by the Championship MotoGP crew. It is most definitely not a placebo feeling. The difference in the times it runs poorly to when it is running absolutely fantastic is night and day. It would be nice to figure out what makes it run like a raped ape though. I would say 95% of the time it is good/great. Nice smooth power and I actually don't have the surging a lot of people have issues with below 3K. The other 2.5% it runs lumpy, and every so often ~2.5% it run like it will power wheelie in 5th from 4500 rpm

From messing around with tuneboy with my old triumph ST, I would guess it might be something like the ecu applying an idle or off idle trim based on initial readings on start up and not getting it quite right. Maybe even providing a different ignition map?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2012, 8:26 am

Well I think it's fuel

It's been a while since we were active on this thread but I havn't given up on why the bike runs so "lumpy" on occasions.

Decided to experiment with fuel a while ago and think I've found the cause.
Here in Australia I've always used the best, highest octane juice I can buy for all my bikes, so I did the same for the MTS.

Then recently on an empty tank I gave it $5 of the standard stuff that everyone uses just to give it a try.
A noticeable difference was immediate, no more lumpy/bumpy/popping/banging/wierdness/etc, the bike ran fine.

It's been a couple of tanks now and everything is still great.

Hope this works for others.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2012, 2:54 pm

I saw the same thing yesterday. Wasn't running smooth. Thought my earplugs were loose and letting in more noise. One thing I did not was that I didn't warm it up very much before starting off.

2016 Monster 1200 R, 2015 Multi S
Sold: 2010 SFS, 2012 Multi, 07 BMW 1200ST, 94 Ninja 900R, 79 BMW R100S, 75 BMW R75/5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode