Multistrada Passenger Comfort - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2012, 8:53 pm Thread Starter

Multistrada Passenger Comfort

Hi everyone. New to the forum. I currently own a BMW K1600 and will be selling it as I will be moving to the Philippines this year. I am thinking about jumping ship over to Ducati and wanted to get some info. I ride with my wife most of the time and she needs to be happy too. I am straying away from the big tourer because of the road and heavy traffic conditions in the Philippines. I need something light and agile, capable of carrying a passenger, being able to filter through traffic with ease, throw bags on it for out of town trips (350km or so....takes up to 12 hours here depending on traffic!), and the roads here are downright bad everywhere so I was leaning towards the Multi as it seems to fit the bill for all the conditions I have described. There is but a few things a few days of lurking hasn't clued me in on...

How is the passenger comfort? Will most likely getting the touring model with top case.

Temp here is usually in the 90s with humidity at full blast. Any heat issues as far as the bike goes? Sitting in traffic? Or any heat being thrown at rider or pillion?

And if anyone is wondering why I am jumping ship is because Ducati has a better established dealer here (on top of having better looking bikes) and the BMW dealer sucks...and that is being relatively nice about that.

Thanks for your honest input.

Kevin

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2012, 9:05 pm
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)

the Handbrake has reluctantly admitted that the Multi is far more comfortable than my Heritage softtail ... and she loved being the "Queen" on that bike. she has not complained about heat or buffeting .

better yet , whats stopping you from taking a test ride ?

that will tell you all you need to know .
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2012, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

Working on getting to the dealership possibly this weekend. Just want to absorb as much info as possible before going in.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2012, 10:28 pm

2 up is fine on my multi s touring

With the top case on my wife is very comfortable but we have done 70 miles max 2 up. I just hit the 2 passenger w luggage to firm up the pre load and off we go. Combined rider weight aprox 300 lbs w gear.

Just out of curiosity... What did you like/dislike about the big BMW 1600.? Part do me wants one if I ever get into some serious cross country stuff.

2011 MTS1200 T ( Black )
2011 BWM F800GS
2011 Husqvarna TE 250
2009 Hyper ( gone but I have visitation rights)
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2012, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

The K1600 is great but it is not practical in tight traffic and urban riding. At 750 lbs it is a handful if you are not chewing up highway miles. As far as the bike itself I don't have any complaints and it is the most comfortable bike I have ever sat on as far as touring goes. Again it's very big though and isn't exactly designed for rougher roads. To top it off the dealer here for BMW is a bunch of ass hats and I don't want to deal with them at all.

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 1:00 am

The only negative for what you describe is going to be heat. On a hot day, sitting in traffic, the Multi will run hot.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 1:26 am Thread Starter

Are we talking hotter than normal or hot to the point of shutting down? Last time I lived here I rode a R1 and it would go over 240 degrees regularly but it never overheated to the point the computer would kill it. The worst part of that bike was the heat it threw on the riders hands an legs.

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 2:21 am

Here is typical Sydney weather and out on the open road, mine sits in the high 60' to low 70's (degrees C).

In stop start traffic is quickly goes up to 105 or more.
I've seen it hit 111 once, but my stop start traffic is fairly short and once I'm moving again it drops back to 70-80 ish ... (and I start breathing again).

As for rider pillion comfort the heat doesnt seem to be an issue. (I *do* feel it on my left leg when it gets real hot, but it's not distractingly hot).

As for general comfort, my other half is quite happy. Esp. with the topbox to lean back on. Also her legs are further away from the engine so heat dosn't seem to be any issue there ...

I have a MIVV decat and can, so maybe that helps keep the heat away on the exhaust side.

The stock can and cat seem to generate (and hold) a lot of heat and this in turn is seen as discolored brake fluid and on the early models as melted plastic outer on the cable to the flapper valve in the cat. (Oh also melted rubber bumper for the center stand).

Hope that helps ?

Cheers,
Witto
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 2:42 am Thread Starter

What I am reading about pillion comfort has got me excited about this bike now. Hopefully I can drag my wife to the dealership today or tomorrow to get a up close look at the bike.

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 5:38 am

We have a couple of bikes. The multistrada is the only bike my wife will ride two up on. She loves it. Says it is very comfortable. However, I love it because it is fast, snarling, road beast We just bought a Givi monokey top box and a mini back rest (I don't like the back rest). Technically it is her bike and I was ordered to get the stupid back rest. I take it off as soon as she is off the bike With the top box on, it kind gives her some security she is not going to fly off the back when I hammer the throttle to let the termignoni sing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode