Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Radiator guards ?

20K views 77 replies 35 participants last post by  mabrungard 
#1 · (Edited)
When are radiator guards really needed ?

Is it mainly when using dirt roads regularly, or is it even recommended when never leaving the normal roads ?

Any recommondations of good looking one's ?

At the moment i'm thinking on the "evotech performance" guards, but guessing if i really need them .....

#2 ·
The radiator and oil cooler are located in vulnerable positions regardless of the roads you ride. I have had the grill of my truck knocked out by a car passing in the opposite direction that hit a pothole and threw up a piece of asphalt. The Evotech guards were the first addition I made to the bike and I ride strictly pavement.

#4 ·
Ted bet me to the punch, as I was going to start a similar thread. Rather than doing so, I think my question would be useful here:

Have folks who've installed certain radiator guards experienced any overheating symptoms? Reason I ask is I had a layover in Seattle recently and popped over to both Touratech and Ducati Seattle, where the Touratech-equipped MTS is on display. I saw Touratech's radiator guard and my first observation was that the protective grill seemed to be....well, not that protective and left a lot of the radiator exposed, especially compared to other guards available.

I was told the reason why Touratech's guard was designed this way was to not obstruct much of the radiator guard's fins. He told me that people who've installed other, more restrictive (protective), guards had indeed had some overheating problems.

What say the jury?

Jack

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

#34 ·
Exactly! If you look at the designs, there is not much 'true' coverage of the grill. i think its a waste. ive never had a problem on a bike of any sort.

Plus save the money. buy a radiator later if needed. As far as the upper grill..... total waste of money.

buy sommething you will enjoy!

#6 ·
I don't know what Tourarech is trying to stop from damaging the rad...
I've seen a deer crash into a transport and bend the rad all to crap with the head and no leaks at all , I would have bet the rad would have had a hole somewhere.

Are the rads built of stronger material than the oil coolers?
I am very suspecious of the Touratech salemans explanation. they make some good products .

#22 ·
I second that on the Touratech guard, which appears designed to catch wayward logs and boulders. Anything large enough to be stopped by the Touratech guard is going to have enough energy to drag the guard through the radiator with it.

I just ordered the Evotech guards for the oil cooler and radiator. I think they look very clean and unobtrusive, and I hear nothing but positive comments about them.

#7 ·
I have the Evo Tech oil cooler and radiator guards on my bike and haven't experienced any issues. I had a socket come through the window of my F-350 on I-75 as I was driving through Cincinnati. I can always use another 12 mm socket, but didn't appreciate the delivery method. I can't imagine what that would have done to a face shield or radiator.

#8 ·
Given the feedback, i just ordered a Evotech guard set :D

Hope i never need it ( i'm no fortune-teller ;) ) , but now i have them i guess i'll never know ;)

#12 ·
If you are in the US, the Cox guards work great and are good value. They come as a kit with the oil cooler guard and chain case guard. They come in black, silver and titanium(grey) colors as well. That is what we have on all our street and track bikes.

#13 ·
Cox Guard

I had a Cox guard on my ST2 and it worked well. I'm leaning towards getting the Cox duo for the MTS. Good to hear that the overheating issue isn't an issue.

Moto, was the Cox installation straightforward?

#15 ·
I have the AltRider guards. As all have said, they are a must even if the bike stays on the pavement. I don't have the oil cooler guard but am thinking about getting one.

Depending on which one you choose, the install is straightforward and simple. They affix with either double-sided tape, zip ties or share an attachment point using a bolt.

If you get an oil cooler guard you will have to remove some body panels, the sides and nose pieces.

#18 ·
#30 ·
I got my Evo Tech guards from Malcom at mcmotorcycleparts - $160 for the set shipped to the US. They went on easily and look great.

#32 ·
Bought mine directly from Evotech themselves online, as i expected they were also the cheapest* then ( cut out the middleman :p )

(*compared with other sellers incl. shipment to the netherlands)

#33 ·
I have never fitted these on any of my other bikes so i was never that bothered about fitting the guards but luckily i fitted R&G guards and after cleaning the bike after my last ride i noticed that i had a substantial dint that could have possibly holed my radiator , :eek::eek:

So i would advise any one who hasn't got them to invest now and save in the long run :):):):)

#36 ·
And don't forget the hassle when you suddenly loose all your coolant, for instance on a nice motorholiday through, if your lucky, nice nature and rather uninhabited country, not to mention any language barriers ..... (but speaking for myself, often riding in Germany, france, switserland and Italy, in the US/Australia/etc language would be much of a problem)

But is just like an insurance : as long as you don't need it it is a waste of money ;)

#37 ·
I've had numerous motorcycles, mostly sportbikes and until two years ago never bought any radiator guards. I bought a new BMW S1000RR and with 700 miles on it I got a rock in the radiator which created a nice hole for the coolant to leak from, luckily I was able to get back home. New radiator $720 !!!! Radiator guards $135. So I spend the $135-$160 for guards on all my motorcycles now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.